Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scratch: The Ultimate DJ

Game » consists of 1 releases.

Presumably cancelled, Scratch: The Ultimate DJ was a game played using a turntable controller, the "Scratch Deck," designed by Numark, which promised to "allow players to re-imagine songs on the fly and add their own creativity."

7 Studios Strikes Back Over Scratch DJ Lawsuit

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    In case you're interested in following the continually tangling web of the legal action between Genius Products, Numark, and 7 Studios over the development of the game Scratch: The Ultimate DJ, Ben Fritz has a great breakdown of the countersuit that 7 Studios has filed against Genius, one of the two companies that partnered together to publish Scratch.

Much like the initial suit that Genius filed against 7, the countersuit sounds pretty ugly. Here are just a couple of the allegations:

Genius delayed production because it had trouble getting approvals from Microsoft and Sony to publish on the 360 and PS3 and in fact still doesn't have approval from Sony.

In early April, two executives from Numark (manufacturer of the DJ controller, which is now part of a joint venture that owns the game with Genius) allegedly went to dinner with a "Scratch" producer from 7 and tried to recruit him and other co-workers to finish the game for Numark, informing them it would be taken away from 7 shortly.

I'm not sure if things are still this way, but I seem to remember that promoting your game as coming to specific consoles before receiving concept approval from said console makers is a good way to make enemies right off the bat. Of course, adding to all this, 7 Studios was acquired by Activision somewhere along the way, and Activision is working on a product that would potentially compete with Scratch, DJ Hero. But at this rate, I'm starting to feel like only one of these games is going to ever make it to store shelves.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    In case you're interested in following the continually tangling web of the legal action between Genius Products, Numark, and 7 Studios over the development of the game Scratch: The Ultimate DJ, Ben Fritz has a great breakdown of the countersuit that 7 Studios has filed against Genius, one of the two companies that partnered together to publish Scratch.

Much like the initial suit that Genius filed against 7, the countersuit sounds pretty ugly. Here are just a couple of the allegations:

Genius delayed production because it had trouble getting approvals from Microsoft and Sony to publish on the 360 and PS3 and in fact still doesn't have approval from Sony.

In early April, two executives from Numark (manufacturer of the DJ controller, which is now part of a joint venture that owns the game with Genius) allegedly went to dinner with a "Scratch" producer from 7 and tried to recruit him and other co-workers to finish the game for Numark, informing them it would be taken away from 7 shortly.

I'm not sure if things are still this way, but I seem to remember that promoting your game as coming to specific consoles before receiving concept approval from said console makers is a good way to make enemies right off the bat. Of course, adding to all this, 7 Studios was acquired by Activision somewhere along the way, and Activision is working on a product that would potentially compete with Scratch, DJ Hero. But at this rate, I'm starting to feel like only one of these games is going to ever make it to store shelves.
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By lemon360

cool

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By kraznor

I should be interested in these games as I'm primarily a fan of electronic music but I have pretty low hopes for both.

TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheClap

Dirty stuff

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Pretty weird circumstances involving the development of the game. At least if this ever gets released you can count on Numark to make the "DJ Controller" of high quality.

raikoh05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By raikoh05

so when does beatmania come back and claim the dj game? I feel bad for konami, come on guys make your own damn game.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Psynapse

I'm a DJ myself and not very exited about either of these games. But i guess if you are into the music style that it will offer (presumably hip-hop, electronica) then go for it. If there was a trance/house/drum and bass release i'd be all over it like a rash though.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JoelTGM

wow, childish

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By TOYBOXX

It would be funny to see both versions go under due to their incompetent behaviors.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By _Phara0h_

I say: Let the battle continue.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

hahaha star wars dj's

SubTact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SubTact
    That first video is my homie Skratch Bastid, from the first Skribble Jam he won, I used to be his Webmaster, and he's definitely one of my fav DJs, he's a crazy party rocker.  He has another older routine like that one where he flips Parliment's "Flashlight" into Pink Floyd's "The Wall".  And often he ends battle routines with the Super Mario Brothers Game Over music/riff.

@Captain_Fookup:  Maybe things have changed in the last 2 years I haven't been keeping up with DJ gear, but as long as I could remember, Numark has had a rep for pretty shitty DJ gear.  Granted, this is a toy, so no doubt the quality will be lower then pro gearI personally would rather have Technics involved for the durability factor, or even a company that makes samplers like Akai, Korg or Roland, as the buttons/triggers on the controller are gonna be the parts that get the most abuse.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Media_Master

blablbalbla

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.