Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scribblenauts

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Developed by 5th Cell Media, Scribblenauts is a puzzle-action game for the Nintendo DS in which players can spawn thousands of objects from a vast database to aid in solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles... or just dicking around in silly and hilarious ways. The choice is yours!

Scribblenauts crashes with DSi?

jukie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jukie

Hello, I've read conflicting reports about this, but before I buy I'd like to know more about Scribblenauts' compatibility with the DSi.  Some have said it crashes with DSi.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Thanks!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I've never heard of such a thing.  Are you trying to fun a pirated copy of the game?

jukie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jukie
    @JJOR64:  I haven't bought the game yet.  I came across this review on gaygamer.net:
    I need to begin this review by saying something extremely important: Scribblenauts is not fully compatible with the DSi. I've been playing this game for the several hours and my DSi and its crashed no fewer than 5 times. Sometimes the crashes seem random and sometimes they happen no matter what (for example trying to access level 2-9 in the level editor will crash the game every time), and when it crashes all you can do is turn your DSi off. Most crashes actually happen around the level editor or in the menus, and I've yet to have the game crash during actual gameplay part. The first time the game crashed for me was when I tried to access the Ollar Store menu. The whole screen turned green and music got all funky, just like when your NES cartridges started to go bad. There's absolutely no way accessing a main menu item could possibly be user error; the game's broken.

While it'd be easy to concoct a narrative about developer 5th Cell being so drunk on power from their glowing E3 press they forgot to debug their game, it's most likely not really their fault. The DSi is a new platform that came out while Scribblenauts was in development, and 5th Cell likely didn't have access to the DSi dev kit until it was too late. If it's anyone's fault, it's Nintendo's for making the DSi not 100% backwards compatible. This is probably not the last unexpectedly non-DSi-compatible game we'll see, but as far as I can tell it's one of the first. Surprisingly, I'm going to let the fact that the game constantly crashes slide; the rest of this review is only going to focus on the game itself, not its unfortunate incompatibility with the DSi. It's unfortunate for me, for other DSi users and for 5th Cell, but it doesn't change the fact that Scribblenauts is a pretty amazing game.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64
    @jukie: Hmmm.....  That's really interesting.  Well, I can not check this since I don't own the game.  Maybe some one on these boards can answer your question.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

It could easily be a problem with that one person's DSi. It's too bad he didn't go and try it on another i, or even another normal DS, just to be sure that it's not the card. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.