Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sea of Thieves

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2018

Set in an era of classic piracy, Sea of Thieves is a first-person open-world game where players form a crew of pirates and sail off to find treasure. As it is a "shared world" game, pirate crews can encounter other crews and engage in epic maritime skirmishes.

The Hungering Deep has arrived - is anyone still playing Sea Of Thieves?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1 sweep  Moderator

The first of several announced Sea Of Thieves expansions, The Hungering Deep, has just arrived and claims to contain a new campaign structure, new cosmetics, new world events, and all kinds of other things that players have been asking for since the game launched (and arguably before that).

The Hungering Deep is the first new major content addition to Sea of Thieves, and it’s a direct response to many of the criticisms and complaints the developers fielded from the base game. The new campaign, set of cosmetics and AI threat is more than just an event; the new mechanics represent Rare’s decision to hand the tools to the players and allow them to remain the main characters in a chaotic world of player choice.

It's still early days but has anyone had a chance to experiment with or try out any of the new features? I haven't played Sea Of Thieves since launch, but I'm still interested in knowing how the game is coming along - and I'd be willing to return if I felt there was enough new content to justify it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't believe i bouht this game for 60 bucks :'(. I might as well check this "DLC" out tonight.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really enjoyed it as a chill sandbox sort of thing. I slso grew to enjoy the tension of trying to return loot without getting got by other pirates.

I used gamepass to check it out, and my kid keeps bugging me to get it. In principle, $60 is steep. I’m sure I’ll grab it at some point, assuming the game is properly maintained.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hopefully this is good and they keep adding free content to the game, because it was severely lacking at launch.

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By bloodlines

Started it, don't know how much has been added yet. But anything narrative wise is welcome now.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played it but the big new enemy they added looks pretty awesome. Still not interested in going back to SoT just yet. I'm going to wait for more updates. There is potential there.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to playing this game once/ if it fulfills its potential.

But thanks everyone for checking it out beforehand!

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Got it at launch, still loving it. Play for a handful of hours a week when I can; it's become my go-to chill out game. Had a cool time doing the Hungering Deep thing and made some new friends in the process.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still have my game pass (I'm 40 hours into State of Decay 2 don't judge me) but i have a hard time even launching the game. It doesn't seem like they're adding an actual game with this DLC, just more cosmetics if I read the release notes correctly. I was solo playing on a small sloop in a huge storm, the sound and visual design had me so fucking immersed I was blown away, but there just isn't a game around the look and that makes me sad. Id like to see people turn around on it though more content could fix a lot

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pweidman

I subscribed to xbox game pass for SoT, SoD2, and Crackdown 3. Have played a few other small titles as well on the pass(This War of Mine is pretty good btw.), but I wondered about its worth after playing SoT a few times. But now SoD2 is so freaking addicting that it seems worth it. Free, and desperately needed SoT DLC can't hurt, and I'm betting Crackdown 3 drops at E3, so there's that too. We'll see, and it's easy to cancel, so I guess I say try it out. There's still a trial I think too, 14 days iirc.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the game and enjoyed it for a week or two, but the game is (in my opinion at least) severely lacking in content. I haven't played since, and even with this content update I don't have any intention to play anytime soon. I've payed somewhat attention to reddit, and unless I misunderstood people were done with the "quest" or "mission" or what you want to call it after a few hours. I've also heard it's somewhat a limited time thing and that actually makes me kinda angry. When the game is desperately lacking content like it is, why add something that's limited by time? I half understand it, but I don't like that that's currently what's being prioritized. As fair as "new mechanics" and such I've not heard or read anything about this, so I shall refrain from criticizing this.

This game reminds me a lot of Evolve. It came out, became popular, and then proceeded to die out within a very short time because of limited content. Evolve also had other, more serious issues, but it still reminds me of the game. All this being said I have high hopes that this game will become both fun and popular again at some point, but I don't see that being in the near horizon.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By alistercat

I did and the quest is a HUGE slog. The clues they give are fun but the locations are very far apart so you're just sailing for a long time (whereas a lot of quests are at least sort of around your location).

When we had finished the quest and it was time to face the monster, we couldn't find anybody else to take it on with us. It requires 5 people minimum to summon the monster, and could only manage to find 4 people who wouldn't shoot us. Even if you had a 4 person crew you'd still need to find someone out in the wild and convince them to follow you to the spot. We looked for 2 hours.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dryker

Not to get too off topic, but when are they going to add CONTENT to Pac Man? I mean, really! All you do is chase ghosts around different mazes! Where's a decent campaign?? Where's a decent progression system?? Do they really expect me to play it just to enjoy playing it??? Are they out of their minds?? When they finally decide to add some real CONTENT, I'll consider playing more Pac Man.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@dryker: Brother, let me tell you about a little thing called Championship Edition DX.

Seriously though, Pac-Man is a fantastic game that was intelligently designed and played extremely well. It's a game that will never be forgotten as long as humans are left on the planet. It wasn't just a game where you stared at the water tech for awhile and then fell asleep from boredom. I'll still be playing Pac-Man in various forms for decades to come. Sea of Thieves on the other hand, I played for about 4 hours and dropped because I couldn't believe how much of a void it was. There is nothing in this game outside of how pretty it is. It lacks the "game" in the term "video game". If I had actually payed money for it instead of using game pass (which I would never do, anyone could have saw the lack of content coming a mile away), I'd be right pissed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.