Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sega CD

Platform »

The Sega CD was one of the first CD-ROM based gaming consoles. The extra storage space this medium allowed gave rise to inclusion of full motion video, higher quality audio, and improved graphics in games.

Hooking up my Sega CD so I can finally play Snatcher

Bluesuiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've had this sega CD for awhile, I don't know which version it is but I've bought a few cables to hook it up to my TV, and not a single one of them work. I didn't realize there was such a disparity between versions of sega CDs. Does anyone know what type of cable I need for this? I'm pretty sure I remembered hooking it up with a cord that attached to the s-video/microphone looking plug but I'm really not sure anymore.

I've had a repro of Snatcher I've been wanting to play but can't do that until I figure out what cable I need. Any help would be super appreciated. Or if you have any Sega CD suggestions, I think I only have this, Hook, and Street Sharks

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

I think the Sega CD version of Silpheed is an amazing shoot 'em up, with a really fascinating use of FMV for the backgrounds, as well as a cool hybrid soundtrack using both the Genesis FM synthesizer and CD audio.

Bluesuiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't heard the name Sipheed in a decade. I'm prob gonna check it out

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee847d9468df
    deactivated-5ee847d9468df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What cables did you get before?

I don't remember the Sega CD requiring any additional cables beyond the power supply and a couple of optional composite cables for separate CD audio.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the Genesis. I don't think the first model supports S-Video. So you just have to get a composite cable like this:

https://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B002FY0CM0/

If you want stereo audio from the Genesis itself, you need to use the 3.5mm port on the front.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

Silpheed's great, with some great tunes. Sol-Feace has some kick ass music, as well.

Sonic CD is a pretty easy recommendation, I think, although the style leans toward exploration more than any of the Genesis games.

Eternal Champions. The Sega CD versions had a ton more stuff. Those finishing moves are still kind of amazing.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Forgot they were 3 variations of sega genesis to sega cd combinations depending on which model of each.

Anyway found a website that looks pretty comprehensive of this particular setup with directions on how-to connect and model numbers of ac adapters. Hopefully that helps!

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you are into JRPGs, the original Lunar and Lunar 2 are very good. Shining Force CD is also good. I remember Wing Commander being a decent console port for the time, though I doubt it ages well. Dark Wizard is an interesting Strategy game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.