Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sega Saturn

Object » linked to 24 games

Sega's Fifth Generation video game console. This page is dedicated to games in which a Saturn console makes an appearance.

Netlink still works. The guys should totally do this!!!!

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zabant

Turns out that the sega netlink is still able to be used in 2011 and there is even a small hardcore userbase that still plays the games online. How fucking awesome would it be if the guys managed to get one up and running for a video or maybe even TNT? The actual modem is only like 20$ on ebay and duke nukem for the saturn is also a very common and cheap game and according this the youtube video the most commonly played netlink game. All you need to set this up is a saturn, a phone line and a netlink cabable game. (oh! and someone to play with also)

Am I crazy for thinking this would be an awesome look into online console gaming past? With the upcoming Wii2 and notorious online shy Nintendo and the upcoming Duke Nukem Forever I think the timing is good enough for an excuse to look into it. DNF is the direct sequel to a game that can be played online on the saturn, how crazy is that? For those not counting that is a game series where both the 1996 Duke Nukem 3D and the 2011 Duke Nukem Forever will be playable online, team deathmatch with a FRICKING GAME CONSOLE that's 15 years!. That has to be some kind of record for longest online capable console game series.

Am I an idiot for thinking this is a good idea or should the guys look into it?
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

I think it still works because the saturns are dialing each other instead of a central server. If thats true as long as there is phone lines that stuff will work.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zabant

The guy who made the youtube video also seems like a pretty cool dude. I'm sure he would play with you guys if you cant find anyone to play with. I know you remember Xband Jeff!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zabant
    @Zidd: Sega saturns can be played with each other over thousands of miles using a connection while I cant play Portal2 with my friend on my PS3 online who only lives a few miles away, Where did we go wrong?
    Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Bribo

It's an insane idea.

That said, fantastic video. I loved the Saturn. And dude totally sounds like Bruce Campbell.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jozzy

I think this is a great idea, maybe post it as a formspring question to Jeff?

FlexPlexicoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By FlexPlexicoh

What a stupid idea...

DO IT!
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zabant
    @jozzy: uhh could you send him a message for me? i'm not even sure what formspring is. I no good wif internets
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

I never had a saturn, a sega modem, or Duke Nukem... but yes, we should all do this.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mosespippy

Jeff was saying on the Whiskey Radio Show while the site was down on saturday that they don't have the hardware for recording these old low resolution videos. They are thinking about getting this $7000 machine so they can do it and Tested can use it for cell phones and tablets and stuff that use weird resolutions. Until they get that hardware I don't think they'll do a Saturn TNT.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zabant
    @mosespippy: I would be fine with them pointing a camera at a tv. Hell, do you really care about seeing those Sega saturn games in 1080P?

I seriously doubt the guy in the youtube video has that 7000$ dollar equipment and he managed to get a video signal he could record. I'll understand totally if its too much work and money for one idea though.
    thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By thebobster10

This is awesome! :D

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zabant
    @Bribo: It's great, stumbled on to it today. A year old and under 1000 views. To see somone put what must have been hours into recording and playing and not have anyone watch is sad.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zabant
    @m0rdr3d: yeah if they did it for TNT I would mean only for a humorous glance. They should still totally do a normal game, sort of like when they did that board game and had civ5 at the same time. Except without the board games, because nobody wants to see will not knowing to to play snakes and ladders.
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By NickLott

Saturn Bomberman is the best Bomberman ever.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zabant
    @nicklott: The ONLY bomberman as far as i'm concerned, shit had 10 player multitap support.
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mosespippy
    @Zabant: I don't need them in 1080p but I won't watch them in 240p or 480i. The games could also be 224p or 448i which their broadcast equipment can't recognize because they are non standard resolutions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.