Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadowrun Returns

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

Shadowrun Returns is a turn-based RPG created by Harebrained Schemes.

Dragonfall is pretty fantastic!

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Anyone else been playing this?

I'm a few hours in and I've been enjoying every second, really fun missions and a pretty compelling story so far. I feel i've been more understanding than a lot of the other people who had complaints about the original campaign and was just thrilled with the base game anyway, but this campaign will please a lot of people who had those original complaints (saving anywhere, some classes more relevant than others, open-endedness, multiple ways to approach missions). Just overall pretty pleased this turned out so well.

I enjoy how they give you a core group of runners with individual backstory but also let you optionally hire runners if that's more your style.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Please let me know how you feel by the end. I really wanted to love Shadowrun Returns but the flaws annoyed me so much (and disappointed me since I was actually thinking about diving deep into the editor leading up to release).

Avatar image for deactivated-650f737f2e2d5
    deactivated-650f737f2e2d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Really enjoyed Shadowrun Returns. I completely forgot Dragonfall existed until a couple of minutes ago. So does your character carry over, or are you starting fresh in this?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Glad to hear it. Loved Returns and can't wait to get some time in on Dragonfall.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rethla

Really enjoyed Shadowrun Returns. I completely forgot Dragonfall existed until a couple of minutes ago. So does your character carry over, or are you starting fresh in this?

You start fresh.

Shadowrun Returns was the best game 2013 for me and even tho the story aint as good and compelling in Dragonfall it makes up for it with improved gameplay and doesnt dissapoint. I just wish these games was bigger and longer, cant get enoug of it, maybe Cyberpunk will be the game to rule them all.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was very happy with the opening and very happy to start a fresh character. I loved my Street Samurai from the first game but this is giving me a great opportunity to build a decker which totally made the intro to that game even more fantastic.

Haven't played much past that yet as I am trying to tie a bow on my Saint's Row IV playthrough but I should have plenty of time to play it before Titanfall emerges.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are the classes you get in your provided team?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely loved Dragonfall. The characters and the plot just really worked due to excellent writing. It makes an extremely strong case for having no VO and letting writers do their thing.

@tennmuerti: There is a core team who have strong characterisation and plots; those include a weapons expert, a street samurai, a shaman and a decker, but as well as those they gave a stable of hirelings like Dead Man's Switch had, in case you really want a rigger or something.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

@hayt: Yea I just started playing it myself, but the decker dies in the intro mission, or do you get another decker later? I just chose to be a decker myself, but if you get another one soon I'd rather roll up a mage while I'm not too far in. Thanks btw!

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hayt

@tennmuerti: minor spoilers: you get another decker in the hotel mission, so not too far into the game

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Thanks a bunch, i'll roll a mage then, since I haven't played one in vanilla.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: No problems, enjoy, I rolled a mage also and had a great time. The astral projection "inspect" options were a really cool addition.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It definitely is, I'm just few hours in though so can't say overall. But so far I can already see that the quality of writing has jumped significantly and the party members seem also like a fun bunch to talk to.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Christoffer

Count me in. It wasn't long ago I finished Shadowrun, though, so I will wait a while to play the new campaign

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! I've been playing it, and it's wonderful. I really like how there are actual party members that join you that you get to know, Mass Effect Style. I also like the save option, too. Really good stuff. next to the Banner Saga, best game I've played this year, no doubt!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Big step up from the original. If they can keep making these at 15 bucks a pop, I'll keep buying them.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jaktajj

@artisanbreads: Really close to finishing it now, and all I can say is it's one of the best games I've played in a while! Being a long time Shadowrun fan, I loved the game that came out last July but accepted it's flaws. This expansion really does the license justice. God, I hope they make another!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@el_tajij: cool thanks for following up. Definitely will check this out. Might take a look at the editor too if they win me back.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they make more like this, or at the very least, I hope the modders are inspired enough to make more campaigns like this one!

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

This is seriously excellent DLC. Certainly on a par with the main game (if not better).

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

@el_tajij said:

@artisanbreads: Really close to finishing it now, and all I can say is it's one of the best games I've played in a while! Being a long time Shadowrun fan, I loved the game that came out last July but accepted it's flaws. This expansion really does the license justice. God, I hope they make another!

If they keep making them, I will keep buying them. Hopefully this has been a profitable venture for Harebrained and they make another!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti

Oh hey! Have been meaning to put down my final thoughts on Dragonfall after finishing it last week.

Dragonfall is excellent!

It's everything the vanilla campaign should have been and more. It improves on almost every aspect of the game. From simple quality of life additions, like manual saves anywhere, increased movement speed over long distances, auto healing and reloading after combat, to just a plain better story.

I really think the campaign itself is naratively more interesting, and unlike the vanilla campaign Dragonfall does not suffer from tapering off towards the end, it keeps ramping things up. They seem to have taken a lesson from the grandaddies of western rpgs and gave you a proper party, with unique individuals with their own quirks and stories, that just makes for a more interesting game and allows parallel narrative threads to flesh out and bulk up the game a bit story wise. The more straightforward approach to: "you are a shadow runner so you do proper jobs, full on" is also a welcome change, it makes the whole thing feel more cohesive and reasonable. I also really like the straight up, messed up moral/ideological situations the game puts you in, they are direct and are quite blunt, they don't beat around the bush, but without being pedantic good/evil stuff, they seem natural at the same time, very well done all in all, both in the jobs and the main story.

The bigger hub is also welcome. As are a slightly bigger variety of tactical options, more gear spells and mods. Deckers feel useful too, without feeling like a requirement, if you want you can substitute a party member or not take him altogether is also fine, but being one yourself or having one along is always worthwhile too. The added default expenditure on team paymentss during missions is and neat trick too, as it makes you much less apprehensive about spending just a tiny bit of extra money for hired help.

At the same time I still think that the base mechanical systems like character progression, combat, gear are too simplistic. But really with Dragonfall being just an extra campaign, I think they have taken these base game mechanics almost as far as they can be stretched. The developers have clearly shown aptitude to improvement and figuring out what works better and what doesn't, so I would really like them to start working on a full sequel. This setting, their narrative and their art style can be taken to much grander heights imo. I just imagine a bigger more open world game of Shadowrun in the scope of say Fallout or BG2 and with more intricate character/combat system and more stuff to do outside of combat, it could truly be amazing.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I started playing this on a whim after getting frusturated with another game last night. I gotta say I was expecting to play just a little bit and then probably hit the sack but that opening campaign was super interesting and cool that I probably played a few more hours before stopping cause it was getting late

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tennmuerti: Everything you've said makes me very happy. I wasn't particularly fond of the OC's story (Me and other GM friends have written better told tabletop stories) but I really hated the ending of the whole thing. Hopefully my decker character won't be a paper-weight in 90% of the story like last time.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Manachild

Yeah Dragonfall has substantially better writing and quest structure than the original campaign. I'm glad that the directors cut version of the game will supposedly be making it so people can play this campaign stand alone, cause when dragonfall is available the OC is basically not even worth playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.