Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shelter

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 28, 2013

From the creators of Pid and Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Shelter is a game about being the mother of baby badgers.

It's on sale on Steam, worth it?

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Coafi

Shelter is on sale for $5, is it worth it? How long is it?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Read some reviews and decide for yourself:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/shelter

And hey, even if you buy it and don't love it, it'll only have cost you five dollars.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@coafi: Its actually part of the latest Groupees bundle. You can get it for a dollar along with Electronic Super Joy. I bought it an haven't tried it yet, but I think the game is a few hours. Idle Thumbs podcast had a segment about it at some point.

https://groupees.com/bmx

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BisonHero

@humanity said:

@coafi: No and it never was.

As mean as it sounds, I tend to agree? The colour palette is way more washed out than it needs to be. Someone did a photoshop that showed what it could look like if it wasn't so drab, and I vastly preferred that because it became almost Wind Waker-y once they made shit more colourful. Maybe they're trying to be as drab as an actual forest is most of the time?

Also, the gameplay just didn't grab me from looking at it. I mean, being a mother animal and looking out for your kids seems cool, but when Patrick played it, all of the scenarios seemed so video gamey and scripted and linear, and not particular representative of nature. If I'm going to play a gamey-ass video game where you play as an animal and have offspring, I'd rather just play Tokyo Jungle.

If you have a PS3, play Tokyo Jungle instead. It's so fucking weird.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger
    Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

http://www.bundlestars.com/ has it as part of their current bundle

Thank you for making me aware of this, I remember hearing about this game on (I think either Gamers With Jobs or PC Gamer UK podcast) and it sounded like the most brilliant thing ever but promptly forgot about it :3

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

Add me to the 'nah, not really' club. I generally appreciate what they tried to do, but ultimately, I think it falls flat.

The graphics have a distinct style. However, as BisonHero mentioned, it's all very washed out - presumably a deliberate style choice. Also, everything has very conspicuously tiled textures, another deliberate style choice. Neither of these things seem to make any sense to me, I definitely feel the game would look much better otherwise.

In terms of gameplay, I only found it moderately engaging. There's not a great deal to explore; there's usually a lot of food, so your children's hunger level seldom becomes a pressing concern; and avoiding hazards can become very frustrating. If you are going to play it, I would strongly recommend not trying to keep all of your children alive - it becomes oppressively difficult (not a good way).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.