Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

SEGA hasn’t given up on Shenmue 3

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Gump

Screenshot of Shenmue.
     Screenshot of Shenmue.

According to Sega, they would love to to a third game, but the first two games didn’t sell too well – making Sega worried about returning. However, Sega reassures fans that if they’re is opportunity to go back, they would love to. The only way I can see this happening is if Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo fund the project and make the game an exclusive for their console. Which I can’t ever see happening. In which case, maybe it’s time to let Shenmue rest in peace.

[ LINK]
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I think this has probably been known for awhile. Maybe not officially, but c'mon. Just like any company when asked about an older franchise, they'll give the response of "Yeah maybe. We have no current plans, but maybe someday, who knows?" They're never gonna say "No, we will never continue that franchise in the future ever again." Especially for Japanese, as they're even more likely to say "maybe" rather than "no." And that's not a remark about the Japanese, it's part of the language barrier that's lost in translation.

I'd love a Shenmue 3, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, if at all.

EDIT - Also, instead of having a Shenmue 3, and the possibility of Sega messing it up, I think I'd rather just have 1+2 released digitally on PSN/XBLA and with achievments. With the games left intact. Maybe have the movement controls adjusted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.