Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 15, 2004

Help Serph and the Embryon learn the truth of the Junkyard while devouring their foes in the hopes to eventually ascend to Nirvana.

Should I buy SMT: Digital Devil Saga?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

Is it any good? Also, Ive only played the Persona games that are related to SMT but I suspect that this is nothing like those games, right?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Stang

Yes, it is good. Only play it if you plan on playing the sequel also though. And no, this is nothing like Persona. If you are looking similar to Persona, Nocturne would be your best bet.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Venatio
    @Stang said:
    " Yes, it is good. Only play it if you plan on playing the sequel also though. And no, this is nothing like Persona. If you are looking similar to Persona, Nocturne would be your best bet. "
    So Nocturne is the sequel? Also, I suspect that I would have a hard time finding Nocturne, I have however found Digital Devil Saga for cheap
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stang

No. Nocturne is its own entity, it has nothing to do with Persona, DDS, or Devil Summoner. It is an actual SMT game. If you are familiar with Persona, you will feel right at home with Nocturne. It is my favorite rpg on the ps2. Heads up though, normal mode on Nocturne pisses all over hard mode in P3/P4. You will be getting your ass kicked regularly, unless you are using a faq.

And you are lucky, Amazon has it for $45 right now. It seems like a lot, but that is a steal!

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Venatio
    @Stang said:
    " No. Nocturne is its own entity, it has nothing to do with Persona, DDS, or Devil Summoner. It is an actual SMT game. If you are familiar with Persona, you will feel right at home with Nocturne. It is my favorite rpg on the ps2. Heads up though, normal mode on Nocturne pisses all over hard mode in P3/P4. You will be getting your ass kicked regularly, unless you are using a faq.

And you are lucky, Amazon has it for $45 right now. It seems like a lot, but that is a steal! "
    What is the sequel for DDS called? Also, do these games have voice acting in them?
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Venatio
    @Stang said:
    " No. Nocturne is its own entity, it has nothing to do with Persona, DDS, or Devil Summoner. It is an actual SMT game. If you are familiar with Persona, you will feel right at home with Nocturne. It is my favorite rpg on the ps2. Heads up though, normal mode on Nocturne pisses all over hard mode in P3/P4. You will be getting your ass kicked regularly, unless you are using a faq.

And you are lucky, Amazon has it for $45 right now. It seems like a lot, but that is a steal! "
    What is the sequel for DDS called? Also, do these games have voice acting?
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stang

The Sequel to Digital Devil Saga is Digital Devil Saga 2. Nocturne does not have voice acting. Digital Devil Saga does.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Venatio
    @Stang: Thanks for the info, Im gonna try to buy SMT:DDS as soon as I can
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stang

No problem Venatio. A lot of people only have exposure to P3 and P4, they are missing out on some truly classic games Atlus games.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Venatio
    @Stang: Its all thanks to the Endurance Run that Im am interested in Shin Megami Tensei, I bought P4 after watching a couple of episodes and a little while later I bought P3:FES, I also wanna try P1 and P2

But Im not really interested in Devil Summoner after watching the Endurance Look on GB but DDS looks cool
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang

Devil Summoner definitely  is not for everybody. I can tolerate it in small doses, but I have not found myself playing for hours on end like the PS2 Persona iterations or Nocturne. P1 and P2 are meh to me, I had them both way back in the day, I don't recall beating either one.

You will enjoy DDS. I really do recommend Nocturne though. If you can beat that on default dificulty, you will have no problem beating P4 or P3 on hard mode.

ac3x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By ac3x

I suspect that most people getting into SMT games as a result of the endurance run are going to like DDS 1 & 2 more than Nocturne or Devil Summoner, mostly b/c of the voiceovers and modern look.  Both Nocturne and Devil Summoner are very UNLIKE P3 and P4, have no voice work, and I find the artstyles of Nocturne and Devil Summoner 2 kind of grating.  Also, Matador is a bitch.

Finally, if you have a DS I think SMT Devil Survivor is one of the best games you can get for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.