Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 20, 2003

As the world comes to an end through the acts of a cult's sacrifice, a teenage boy is transformed into the Demi-Fiend, neither fully human nor demon. With opposing forces fighting to shape a new world, he has the power to guide the path of its creation.

I like persona 3 and 4...

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
    PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By PistolPackinPoet

Would I like this game? I mean I'm a type of gamer who likes a challenge, especially in RPGs. I've heard good things about Nocturne so I was wondering if I should pick it up from Amazon for 30 bucks. Though I have a couple of questions before buying it.

Is the soundtrack done by Shoji Meguro? Is there voice acting or is it unlike the persona series? 

I really want to get into the Shin Megami Tensei series and Persona was fun and all, but I want see how great this game is. 

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Elazul

I don't know, it's a VERY different game. It's a lot more of a traditional RPG with towns and a world map, but it's also a hell of a lot harder. There's far more enemies with instant-kill spells and towards the end of the game the random deaths can get extremely frustrating. Gameplay wise it's not too far off, although instead of getting a set party like in Persona games you have to recruit enemies to fight with you, which actually makes the fusion system a lot more relevant since it applies to everyone in your party instead of just the main character like in P4. Also I'm not sure who composed the soundtrack.

In my opinion it's not as good as the Persona games, but if you feel like taking a risk and can handle a very serious and at times cheap difficulty level, then by all means go for it. There's a lot worse RPGs out there.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By C2C

The soundtrack is done by Shoji Meguro, so it's quality stuff. There is no voice acting seeing as this came out a tad early in the PS2s life span if I remember correctly. 

Thematically speaking, it is a much darker game than the recent Personas.  The Social Link aspect in the recent Personas is not here either, so the only other way to boost your party (aside from grinding) is through fusion.  It makes it a much more straight laced JRPG without the S. Link distraction.  It is also a much harder game and is quite unforgiving compared to the Persona games.  

That being said, Nocturne is my 2nd favorite ShinMegaTen RPG with the first being Persona 3.   The story is great, and it has that old-school JRPG difficulty that you don't see anymore. 

EDIT: oh and it also has a lot more replayability since there are like 6 endings to the game.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SpiralStairs

Well, it's not quite as story driven as P3 and 4. It's the presentation and the atmosphere that make it worth playing. As for difficulty, I encountered no problems on the normal setting. Only had to grind once. There's a lot of random battles too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.