The Persona 4 stage play is currently running!

#1 Posted by Hailinel (23861 posts) -

So for those that aren't aware, Persona 4 has been adapted into a stage play. It's currently running in a limited engagement that began on March 15th and is scheduled to go through the 20th. I can't comment on the quality of the play itself; I haven't seen any reviews of it in English, but Siliconera did post some images from the debut performance. If nothing else, the production team really nailed the costume design. Some extra bits of knowledge are that Teddie is voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi, his actor from the original game and the anime, and the protagonist's name apparently changes from performance to performance.

Here are some of the images Siliconera posted. The rest can be seen in their article here:

Hey, they have more than four fighters in their party!
Kanji is undoubtedly preparing to render someone bent.
Adachi, and his trusty cabbage.
#2 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

I generally don't like JRPG's, and I've known for a while that even among some people that don't like JRPG's that this is something special, but I didn't know it was special enough to make a play out of.

Guess I should, at some point, play this.

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

This seems a little silly. I love Persona 4 a lot but why make a play of it? Who idea was it to turn Persona 4 into a multimedia thing? The anime, Play, Magazine.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (23861 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

This seems a little silly. I love Persona 4 a lot but why make a play of it? Who idea was it to turn Persona 4 into a multimedia thing? The anime, Play, Magazine.

It's not uncommon for such media to be turned into stage productions in Japan. A number of anime and manga in the past have received similar adaptations. The lead in the Persona 4 play previously played a role in a play based on Prince of Tennis, for example.

#5 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

That is crazy and awesome and weird.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I would have found this weird and crazy, but they already did a Phoenix Wright play... after that anything is possible.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35982 posts) -

Damn it, I'm already having enough trouble adjusting to this (I wanted to say something about her voice, but I'm adjusting to that fairly well); I don't want to make more adjustments! Also, plays don't have subs, right?

#8 Posted by Hailinel (23861 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Damn it, I'm already having enough trouble adjusting to this (I wanted to say something about her voice, but I'm adjusting to that fairly well); I don't want to make more adjustments! Also, plays don't have subs, right?

Not unless they're recorded on video and subtitled afterward.

#9 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Hailinel: I had no idea it was a common thing. Does the actor get any lines? How does that Work?

#10 Posted by Hailinel (23861 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel: I had no idea it was a common thing. Does the actor get any lines? How does that Work?

I'm not sure on the specifics of the story or script. I imagine that he does have some dialogue, but I don't know if it's limited, like early in the Persona 4 anime, or extensive, like later in the series. Another thing to note is that the play does not include Rise or Naoto as cast members, nor does it appear to feature the human form of Teddie.

#11 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Hailinel: How can it be a Persona 4 play without human Teddie? That is just not right.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (23861 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel: How can it be a Persona 4 play without human Teddie? That is just not right.

It probably doesn't cover the entire narrative. If it doesn't somehow end on a cliffhanger or leave room for a sequel, I'd expect it to be a heavily changed adaptation that tells the story differently.

#13 Posted by forkboy (1115 posts) -

@believer258: You could always just watch the Endurance Run instead.

But yeah a play of a video game is pretty crazy to my eyes. But I can see Persona 4 working in that context.

#14 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

I must totally see this! Please, let there be recordings of this play! No matter the quality, I'll buy a DVD/Blu-Ray of this production.

#15 Posted by BadSniper52 (603 posts) -

Looks cool and crazy but haven't been to a play since 2006 so maybe I look it up in the future.

#16 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

I like Persona 4, but I don't know if I would like a play form of it. Sidenote: if they haven't made a ridiculous Phoenix Wright play I would be disappointed. I feel like that would be amazing.

#17 Edited by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

@NegativeCero: I have a really strong feeling that there was at one point a Phoenix Wright play. They're also working on a live-action film adaptation.

Edit - A quick google search tells me that the Phoenix Wright play was an all female(crossdressing) musical.

#18 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

Someone record this.

#19 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

@YI_Orange: Of course it was. As long as they had a lady with spiky hair yelling "Objection!" in Japanese, I would be satisfied.

#20 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I would really like to see how they do the fighting shadow stuff, because the hanging out going in school, scooby-investigation stuff are common themes in anime , do they just pose and the battle music starts to play? ... I must see it! the idea is dumb.

#21 Posted by CaptainSandwich (75 posts) -

I've seen the Bleach stage productions...I think there were over three. Many characters weren't there, since Bleach has too damn many, but if those are any indication of what Persona's fight scenes will be...

Let's just say there isn't much anyone could've done.

#22 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

This is all so weird, a stage show is just a little too much.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (23861 posts) -

@Vexxan said:

This is all so weird, a stage show is just a little too much.

Like I said before, in context, it's not that weird. It's pretty cool that they put this together, though I hope the end result is a good one.

And I just noticed that I have over 500 posts in the Persona 4 forum alone. Whoa.

#24 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

so no plans on vinny and jeff doing voiceover for it?

#25 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -

Dude, Persona 4 is all over the place! That game came out in '08! I can't remember any game that got an anime, a spin-off, an extended version and a play(?) after more than 3 years of its release. This is madness!

#26 Posted by Irvandus (2818 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

That is crazy and awesome and weird.

Yep, If it was in New York I'd go see it. I'd expect it to be terrible, but I'd love it for it.

#27 Posted by CaptainSandwich (75 posts) -

NECROBUMP.

#28 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

Wow that is all sorts of strange, somehow Kanji running around with a folding chair is the least weird thing on stage.

#29 Edited by CaptainSandwich (75 posts) -

And Japanese Dr. Drew is Yuu Narukami.

#30 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

It's so weird that this exists. What's happening on stage looks a lot like what went down in my back yard when I was 7, swinging fake swords at imaginary enemies. Their budget is slightly higher, it seems.

#31 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1351 posts) -

Can you imagine watching that, never having heard of Persona 4 and speaking no Japanese? It would look like a transmission from a different fucking PLANET.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (35982 posts) -

WHAT IS THIS AND WHY DO I WANT MORE OF IT!?

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Like Tennessee Williams, this speaks true to the voice of a generation and will reverberate across not only the theater but all art forms, for hundreds of years to come.

#34 Posted by bigjeffrey (4774 posts) -
#35 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

Oh man, it's too early to think about this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.