Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Difficulty Jump?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Undeadpool

I just beat the game on Chieftan as Japan (I thought it was Easy, not Beginner) and now want a real challenge because I STEAMROLLED the other Civs (though actually got a science victory). How big of a jump is Chieftan to Prince? This is essentially my first Civ game (I played II when I was too young to really know what I was doing), so I want a challenge, but I don't want to be overwhelmed. Can any Civ vets give me some pointers?

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mason

It's a bit of a jump, but if you feel you understand the basics like how to increase food production without destroying happiness or how to keep your gold from going in the red, then you won't have trouble. 

Warlord is barely a step up from Cheftain so you probably won't be satisfied. I'm not the highest level player and I find Prince provides a good challenge. Every level after that starts to handicap you and gives the AI advantages.

On Prince I win most games, but there's enough opposition that I'm not perpetually in first place.  I end up neck-in-neck with at least half of the Civs, which makes the game way more engaging than just building your empire and treating other Civs like speedbumps in the way. 

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Undeadpool
    @mason: The problem became I felt like my troops had fallen through a time warp. I had Mechanized Infantry and my opponents had archers and swordsman. I think I'll try jumping to Prince, I never even got in the red in terms of income and only in terms of happiness when I was annexing new cities too quickly. Thanks!
    Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jerome85

considering that the AI is ridiculously moronic you shouldn't have a problem beating it on the higher levels.  they really made this game a lot easier this time around.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By mason
    @Undeadpool:  It's true, the AI is completely exploitable in all difficulty levels. There's almost no naval opposition and in battles they shamble towards you like zombies with little regard for formation. But in higher difficulty they're better at keeping up with tech, culture and gold so the time traveling factor isn't as bad. It still happens, but less I'm rarely fighting a starting warrior unit with a musketman.

Also, in setting up games I tend to add more opposing Civs than the default suggests. Some Civs end up being fodder, making bad decisions in the early game and never catching up (or being conquered before I even meet them). So you start against 8 civs, but it ends up that only 3 of them are good enough to last. Adding more Civs means a better chance that you'll have actual opposition.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mosdl

Prince you will have to manage happiness better and you won't be able to just build all buildings and still be in the green.

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Biggest thing you'll notice is the barbarians will be more persistent than they were on chieftain.  The AI will suck just as hard but build and tech faster.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Wuddel

Ramp up the difficulty. Do not play as Japan. Go for a non-conquest victory. And you got your challenge.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Hunkulese

If you have any strategy at all you'll still find prince ridiculously easy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.