Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

An icy re-imagining of the classic Silent Hill, which trades weapons for frantic chase sequences as the player tries desperately to flee pursuing enemies. It takes on more of an adventure game format than traditional survival-horror.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories a forgotten gem

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I find the best cure for guilt, is to never get caught in the first place - Dr. Kaufman
    I find the best cure for guilt, is to never get caught in the first place - Dr. Kaufman
    Lost in a beautiful storm
    Lost in a beautiful storm
    Ice world creatures known as Raw Shocks
    Ice world creatures known as Raw Shocks

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a unique game that first was released back in 2009 on the Wii and then later ported to the PS2 and PSP it's a shame it never made it to the 360, PS3, and PC. The game is a reimagining of the original Silent Hill game. You play as Harry Mason who gets into a car crash in a snow storm and his daughter goes missing. You as a player talk to a therapist leading up to the events after the crash. What is interesting about this game is that it psychology profiles you the questions the therapist ask you, your answers will have an affect on your game and characters you meet down the road. The atmosphere in this game is stunning the snowy setting feels very immersive and comforting at times. But the game can change in a instant and the town will start getting completely covered in ice and creatures will come and chase you. Your goal is to escape and find a exit there is no weapons but only a flare to scare them away temporarily. Another interesting mechanic in the game is that you can use your cell phone to not only call random numbers in the game world but also use it as a camera to take pictures of ghost and get a audio message after to tell their story. The soundtrack in this game is phenomenal it was the last time Akira Yamaoka from the original team silent developers made music for this series. The ending of the game has a major twist that was cleaver and felt very satisfy. To sum it up Silent Shattered Memories was a interesting title that pushed innovation and story telling. You can tell the Devs of the game Until Dawn where very inspired by this there is alot of similarities from a shrink to the butterfly effect. I feel Shattered Memories was ahead of it's time and it's a shame that not many people have played this game because it was a Wii mature game and a very late PS2 and PSP game. SH:SM is a forgotten gem that deserves a HD remaster so everybody can experience it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#1 fisk0  Moderator

Yeah, I own the PS2 version (which was very hard to track down in PAL territories by the way, seemed like it had a very limited release) and it's a fucking fantastic game. Really wish it would get a rerelease.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I remember people criticising this game due to it's simplistic gameplay. How things have changed. Most horror games seem to have adopted the run and hide mechanics this game used. I loved the atmopshere and the therapy sessions but I still wish there was a little more to it.

Also I feel the game would be lessoned without the Wii stuff, kind of like how Zombi U was a worse game without the gamepad stuff.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have kept my Wii out for years now with the thought that I would start this game over and actually finish it this time. Maybe this thread is a sign and the time has come in October 2017.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was too scary..... I couldn't do it.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Howardian

I've never played a Silent Hill game (aside from a few hours of Homecoming and 8 minutes of SH2), and yet I feel incredibly nostalgic and kinda emotional whenever I see Silent Hill mentioned. The vibes of that franchise are powerful, like no other I've seen.

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. Played the game on PSP at launch and had a great time with it. Can't believe that was 8 years ago already...

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*reads header*

Yes.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I had it on PSP. Would like an HD remaster. The PS2 version is rare and I don't have a Wii.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I agree. It's not conventionally scary because it's predictable insofar as you can tell when you can die and when you cannot, but exploring the creepy environments was eery as heck. I loved it.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By geirr
    pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s the second best Silent Hill game behind 2. The only one I never played was 4 but I feel confident that Shattered memories is better.

I’m still annoyed that 4 wasn’t in the HD collection, even if they were bad ports.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza:
    I really loved Silent Hill 4 for personal reasons; I want more people to give it a shot but it's not the most approachable game in the series and it's clunky af. Yes Shattered Memories is "better" however SH4 stands on its own with its own identity which I appreciated after SH3 was more of the same.

panicswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently playing SH3 and I've been thinking about playing through more of the series after this. I already beat 2 so I might have to track down Shattered Memories. I have heard 4 and Homecoming are not great but I still might try 4 just to see what it's about.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By htr10

@panicswitch:

Homecoming isn't a good game, but if you are into the Silent Hills vibe, it still could be worth playing. I enjoyed playing it years ago despite its problems.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh the game that almost got me to buy a wii, still never got round to playing it. The whole controller as a torch thing seemed like a really cool idea.

panicswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10: I've really liked what I've played of 2 and 3 so I might be worth it just to try at least some of Homecoming. I've been doing this whole play-through thing on my Twitch channel as a way to motivate myself to finish these games.

Avatar image for deactivated-59e0abae9ea9c
    deactivated-59e0abae9ea9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, this was the only Silent Hill game that i hated, love the rest of the SH games but this one failed in my opinion. I found this one really boring, completed it on both PS2 & PSP and i hated this one.. it just didnt have the same feel as the rest of the SH games, for thoes who like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories thats fine but to me personally, i fckin hated it, it was a waste and it could have been better

butterstick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one ever talks about this game when referring to good Silent Hills. This is definitely up there beside 1 and 2 for me. The calm exploration of the town in silent snowfall was unsettling, yet beautiful. You can walk around at your own pace and discover ghosts, find phone numbers on billboards that you can call. And then it would flip on a dime and youre getting chased by cannibal children which you have no chance at fighting. It had great music, an interesting take on the first game's story, and a pretty innovative psychlogist mechanic. This game was definitely ahead of its time. I wanna play it again now.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: I always really wanted to play it. I loved the concept of going through holes in your apartment that transport you to the town and always thought it was cool that your apartment changes over time.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenver I heard conversations about this game it always sounded extremely fascinating. But I never really got a chance to play it, so I have mostly admired it conceptually from afar. But I was also never really into the Silent Hill games at the time, so it's relation to that probably didn't help motivate me to keep track of it enough not to miss it being on PS2/PSP eventually. Always thought of it as a Wii game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.