Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

Cheetah Speed

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Jeff claiming that Cheetah speed was only added to SimCity last month in 2 of the GOTY podcasts is really getting on my nerves now.

Cheetah speed was put back in SimCity on the 9th of April, only a month and a couple of days after release (http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4206816/simcity-cheetah-game-speed-returns-update). If you're going to insult a game at least do it for a valid reason, otherwise you just look ignorant.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

@chavtheworld: As much criticism as SimCity deserves (and it deserves a lot), you are correct that people should actually understand what they're talking about when they do deliver that criticism. This is unfortunately a bad habit that Jeff has in podcasts, as it's hardly the first time he's made wildly inaccurate critiques, but most if not all members of the staff have been guilty of this at one time or another.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They jumped to conclusions at cheetah speed! BOOM!

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@chavtheworld: It bugs me when the dudes argue clearly incorrect facts also, but would this specific correction actually change their opinions on the game? I hope not.

The damning thing is that Maxis had to disable features in their own game to try and improve stability at launch, and didn't re-implement "cheetah speed" for over a month after the game launched. Pretty unprecedentedly awful. It may have been way less time than Jeff was implying, but what actually happened is still shockingly pathetic and should never be overlooked if we want developers to ever stop selling broken games.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately the game still sucks.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This happens fairly often all over the video game internet. Ah well.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm probably not the person to talk to about that, as I actually like SimCity.

It shouldn't matter if you like it or not. We can't brush the launch of this game away and forget about it, or we'll just doom ourselves to more and more non functional games in the future (ahem... BF4). When "post launch apologies" wins GB's Please Stop award, you know there's a problem, and SimCity was by far the worst example of that this year.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By spraynardtatum

Cheetah Speed is a lie. It's nowhere near cheetah speed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
    deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yo I heard Simcity is a broken nightmare of shit but I wanna but it. Holla at me.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think it's more about when people checked back in on simcity

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Regardless, it's still the years biggest disappointment by far.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the deliberations it didn't matter to them if it was patched in April 9 or Dec 28.

Or another way to look at it: It is fine to yell at someone for fibbing or being hyperbolic about details like that but don't let EA or Maxis off the hook either because they fibbed about the features.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Are you sure that it stayed the entire time since April? I mean they fact checked it in a later podcast, reading an email from early November about it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I am pretty sure it was removed more than once and re-added more than once. I remember reading that anyway. Don't quote me on it, though.

Fact checking ruins comments and I don't have time as I'm at work.

I don't really care either way because the game launched a mess, was designed poorly from the ground up, and stinks of shitty always online EA bull shit.

I never thought Maxis would be destroyed. How could it? Clearly I was wrong and that makes me sad. It makes Will Wright sad too.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Either way, we are still arguing about the colour of the train in the trainwreck. Doesn't really matter.

I actually thought the game was pretty good for what it was, but was still massively disappointed.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they were going by that email Brad read which seemed to indicate that it had been disabled then re enabled again recently. I think that's what they were referring to. Regardless of that particular fact that game was still a mess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.