Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

Which should I play?

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By squiDc00kiE

So I've put a handful of hours into the new SimCity, and while I don't think it's a bad game, in fact I think it's pretty good, it's not what I am looking for at the moment. So here's my dilemma. Do I go back to SimCity 4 which I loved when I was younger, or go the CitiesXL Platinum route? Does SimCity 4 hold up well enough if I was a young teen when it first came out? Is CitiesXL a worthy alternative? Is there another game that fits the bill I'm not thinking of?

Any help would be appreciated.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

SimCity 3000. Done.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Everybody has their favorite, SimCity 4 is great for terra-forming and really digging into the complicated side of city building, but it can be daunting for the first few hours.

But it looks great doing it. I would start there, it can be had for less than $5 if you catch it at the right time on sale on Amazon or Steam.

I also really like the Tropico series.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Simcity 4 is still a good game and doesn't actually look that terrible for its age. I would say Simcity 2000 but that might be a bit tough for someone just starting. They tell you very little about what to do.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@squidc00kie: I personally think 3000 is more elegantly designed than 4. And 2000 is pretty old by now and it feels. 3000 at least doesn't feel that old. That said, I haven't played 3000 in a long while.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have any experience with Anno 2070 or the Tropico series? I know they're different but could they scratch the same itch?

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Anyone have any experience with Anno 2070 or the Tropico series? I know they're different but could they scratch the same itch?

Those are both good games. I didn't play a ton of Anno, but I enjoyed what time I spent with it. Tropico I've spent a good amount of time playing and it is a lot of fun as well.

I don't know if I could personally say either is better than Sim City, but they're worth a look for sure.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jams

I busted out my 'ol copy of Simcity 4 since all the Simshitty talk has got me worked up for the games of yore. I have to say I think it's the pinnacle of the series. They messed up not building Simcity more from there.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Mayor Jeff Gerstmann of Petaluma in my SimCity 4 game is telling you that SimCity 4 is still pretty great. And let me tell you about Petaluma... boy what a shit hole! Heavy industries, trailer park community and one ginormous landfill. It serves it's purpose. Mayor Drew Scanlon from neighbor Concord seems to like having Petaluma nearby.

Go live in Concord people.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: People talking about SimCity is the greatest thing about SimCity.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By endoworks

@squidc00kie: Sim City 4 still holds up rather well. The version on Steam has all the updates and expansions so the better roads/mass transit does help. I've gave Cities XL a lot of tries but it doesn't run very well once your city gets big in my experience and I have a rather beefy system. So if you liked Sim City 4 I'd say, play Sim City 4.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Cities XL does a lot right. There are huge city areas, nice 3D graphics, zooming to street level, terraforming, curved roads, etc. Just be warned that it lacks the charm and polish of a Maxis game. Bugs, clumsy menus, and bad translation remind you that you're playing a B-level game, but it does scratch that city building itch.

You might also want to check out Anno 2070/1701, and Tropico 4. They're different than the city building in SimCity and Cities XL, but fun in their own ways.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squidc00kie said:

The Anno games are great, but they don't offer the same thing as SimCity (or even that similar an experience imo). Cities XL is closer, but still not a great alternative (or at least it wasn't - I haven't checked the latest releases).

The problem is no other games really nail that feeling of the city being a living thing like old SimCity games used to. In most other city-bulders you build the city and it's built, and that's kinda it. The addictive part of SimCity was that you set the framework and managed the conditions, and then watched the city flourish or not. It was more like gardening than building.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.