Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dwarf Fortress

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 08, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player, high fantasy simulation game in the style of old ASCII Roguelikes. You can control either a Dwarven clan attempting to build a settlement or a single adventurer in a randomly generated and persistent world complete with its own unique history.

My first bit of "fun" in dwarf fortress...

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By mikemcn

How a mad dwarf made me realize the most fun part of Dwarf Fortress, is the losing...

I finally got into dwarf fortress using This guide and this mod. My first fortress attempt was a bit of a bust because I made a bunch of mistakes, but my second attempt went fantastically, and I soon had a large working base filled with 2 dozen busy dwarves.

I was unprepared for the winter and lost two miners to thirst, a sad loss, but I quickly recovered, replacing the two dead miners with a extra woodcutter and a peasant who had nothing better to do. The wood cutter (Erbert Ghouslist- Henceforth referred to as Ebert) got along fine in his new role, and the fort continued to expand. We were rudely interruptted by the vengeful spirit of one of the dead miners but they were put to rest by properly burying them rather than leaving them outside in the dump.

Things were back to normal after that, but then, Ebert, the woodcutter, began acting rather strange. It would turn out that some sort of supernatural force had overcome him, he had been sleeping restlessly for days, and something got to him. He was possessed, but I though nothing of it at the time, I let him continue on with his work and ignored his occasional mental wanderings that slowed him down. He had alot on his mind after all.

But while he was digging out a reservoir to insure the next winter wouldn't end in death from thirst, the tunnel he was in collapsed, Ebert was knocked unconcious, and was dragged back to the dormitory. He woke up wandered down to the mess hall, and went berserk...

He began attacking everyone in the fortress, two stray dogs tried to fight him off, both were killed and subsequently, Ebert slayed the only mason I had and one of my carpenters. The messhall was covered in blood, Ebert, and his two victims were dragged off while coffins could be prepared for them. The dogs were left in the dump outside. I breathed a sigh of relief however that my losses had been so minimal.

Now I don't know if the fright of Ebert's break with reality had caused mass hysteria amongst the remaining 20 or so dwarves, or if something more mundane had occurred to make them lose their grip, but things got worse, the next day, everyone in the fortress began throwing tantrums, refusing to do work, to leave their dorms. They broke furniture and began drifting off at random, much like Ebert had before his outburst. Soon they followed Ebert's lead and one by one, all went berserk The bodies piled up in the dump, the fortress was at war with itself, and as such nothing could get done, the coffins for the first 3 men never came... A trade caravan that had come from a distant outpost to do business, was met with a group of rabid dwarves. the traders were slaughtered with the exception of two of their guards who fled to the hills.

I lost 15 men to the chaos, before things settled down. After 3 hours of Dwarf Fortress, my seemingly successful attempt at survival had failed miserabley. I could not recover from such a loss, with only 6 men left to operate a fortress of more than 20, and having had much of my base torn up, I decided to call it quits.

It was, however, a ton of fun...

No Caption Provided

In short, Dwarf Fortress is a crazy game, filled with alot of surprises and rewards. You should all try it. (It is free afterall.) With a good tileset (The game's ASCII graphics leave much to be desired) to make things a little clearer and a solid guide to show you whats up, its not so hard as it seems. Just Watch out for evil spirits and possessed dwarves.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mikemcn

How a mad dwarf made me realize the most fun part of Dwarf Fortress, is the losing...

I finally got into dwarf fortress using This guide and this mod. My first fortress attempt was a bit of a bust because I made a bunch of mistakes, but my second attempt went fantastically, and I soon had a large working base filled with 2 dozen busy dwarves.

I was unprepared for the winter and lost two miners to thirst, a sad loss, but I quickly recovered, replacing the two dead miners with a extra woodcutter and a peasant who had nothing better to do. The wood cutter (Erbert Ghouslist- Henceforth referred to as Ebert) got along fine in his new role, and the fort continued to expand. We were rudely interruptted by the vengeful spirit of one of the dead miners but they were put to rest by properly burying them rather than leaving them outside in the dump.

Things were back to normal after that, but then, Ebert, the woodcutter, began acting rather strange. It would turn out that some sort of supernatural force had overcome him, he had been sleeping restlessly for days, and something got to him. He was possessed, but I though nothing of it at the time, I let him continue on with his work and ignored his occasional mental wanderings that slowed him down. He had alot on his mind after all.

But while he was digging out a reservoir to insure the next winter wouldn't end in death from thirst, the tunnel he was in collapsed, Ebert was knocked unconcious, and was dragged back to the dormitory. He woke up wandered down to the mess hall, and went berserk...

He began attacking everyone in the fortress, two stray dogs tried to fight him off, both were killed and subsequently, Ebert slayed the only mason I had and one of my carpenters. The messhall was covered in blood, Ebert, and his two victims were dragged off while coffins could be prepared for them. The dogs were left in the dump outside. I breathed a sigh of relief however that my losses had been so minimal.

Now I don't know if the fright of Ebert's break with reality had caused mass hysteria amongst the remaining 20 or so dwarves, or if something more mundane had occurred to make them lose their grip, but things got worse, the next day, everyone in the fortress began throwing tantrums, refusing to do work, to leave their dorms. They broke furniture and began drifting off at random, much like Ebert had before his outburst. Soon they followed Ebert's lead and one by one, all went berserk The bodies piled up in the dump, the fortress was at war with itself, and as such nothing could get done, the coffins for the first 3 men never came... A trade caravan that had come from a distant outpost to do business, was met with a group of rabid dwarves. the traders were slaughtered with the exception of two of their guards who fled to the hills.

I lost 15 men to the chaos, before things settled down. After 3 hours of Dwarf Fortress, my seemingly successful attempt at survival had failed miserabley. I could not recover from such a loss, with only 6 men left to operate a fortress of more than 20, and having had much of my base torn up, I decided to call it quits.

No Caption Provided

In short, Dwarf Fortress is a crazy game, filled with alot of surprises and rewards. You should all try it. (It is free afterall.) With a good tileset (The game's ASCII graphics leave much to be desired) to make things a little clearer and a solid guide to show you whats up, its not so hard as it seems. Just Watch out for evil spirits and possessed dwarves.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TobbRobb
    http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/
    Obligatory link.
    I've always wanted to get in to this game, but never had the patience. It's a lot of fun to read about at least.

Wink wink, If you started a regular update about a fortress, I would read it. Wink wink.
    MrChuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrChuckles

Haha yeah, the games nuts with how crazy the shit that can go down becomes. Funny how its always the ones who have easy access to weapons are the crazies...

The stories the game brings are easily the best part. Heres a bit about a fort I'm playing now.

[small spoiler about a type of invasion in it, nothing major but it is intended to surprise you]

I've had these badgers living above my entrance on the hilltop I've dug into. They never really did to much, sometimes getting angry at the odd woodcutter or fisher that walked by, but never bothering me so I left them be. Mid summer of my second year a group of human traders show up. They get near my door/trade depot before  showing themselves as an invasion! My drawbridge was down, people all over, military chilling at the barracks, it looked like a bloodbath was going down for me, until I see the badgers come down from the hilltop and start battling with the invasion force. By the time my troops show up and I get all my civilians inside and lock up, the badgers had routed the invaders. Needless to say I'll be giving them the royal treatment from here on.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Dwarf Fortress is one of two games (the other being EVE) that I enjoy reading about more than actually playing.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

Yep, Dwarf fortress is effin crazy, if it wasn't for the almost impenetrable interface it would be pretty much a perfect game, also the adventurer mode is one of the best roguelikes around imo.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fripplebubby

Wow, what with the graphics mod that looks playable. When I see screenshots with ASCII I generally let out a resounding "nope". I might just try this out now. 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SSully

Fuck. This is the exact kind of thing that got me into minecraft. Some jerk like yourself comes on here and tells this awesome story and gets me super pumped for the game. I end up buying/downloading it, and playing it way more then i should. I hope you are happy.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By onarum
    @Fripplebubby said:
    Wow, what with the graphics mod that looks playable. When I see screenshots with ASCII I generally let out a resounding "nope". I might just try this out now. 

Ah yes, without a tileset this game is really unplayable for me as well, it literally changes everything, also the lazynewb pack comes with the absolutely awesome soundsense tool  that adds seasonal music and a boat load of sounds that makes the entire experience 200% better.

also here's a video explaining the basics of the game for newcomers by the great captnduck, it's 2+ hours though... but that's because the depth in this game is pretty much unparalleled.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikemcn

@TobbRobb said:

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/ Obligatory link. I've always wanted to get in to this game, but never had the patience. It's a lot of fun to read about at least. Wink wink, If you started a regular update about a fortress, I would read it. Wink wink.

I resettled the abandoned fortress from this post, so Im sure I'll have another story to tell, right now im cleaning up everything, I have to bury all the dead and clean up the blood that was left over from my first game in that fortress. I might post something about it later. I'm glad you liked it!

@SSully said:

Fuck. This is the exact kind of thing that got me into minecraft. Some jerk like yourself comes on here and tells this awesome story and gets me super pumped for the game. I end up buying/downloading it, and playing it way more then i should. I hope you are happy.

I'm very happy =) and if you play, find a tile set (That mod I posted above has a few built in.) and look at some guides (The One I posted is the best i've seen.)

@onarum said:

@Fripplebubby said:

Ah yes, without a tileset this game is really unplayable for me as well, it literally changes everything, also the lazynewb pack comes with the absolutely awesome soundsense tool that adds seasonal music and a boat load of sounds that makes the entire experience 200% better.

also here's a video explaining the basics of the game for newcomers by the great captnduck, it's 2+ hours though... but that's because the depth in this game is pretty much unparalleled.

The Lazy Newb Pack is fantastic, it adds alot of helpful tweaks and installs easily.

@Fripplebubby said:

yea seriously, the game's ASCII graphics are very discouraging, but the various tilesets make it infinitely more playable.

@PeasantAbuse said:

Dwarf Fortress is one of two games (the other being EVE) that I enjoy reading about more than actually playing.

I would argue that Dwarf Fortress is more playable than Eve alot of the time. You can play Dwarf Fortress for an hour and feel like you've done something, whereas in Eve, you spend alot of time idleing, there is always something to do in Dwarf Fortress.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

You sound like you're talking about a popular game.. most of us don't know it, introduce us to it before cutting to the chase :P

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fripplebubby
    @Mikemcn said:

I would argue that Dwarf Fortress is more playable than Eve alot of the time. You can play Dwarf Fortress for an hour and feel like you've done something, whereas in Eve, you spend alot of time idleing, there is always something to do in Dwarf Fortress.

Actually,  I found out yesterday that it's quite possible to play EVE and Dwarf Fortress at the same time! Efficiency. 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikemcn

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

You sound like you're talking about a popular game.. most of us don't know it, introduce us to it before cutting to the chase :P

Theres a wiki attached to every forum post broski.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mikemcn:  boooooooriiiiiiiiiing
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I love Dwarf Fortress, especially the stories that come out of it, but I'm incapable of playing it myself.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SSully

@Mikemcn: I downloaded the set you posted and the guide. Everything went well, but when i hit embark the game just closed. I am sure it is an easy fix, but everything before that was interesting.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By TwoLines

Yep, sounds awesome, but the interface is horrible. Too bad, cause it looks like my kind of game...

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By dabe
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Lol, if you find that boring, Dwarf Fortress is not a game for you. 

Anyways, OP, awesome story and great to see another DF2 aficionado in this cesspit.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sjupp

@Mikemcn: Oh fuck yes! Thank you!! I played this once a year or so ago and it went to shit! (Not in any type of exciting manner like yours did) Currently downloading this and trying to relearn this stuff. Maybe I'll play this for the 24 hours charity marathon?

Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arestice
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

I thought it was quite popular on the internet.  

@Mikemcn said:

I could not recover from such a loss, with only 6 men left to operate a fortress of more than 20, and having had much of my base torn up, I decided to call it quits.

Obligatory image that's too big to post. Yet sums up DF nicely. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mikemcn
    @SSully

@Mikemcn: I downloaded the set you posted and the guide. Everything went well, but when i hit embark the game just closed. I am sure it is an easy fix, but everything before that was interesting.

Its relatively unstable when creating a world, after that it shouldnt crash, keep trying, ive had numerous crashes before getting something that worked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.