Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Wei Shen is a dangerous man. The first 10 hours of Sleeping Dogs.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Edited By Sackmanjones

NO SPOILERS HERE!

Karaoke and air guitar confirmed 
         Sleeping Dogs has come a long long way. From Black Lotus to True Crime and even to cancellation. However, by some miracle, the newly titled Sleeping Dogs has released and its actually a pretty damn good game. I can understand some peoples uncertainty towards it, even after the generally favorable reviews, so I just wanted to inform the people on the edge about the game and help you make your decision.  First off, I am playing the PC version on all high settings, running at a pretty constant 60 fps.   

I tried to hit the gas tank but failed horribly 

Sleeping Dogs is an open world crime game and it's near impossible to not bring up the name Grand Theft Auto while talking about it.  You drive, you shoot and you fight your way through the game just as you do in GTA, but the game feels like its own product. It embraces its setting and "Hard Boiled" inspiration to great effect. You can jump out of your car and onto someone elses, jump out of your car in slow motion while firing your gun at endless goons in mid air, it's just plain fun. The story keeps it rather serious from where I'm at but there is definitely humor in some random citizen dialogue such as the parking garage attendant wishing he could live your life.... but only for one day. 

Gameplay wise, Sleeping Dogs is well rounded and does some things better than others.  The driving (I think) is rather good and satisfying but from what I've read this changes based on the player. It's a much more arcady feel where the cars can turn better than they should and the hand brake is the ONLY brake you should be using.  The driving is made for you to maneuver through each turn whether it be an open highway or tight alleyway.  There is even an "attack button" for the vehicles.  By the simple press of a button your car will jerk in a certain direction to slam into a cop car or an unfortunate pedestrian minding their own business. Like I said, it embraces its cinema setting.  Shooting..... well to be honest I haven't done much shooting in my 10 hours with the game except for a few side missions. From what I've played the shooting seems fine, nothing wrong with it and nothing amazing. The guns sound decent but they look a little too large in proportion to Wei which makes it look a little funky. A cool mechanic you can mix with the traversal (more on that later) is you can slide across benches in slow mo while picking off bad guys which is always fun.  
    This time I must have hit the gas tank 

Where the gameplay really shines is the hand to hand combat. This is without a doubt the best hand to hand combat in an open world game. It's bloody, brutal and just a ton of fun. It takes the base idea of  Batman: Arkham City's hand to hand combat and establishes it in a more...grounded reality lets say.  Wei Shen doesn't back flip to his next target, he doesn't glide across the floor for a counter, he is a man trained in martial arts, not  a super-hero.  He may not be a super hero but he still can kick some major ass, every punch packs an brutal feeling and some of the moves, like the leg break are grotesque and fantastic at the same time. It's based on a counter system, an enemy will outline in red and Wei can counter and in some cases disarm an opponent. Instead of gliding to counter though, if you are too far Wei actually grounds himself, preparing for the hit and if you time it wrong you'll pay for it. Probably the biggest thing though is grabbing enemies. Once you grab hold, you have a few options at your disposal like running a dude into the closest wall or pushing their head into an air conditioner (which ends with a bloody mess). You can even just flip the enemy over with a powerful takedown or charge your enemies and tackle them to the ground. Different enemy types vary how you fight. Larger enemies can't be grabbed but can't block either, some enemies are block heavy but are very open to grabs. There is a lot of options and variety in the hand to hand, and so far I have loved every bit of it. 

Another highligh is the traversal of the city. Wei Shen is a very mobile character.  He can climb large walls, slide across tables and car hoods,  dodge people in a crowd and like I said before, jump from car to car to get what he needs.  The system gets a little wonky sometimes but overall it works very well and just the act of chasing someone is a rush.   
       To add to the depth, there are not one, not two, not even three but four separate upgrade paths. You have the Cop path (which you gain doing drug busts and being "nice" during missions... like not running into property or people), this tends to upgrade things with your guns and cars.  There is the Traid path, which you gain points for just beating the living shit out of your enemies (throwing is ALWAYS encouraged). This you might have guessed, adds to your hand to hand combat. You have a face upgrade path that are just basic power ups. There is only one path to this however (compared to the others which have 2). These include things like people bringing you your car or being able to get discounts on items.  Lastly you have the martial arts skill path. You don't really gain points for this one, you find statues during missions and for each one you find you get to learn a new move for your old martial arts master. So if you want, there is a ton to unlock in Sleeping Dogs.

As far as missions go and the general world, there is a decent variety with some repetitive instances.  The main mission as well as multi part side missions have so far been really varied and exciting. This helps thanks to the already interesting story and really well written characters. Then there are the side missions which have so far come in a few varieties. One of which is a series of drug busts throughout the city in which you do the same thing over and over. It does get a bit repetitive but the combat is so fun that it helps fight off the repetitiveness.  On top of this, it feeds into one of you 4 upgrades areas. The second set of side missions are very quick minute long sessions that deal with petty things like chasing a thief. Again, it gets a bit annonying but it helps you upgrade and chasing a thief as I said earlier is just a joy to do.  There are other things you can do in the city like buy clothes which contain bonuses if you match certain pieces, buy cars to keep in your garage, and buy food and drinks which act as power ups in combat.  The world is also very dense with people and cars during the day but are barren late at night and stormy. The city feels ALIVE in Sleeping Dogs and along with its already unique setting it creates a wonderful atmosphere to be in. 

Voice acting so far is excellent, every character has his or her own personality and it shows well. It helps create emotion in the story which I haven't dug too much into but I'm already invested. The basic story revolves around Wei Shen who is an under-cover cop trying to infiltrate the Triads. That's all I'll say about the story, if you wanna know more you'll just have to play it!  To go along with this, the PC version of the game look FANTASTIC! The lights of the city, movement in combat and reflections off cars look absolutely great. The characters are pretty good but there are some weird animations that hurt them just a tad. I'll add some screens I took below but know this. This is a GREAT PC game, tons of graphical options and with it all turned up it is one of the best looking open world games out there. 
    You can't see it but Wei actually bobs his head to the music 
     Sleeping Dogs is easily the most surprising game I've played this year. While it doesn't do anything groundbreaking it is a hell of a game to just play.  I'm 10 hours in and have barely touched the story so I know I have a lot more ahead of me and can't wait to see it.  I hope this helped some of you on the edge and if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can. Thanks for reading! 

This game looks excellent, in case I forgot to mention that . Click on pcs for best resolution
    This game looks excellent, in case I forgot to mention that . Click on pcs for best resolution
    EDIT:    

Sorry, Im gonna add a few more pictures because I just love how the game looks haha 

Busted my nice ride =(
     Busted my nice ride =(

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This is a GREAT hospital hallway 

Dr. Shen 
    Dr. Shen 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

NO SPOILERS HERE!

Sleeping Dogs has come a long long way. From Black Lotus to True Crime and even to cancellation. However, by some miracle, the newly titled Sleeping Dogs has released and its actually a pretty damn good game. I can understand some peoples uncertainty towards it, even after the generally favorable reviews, so I just wanted to inform the people on the edge about the game and help you make your decision.  First off, I am playing the PC version on all high settings, running at a pretty constant 60 fps.   

Sleeping Dogs is an open world crime game and it's near impossible to not bring up the name Grand Theft Auto while talking about it.  You drive, you shoot and you fight your way through the game just as you do in GTA, but the game feels like its own product. It embraces its setting and "Hard Boiled" inspiration to great effect. You can jump out of your car and onto someone elses, jump out of your car in slow motion while firing your gun at endless goons in mid air, it's just plain fun. The story keeps it rather serious from where I'm at but there is definitely humor in some random citizen dialogue such as the parking garage attendant wishing he could live your life.... but only for one day. 

Gameplay wise, Sleeping Dogs is well rounded and does some things better than others.  The driving (I think) is rather good and satisfying but from what I've read this changes based on the player. It's a much more arcady feel where the cars can turn better than they should and the hand brake is the ONLY brake you should be using.  The driving is made for you to maneuver through each turn whether it be an open highway or tight alleyway.  There is even an "attack button" for the vehicles.  By the simple press of a button your car will jerk in a certain direction to slam into a cop car or an unfortunate pedestrian minding their own business. Like I said, it embraces its cinema setting.  Shooting..... well to be honest I haven't done much shooting in my 10 hours with the game except for a few side missions. From what I've played the shooting seems fine, nothing wrong with it and nothing amazing. The guns sound decent but they look a little too large in proportion to Wei which makes it look a little funky. A cool mechanic you can mix with the traversal (more on that later) is you can slide across benches in slow mo while picking off bad guys which is always fun.  

Where the gameplay really shines is the hand to hand combat. This is without a doubt the best hand to hand combat in an open world game. It's bloody, brutal and just a ton of fun. It takes the base idea of  Batman: Arkham City's hand to hand combat and establishes it in a more...grounded reality lets say.  Wei Shen doesn't back flip to his next target, he doesn't glide across the floor for a counter, he is a man trained in martial arts, not  a super-hero.  He may not be a super hero but he still can kick some major ass, every punch packs an brutal feeling and some of the moves, like the leg break are grotesque and fantastic at the same time. It's based on a counter system, an enemy will outline in red and Wei can counter and in some cases disarm an opponent. Instead of gliding to counter though, if you are too far Wei actually grounds himself, preparing for the hit and if you time it wrong you'll pay for it. Probably the biggest thing though is grabbing enemies. Once you grab hold, you have a few options at your disposal like running a dude into the closest wall or pushing their head into an air conditioner (which ends with a bloody mess). You can even just flip the enemy over with a powerful takedown or charge your enemies and tackle them to the ground. Different enemy types vary how you fight. Larger enemies can't be grabbed but can't block either, some enemies are block heavy but are very open to grabs. There is a lot of options and variety in the hand to hand, and so far I have loved every bit of it. 

Another highligh is the traversal of the city. Wei Shen is a very mobile character.  He can climb large walls, slide across tables and car hoods,  dodge people in a crowd and like I said before, jump from car to car to get what he needs.  The system gets a little wonky sometimes but overall it works very well and just the act of chasing someone is a rush.   
       To add to the depth, there are not one, not two, not even three but four separate upgrade paths. You have the Cop path (which you gain doing drug busts and being "nice" during missions... like not running into property or people), this tends to upgrade things with your guns and cars.  There is the Traid path, which you gain points for just beating the living shit out of your enemies (throwing is ALWAYS encouraged). This you might have guessed, adds to your hand to hand combat. You have a face upgrade path that are just basic power ups. There is only one path to this however (compared to the others which have 2). These include things like people bringing you your car or being able to get discounts on items.  Lastly you have the martial arts skill path. You don't really gain points for this one, you find statues during missions and for each one you find you get to learn a new move for your old martial arts master. So if you want, there is a ton to unlock in Sleeping Dogs.

As far as missions go and the general world, there is a decent variety with some repetitive instances.  The main mission as well as multi part side missions have so far been really varied and exciting. This helps thanks to the already interesting story and really well written characters. Then there are the side missions which have so far come in a few varieties. One of which is a series of drug busts throughout the city in which you do the same thing over and over. It does get a bit repetitive but the combat is so fun that it helps fight off the repetitiveness.  On top of this, it feeds into one of you 4 upgrades areas. The second set of side missions are very quick minute long sessions that deal with petty things like chasing a thief. Again, it gets a bit annonying but it helps you upgrade and chasing a thief as I said earlier is just a joy to do.  There are other things you can do in the city like buy clothes which contain bonuses if you match certain pieces, buy cars to keep in your garage, and buy food and drinks which act as power ups in combat.  The world is also very dense with people and cars during the day but are barren late at night and stormy. The city feels ALIVE in Sleeping Dogs and along with its already unique setting it creates a wonderful atmosphere to be in. 

Voice acting so far is excellent, every character has his or her own personality and it shows well. It helps create emotion in the story which I haven't dug too much into but I'm already invested. The basic story revolves around Wei Shen who is an under-cover cop trying to infiltrate the Triads. That's all I'll say about the story, if you wanna know more you'll just have to play it!  To go along with this, the PC version of the game look FANTASTIC! The lights of the city, movement in combat and reflections off cars look absolutely great. The characters are pretty good but there are some weird animations that hurt them just a tad. I'll add some screens I took below but know this. This is a GREAT PC game, tons of graphical options and with it all turned up it is one of the best looking open world games out there. 
     Sleeping Dogs is easily the most surprising game I've played this year. While it doesn't do anything groundbreaking it is a hell of a game to just play.  I'm 10 hours in and have barely touched the story so I know I have a lot more ahead of me and can't wait to see it.  I hope this helped some of you on the edge and if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can. Thanks for reading! 

EDIT:    

Sorry, Im gonna add a few more pictures because I just love how the game looks haha 

Busted my nice ride =(
     Busted my nice ride =(

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Dr. Shen 
    Dr. Shen 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zungerman090

God damn it. This sounds GREAT. Can't believe that I promised my girlfriend that I will only play it when we get back to UK. I want it now. Also, in relation to your PC's specs, how is the performance? Do you think it would run relatively well on a PC with older parts? How optimised is it?

Oh also, I love the fact that there is a tourist outfit in the game and if you wear it, all the prices increase by 20%. Hilarious

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Metalhead79

@zungerman090: It runs quite well on PC. I have a first generation Core i7 overclocked to 3.8ghz with a GTX670. I'm sitting at 50-60 FPS (vysnc on - screen tear FTL) with everything max except for AA which is set to normal. I've read that on console the game is nothing to write home about visually, but I'll say that on PC it's straight up gorgeous. I have read on the Steam forums that people with the older Radeon 5800 series cards are able to hit 60 FPS by turning down settings like shadows to normal from high. It does seem to be pretty well optimized.

As far as the UI and controls go, it feels very much like a PC game to me. The only thing I don't like is the camera when driving it's....weird.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zungerman090

@Metalhead79: I know this will sound a bit weird, but will I be able to run this on medium if I can run Darksiders 2 without any graphical hitches? I am using a laptop at the moment, so I am not exactly expecting graphics to blow me away, but I should at least be able to play it without it looking horrible and with dodgy frame rate, right? Wish they released a demo, so I could at least figure it out. I am not so keen on figuring it out using less legal ways.

Also, what exactly is the effect of anti aliasing? Could never figure that out.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By falserelic

He's an undercover cop he does what is necessary, and I love every minute of it. I've been playing this game for 3 days now and kicking ass. The shooting portions is abit underwhelming but the hand to hand combat is brutal. Smashing someone face with a fan never gets old. I feel like I'm a star in a over the top action movie.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @zungerman090

@Metalhead79: I know this will sound a bit weird, but will I be able to run this on medium if I can run Darksiders 2 without any graphical hitches? I am using a laptop at the moment, so I am not exactly expecting graphics to blow me away, but I should at least be able to play it without it looking horrible and with dodgy frame rate, right? Wish they released a demo, so I could at least figure it out. I am not so keen on figuring it out using less legal ways.

Also, what exactly is the effect of anti aliasing? Could never figure that out.

Glad I could pump you up for it! But anyway it sounds like you'll be fine. The great thing about the game is there are a TON of graphical settings, on top of a texture pack you can download for high end pcs. I'm pretty confident if you can run darksiders 2 you'll be ok. But the anti aliasing for me has been an issue. For some reason it destroys my frames way more than it should (I have a pretty new card) but the great thing is that it's not entirely necessary. I believe it just smooths up rough edges, something youd hardly notice actually playing the game. Also I'm playing on a game pad so I can't say how mouse and keyboard work but I've heard they are mostly fine. Hoped this helped!! Oh and here are my specs:

3.6 ghz phenom quad core (3.8 turbo)
    8gb of ram
    Hd 7950 factory overclocked with 3gb of VRAM

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Metalhead79 Glad to see I'm not the only one getting their frames slashed with AA turned up. I feel like my card should be able to take it but it doesn't. Any ideas why? And yes, on pc this is easily one of the best looking open world games. Everything from the lighting to reflections on cars looks stellar.
    zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zungerman090

@Sackmanjones: What do you think about the HD texture pack? Did you try the game with and without it? How much of a difference is it?

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By larryrules138

I have a moderately old Core i5, a GTX 560TI and 8GBs of Ram and am able to run the game maxed (but with AA set to Normal) with the HD texture pack. According to the in-game benchmark I had a high of ~80FPS and an average of 56, which is pretty damn good considering it's a brand new game cranked up. Load times for me are almost non-existent and my hard drive is old and shitty. I couldn't be happier with the performance; all devs need to look to UFG/Squeenix for an example on how to treat the PC user base. I thought them saying "don't worry PC users, we didn't forget about you!" would just be an empty promise, but it really seems like they went out of their way to optimize Sleeping Dogs for the PC.

The HD texture pack does indeed make a difference, but it's somewhat slight. I noticed the most difference on the quality of the signs that hang above shops weirdly enough. It's true to its name; textures are for sure at least a little sharper across the board, but it doesn't radically alter the quality of the visuals in my experience.

Here's a few screens I snapped off. I always miss opportunities to take screens of great-looking scenes but I did manage to capture a few.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

e: I'm a pretty piss-poor photographer but these give an idea at least. In the first picture with Shen looking over the side into the water (something he does automatically when you step to the edge), immediately behind him is a beautifully-shadowed, forested walkway which I totally neglected to take a picture of.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FourWude

I'll pick it up when it's half price. Along with Darksiders 2.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

I've been playing this basically non-stop since it came out and I'm having a blast with it. My problem though is that the combat could be better. I was hoping it was teetering on the insane side like Yakuza where you'd be able to beat people with bicycles, road signs, and whatever crap is laying around the street. It's pretty good, but I was never a big fan of the batman-style combat to begin with, so I can't say this is my favorite system.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MikkaQ

I've been playing this basically non-stop since it came out and I'm having a blast with it. My problem though is that the combat could be better. I was hoping it was teetering on the insane side like Yakuza where you'd be able to beat people with bicycles, road signs, and whatever crap is laying around the street. It's pretty good, but I was never a big fan of the batman-style combat to begin with, so I can't say this is my favorite system.

Curious as to know why you don't like the batman style of system. I mean sleeping dogs borrows they base of it but I think most of it is it's own. Now I've never played yakuza but I like to think the combat can get pretty insane. I beat up some guy with a bag and one of my favorite environmental attacks is when Wei shoves the guy into a phone stand, grabs te phone and starts slamming him in the face with it. Totally unnecessary and totally awesome haha. Glad your enjoying it though
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @themonkeyworks Thanks! Ya I really enjoy the random bits from people among the streets. My favorite is when I stole a car I remember the guy yelling to me "fine YOU can make the payments too!" I just love how the city reacts pretty well to you

@larryrules138 Yup the game looks great. I took all the screenshots in the blog and have plenty more but didn't wanna just fill it up with that stuff.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

@Sackmanjones said:

@MikkaQ

Curious as to know why you don't like the batman style of system. I mean sleeping dogs borrows they base of it but I think most of it is it's own. Now I've never played yakuza but I like to think the combat can get pretty insane. I beat up some guy with a bag and one of my favorite environmental attacks is when Wei shoves the guy into a phone stand, grabs te phone and starts slamming him in the face with it. Totally unnecessary and totally awesome haha. Glad your enjoying it though

Well Yakuza seems to take that stuff just one step further. On one hand, it's not nearly as brutal, but on the other hand, basically any fight can end with you crushing a dude with a motorcycle. It's just slightly more crazy. It's also kinda Japanese in the sense that it is combo heavy like a character action game. I guess I've just been enjoying the "feel" of that more than the one button to hit, one to counter, one to grab mechanic that Sleeping Dogs has.

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By larryrules138

@Sackmanjones said:

I beat up some guy with a bag and one of my favorite environmental attacks is when Wei shoves the guy into a phone stand, grabs te phone and starts slamming him in the face with it. Totally unnecessary and totally awesome haha.

My favorites so far both happened within the same fight. One guy I shoved face-first into a roaring furnace, and when he withdrew from it his upper body was on fire until he was totally burnt nearly to a crisp, falling dead. He didn't die immediately though, so as I'm fighting other guys I see him flailing around on my peripheral screaming until he collapsed. One of the other enemies I grabbed hold of and ran over to a fridge, and Wei proceeded to open it, put the opponent's head in the fridge and slam the door extremely hard multiple times on the dude's head. The sounds of his skull crushing were delightfully disgusting.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By jay_ray

I was really hoping Sleeping Dogs would be the Arkham Asylum of this year. So far I think Sleeping Dogs is up there.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FritzDude

Thanks for your input. This game looks like a lot of fun, too bad I can't afford it right now - technically I can, but I shouldn't - after my recent PC purchase.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @larryrules138

@Sackmanjones said:

I beat up some guy with a bag and one of my favorite environmental attacks is when Wei shoves the guy into a phone stand, grabs te phone and starts slamming him in the face with it. Totally unnecessary and totally awesome haha.

My favorites so far both happened within the same fight. One guy I shoved face-first into a roaring furnace, and when he withdrew from it his upper body was on fire until he was totally burnt nearly to a crisp, falling dead. He didn't die immediately though, so as I'm fighting other guys I see him flailing around on my peripheral screaming until he collapsed. One of the other enemies I grabbed hold of and ran over to a fridge, and Wei proceeded to open it, put the opponent's head in the fridge and slam the door extremely hard multiple times on the dude's head. The sounds of his skull crushing were delightfully disgusting.

Hoooooly shit I haven't seen that yet but it sounds great. I just love how te action is slightly over the top and just plain nasty sometimes
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravenlight

@Sackmanjones:

What a well-written review. I could almost mistake it for something the staff wrote up.

Sleeping Dogs completely surprised me. I bought it because I have an unhealthy addiction to preordering games to get TF2 items, but I've been playing it to the exclusion of Darksiders 2 which I expected to spend all my time with this week.

Like you and @larryrules138 mentioned, the quality of the PC release of Sleeping Dogs is a welcome revelation, especially amid Darksiders 2's lackluster graphics options and the doom and gloom surrounding Dark Souls' port. Even on my old-ass 4850 and Athlon II, the game looks great on even moderate settings with the HD textures enabled and maintains a good framerate.

Echoing the sentiments of everyone, the hand-to-hand combat is great. Every new environmental finisher I find is a brutal, often bloody joy. The comparison to Rocksteady's Batman games is apt; in both the Batman games and Sleeping Dogs, whenever I take a hit, I can tell it's because I screwed up my positioning or counter, not because the camera got stuck on a corner to because the AI is cheating.

The only problem I really have with the gameplay is the driving. The camera seems to always point in the direction I'm moving and often is not the way I want to be looking, especially if I just made a tight turn or am trying to go from reverse to a forward direction. I've also had a few hilarious moments where I hit the "dash" button instead of the handbrake and completely demolished a crowd of civilians. That one's on me, though.

I also have to reiterate how alive the city feels. I'm not sure how big it is compared to, say, GTAIV or Saint's Row: The Third but it feels more real thanks to the verisimilitude afforded by densely-packed streets and alleys and the almost claustrophobic buildings hemming in the interior of the city.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Barrock

Beat it a few hours ago. Really enjoyed it. Thought I might 1000/1000 it but I can't force myself to get the gold star things.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Ravenlight Wow I appreciate the compliment, thank you! And you know what I agree with everything you said. I didn't mention it but the camera while drivin, especially going in reverse can be a pain. It never turns the way I want it too and it gets a bit jarring but it's nothing that destroys the driving experience for me. As far as the cities size, I wanna say its a bit smaller than Gta and saints row but it's still a large city. it really does have an amazing atmosphere with crowded streets that even react to weather. I mean some roads have construction, like they are repaveing the street. It didn't have to be in there but it does wonders to the setting. Glad your enjoying the game as well though and again thanks for the kind words.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Jay_Ray said:

I was really hoping Sleeping Dogs would be the Arkham Asylum of this year. So far I think Sleeping Dogs is up there.

If youre lookin for a great brawling game and then some, look no further than Sleeping Dogs.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlexW00d

@Sackmanjones said:

@Metalhead79 Glad to see I'm not the only one getting their frames slashed with AA turned up. I feel like my card should be able to take it but it doesn't. Any ideas why? And yes, on pc this is easily one of the best looking open world games. Everything from the lighting to reflections on cars looks stellar.

Dx11 dawg. Plus the highest level of AA is 4XSSAA which is quite the resource hog.

I think have most things on max, save motion blur cause I hate motion blur, and I am rocking 40-50fps on a 6870.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By musubi
    @Sackmanjones Good write up. I bought Darksiders at midnight expecting to be wholly consumed by it only to end up playing Dust and Sleeping Dogs instead. I was skeptical of this game but the presentation of it is pretty great. Its fairly derivative but they manage to tweak some things to make ith their own. Excited to play more once I get home.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Demoskinos
    @Sackmanjones Good write up. I bought Darksiders at midnight expecting to be wholly consumed by it only to end up playing Dust and Sleeping Dogs instead. I was skeptical of this game but the presentation of it is pretty great. Its fairly derivative but they manage to tweak some things to make ith their own. Excited to play more once I get home.
    Thanks and couldn't agree more. They took the base ideas of a few games and built from there making it feel more original than it should. Anyway I was thinkin of getting Darksiders 2. Never played the first one but for some reason that one is drawing me in. It's still 44 bucks on amazon too
    jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By jay_ray

@Sackmanjones: I preordered it on Steam, and think Sleeping Dogs so far is one of the best games this year so far. What I meant by hoping Sleeping Dogs would be this years Arkham Asylum was that it would be a sleeper hit that most people wrought off (Arkham Asylum because it was a licensed game, Sleeping Dogs because of the whole cancellation thing)

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By larryrules138

@Ravenlight said:

The only problem I really have with the gameplay is the driving. The camera seems to always point in the direction I'm moving and often is not the way I want to be looking, especially if I just made a tight turn or am trying to go from reverse to a forward direction. I've also had a few hilarious moments where I hit the "dash" button instead of the handbrake and completely demolished a crowd of civilians. That one's on me, though.

That's the one thing I'll say negatively about the driving -- the friggin' camera at times. Mostly I find it okay, but it's definitely a pain when you're reversing and trying to go in another direction. I wish it just had simple commands to make it point directly where you want ala the GTA series. You can manually angle the camera after reversing and before pulling forward, but then the camera will automatically snap back to its original position looking at the car. Lately I've been totally forgoing reverse-then-forward in favor of doing a burnout (B+RT and direction on a 360 controller) which is faster, more badass and less annoying.

One thing I'll say in favor of driving is the shooting mechanic. My most hated missions in games such as this were ones where I needed to drive quickly and efficiently, manually aim and fire at enemies all at once. The slowdown while aiming from a vehicle is amazingly helpful and makes those car chase sequences awesome instead of an "oh god, not one of these" moment like you'd have in something like GTA4 or Saints Row 2. I do kind of wish the enemy's cars were more sturdy, as with one good tire-shot you send them flying crazily up into the air. Looks great, but not much of a challenge.

e: As an aside, I really hope this game does well financially to justify a franchise. I'm extremely into this game if it wasn't already obvious, and I'd really love a Sleeping Dogs 2. Until then I'm excited for what substantial DLC will be released during this six month period of support they're alleging.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By McGhee

Just started playing this game today. I'm really impressed. Graphics look pretty good on the 360 as well.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @McGhee: Ya I was actually watching a stream of it before I came out and was impressed how it looked on the Xbox. How's the framerate on it? 
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McGhee

@Sackmanjones said:

@McGhee: Ya I was actually watching a stream of it before I came out and was impressed how it looked on the Xbox. How's the framerate on it?

I've only played a couple hours, but I've not noticed any bad stuttering so far.

alConn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By alConn

Just finished the main story line and police missions on the 360. Fantastic game, easily one of the most surprising, came out of nowhere. Solid story, just a blast to play. Combat is great, ramming cars is fun, gun play is pretty good with the slow motion...all around great game, the only bad part were the face missions, which I found annoying.

I get the distinct feeling that if this was called GTA: Hong Kong it would have gotten much better reviews across the board. Doesn't really matter, just saying...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By musubi

Okay, guys I have a problem. I spent almost all day outside of taking breaks to eat etc... playing freaking sleeping dogs. I'm all on board with the idea of 100% the game. And getting all the achievements. The only achievements that look like they might be an issue is the killing with 10 different Melee and Gun weapons achievements. Since its not like you can just go buy guns in this game. This is by far one of my biggest surprises this year alongside Dragon's Dogma. Just spent the last two hours listening to weekend confirmed while mopping up health shrines and security cameras.

Quick question... is there any way to get the lockboxes on the map like the statues? Speaking of the statues there are a few spots where there are statues inside places that seem inaccessible...I guess you must have to do these in specific story missions that (hopefully) you can replay? I've got like 9/11 of the statues right now.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#34  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Demoskinos said:

Quick question... is there any way to get the lockboxes on the map like the statues? Speaking of the statues there are a few spots where there are statues inside places that seem inaccessible...I guess you must have to do these in specific story missions that (hopefully) you can replay? I've got like 9/11 of the statues right now.

Yes, it's a date later on.

And yes, there are statues inside locations that are only open for specific mission(s), that you will need to replay the mission to get, if you miss them... On the other hand, those ones seemed pretty hard to miss.

Thinking about getting 100% myself, but I'm not enjoying the races much... and I want to put the game "to bed" before Darksiders 2 is out here (tomorrow).

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By musubi
    @Mnemoidian

@Demoskinos said:

And yes, there are statues inside locations that are only open for specific mission(s), that you will need to replay the mission to get, if you miss them... On the other hand, those ones seemed pretty hard to miss.

Thinking about getting 100% myself, but I'm not enjoying the races much... and I want to put the game "to bed" before Darksiders 2 is out here (tomorrow).

Nice. Thanks. I've got both and personally I think Sleeping Dogs is the better game but Darksiders is no slouch as well.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Demoskinos
    @Mnemoidian

@Demoskinos said:

Nice. Thanks. I've got both and personally I think Sleeping Dogs is the better game but Darksiders is no slouch as well.
    I've actually been thinkin of gettin darksiders 2 as well. I don't know what's drawin me in, I never played the first one but this seems better to me. I just hate playing sequels without playing previous titles
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By larryrules138

@Demoskinos said:

Call up the girls you've met throughout the game and do a brief mission with them to get collectibles visible on the minimap. I had no idea this feature even existed until I invested 20 hours into the game, a good amount of which was spent scouring the environments for collectibles. Really stupid of me. There are definitely some that are not available in "free roam;" one health shrine I believe was shown to be inside Two-Chin Tsao's mansion, and there was no clear way of gaining entrance to it. There has to be a way to replay missions as that box on the lower right corner after completing one says something about mission replay. I haven't done it myself yet, though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Great blawg, really enjoyed reading it. I'm enjoying the game as well, I've been aching for a new GTA and this is the best GTA clone to date. And does its own thang well enough to be a somewhat unique experience, with the combat and the setting/atmosphere.

The only thing I really hate is the stubborn camera controls while driving a car. Really fucks with my mouse hand!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @AhmadMetallic said:

Great blawg, really enjoyed reading it. I'm enjoying the game as well, I've been aching for a new GTA and this is the best GTA clone to date. And does its own thang well enough to be a somewhat unique experience, with the combat and the setting/atmosphere.

The only thing I really hate is the stubborn camera controls while driving a car. Really fucks with my mouse hand!

Hey buddy! Great to see you on the forums again. And I agree with everything you said, especially the damn camera. It always seems to turn the wrong way when I drive. Especially when I go from reverse to forward!
    fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fetchfox

@larryrules138: So glad I found out about this, finally I can some more health upgrades without searching like a mad dog for hours.

Hot tip for everyone though, wear sunglasses, watches and bracelets to bring up your face-meter percent gain before doing face-missions. There is a finite amount of XP to be had, so pimp yourself (and upgrade gear as you level)! I'm usually not a fan of any kind of jewelry on my characters, always wearing a simple suit or similar, but you can always change back to something nicer before doing story-missions.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jillsandwich

My favorite part was when it went full Hard Boiled and you had a shootout in a hospital.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.