Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOMA

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 22, 2015

A horror game from Frictional Games. Set at the bottom of the ocean, it explores themes of the self, humanity, the mind, and consciousness.

What Happened to [Blank] Horror Game?

• 50 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

It's tough to be patient with your most anticipated releases. Who wants to wait? We want these games now, dammit! That said, it's always better to get a good game than a bad one. Quality takes time.

No Caption Provided

As I started mapping out what we might play and write about for Shocktober, I started looking at the upcoming horror games, and realizing many of the games I was looking forward to playing weren't gonna be ready in time. Some of them had gone silent for months, and I wanted to break that.

Fortunately, I was able to coax a few developers out of their self-imposed media exile for a little while, and get updates on a handful of really promising upcoming horror games. I wasn't able to convince anyone to release their game tomorrow, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Here's the latest on SOMA, Asylum, and Routine.

Asylum

"Recently we had to make an important change in the project--the switch to the Unity engine-- which pushed the release date a bit further down the road. We had our good reasons: for the first moment, our plans for Asylum have been to create the most immersive adventure game ever, and the project has all the potential but needed some more eye candy. Thanks to Unity, we’re now able to incorporate breathtaking new visual effects, such as changes in weather and skies ranging from gorgeous to sinister.

Switching engines is usually a bold move in any project, but in the case of Asylum it’s been really successful. The game is currently in alpha and, while we still need a few more months to reach a fully playable beta, we’re absolutely positive that the game will live up to the expectations. It’s that we’ve been rather quiet about it, but we don’t want to hype the game until we’re ready to announce a release date. However, our Kickstarter updates have been very extensive and detailed.

Fans and journalists who saw Asylum in last Gamescom were floored with the quality and mood in the game, and we won’t stop until we create a perfect and disturbing horror experience with a haunting story that players will cherish for years to come.”

-- Senscape founder and designer Agustín Cordes

Routine

"I know we are pretty stingy when it comes to updating everyone on our progress so here is a little overview on how things are going and why we are always so quiet.

Firstly progress is moving along at a great pace, we always talked about doing the introduction area late into development when we know exactly what we want to teach and make the player feel at the start of the game. And guess what! we are actually working on that stuff right now in our current milestone so hopefully that is a roundabout way of explaining that we are making good progress.

We don't update that often because we want to avoid spoilers as much as possible. We also really value the idea of finding things out for yourself and there is no better way to do that than when you are playing the game. We will however show off some more videos and screenshots closer to release when the timing is right."

-- Lunar Software co-founder and designer Aaron Foster

SOMA

"About 8 months ago we finished the alpha version of SOMA. This was a version of the game containing about 2/3rds of our intended content and story, featuring full voice overs and reasonably polished graphics. This was tested internally and sent out to a few trusted people. We collated all the feedback and then sat down and went through the game using it as a guide. As a result we've made major changes to some of the levels in the game, as well as to some of the overall systems. Implementing those changes and then finishing off the last 1/3rd of the content is what we've been doing since then.

The development process is quite different from our previous games. In the past we've fixed on a design at an early stage and then done our best to get something done to a specific deadline. But with SOMA we've been much more iterative. We've been testing out various designs, seeing how they feel and then revising. We know that this can sometimes lead people into a dangerous spiral - there have been cases where games never get completed - but we feel we're on the home stretch now, with most of the features locked down. In a little more than a month, the whole of the game will be pretty much set in stone. After that several months of polish will follow and then we'll be finished and the game will be ready for release.

After more than four years of work it feels nice to finally have a goal in sight. I'm very pleased with what we've got and believe we'll deliver a very special experience. With SOMA we've aimed to go beyond simply scaring the player and instead to tap into disturbing thematics concerning our very existence. This has been far from easy, and is why the iterative process, while painful, has been so vital. The end is near! We'll have major updates for all of you before the year is over."

-- Frictional Games creative director Thomas Grip

Oh, and Grip also sent over this brand-new concept art for SOMA. Enjoy!

No Caption Provided

grizbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spooped.

TehCraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alien Isolation and the classic sci-fi theme constantly reminds me of Routine, good to see its still making progress and hasn't completely fallen off the radar.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By LarryDavis

A horror game based on Blankman would be the most terrifying thing.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I totally forgot about SOMA and now I'm excited/scared all over again!!

HalidYusein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rmanthorp: You better be scared, because those guys at FG are monsters in disguise! :D

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanks for the update Patrick! Was thinking about Routine the other day - their trailer was particularly terrifying. Eager to see how it plays in a post Alien: Isolation world.

Onion-Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I'm very happy Soma is coming to ps4 since I don't have a gaming pc yet. Really need to get one all of these look pretty sweet

PalaceAthene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the updates Patrick.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bah. Was hoping for an update on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

3spoopy5me

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LeStephan

HA we didnt even know about Alien: Isolation back when routine was first shown right?

If I had a reasonable pc I'd still love to check routine out though :0 same goes for the other 2

Great stuff @patrickklepek, seems like you put some extra effort into finding out whats going on, thanks! I was kinda wondering wat happened to SOMA and Routine since....i dont even know anymore, a long time :P Good to hear the projects are still on track

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had forgotten all about SOMA. Hope it's not too far off, still.

@l44 said:

@grizbo said:

Spooped.

fuck

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

It's so refreshing getting these type of updates from devs and not publishers. If these were previews (in the traditional sense) I read in a magazine or website I'd be so much more interested in the game because it feels like actual humans are talking to us about a game they are making rather than robots on PR cycles.

Avatar image for farbelowaverage
    Farbelowaverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear that Routine is still coming along, they've been radio-silent for an entire year now. Super nice to have a spoiler-free update, was expecting the next bit of news regarding this (and practically every game these days) to be a 3 minute story trailer.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

the wait for Routine has been agonizing. im glad its still moving along.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Nice to have updates on these games. But I'll still never quite understand why devs/publishers announce a game (complete with a cg trailer) when the release date is so often still years away.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have had my eye on Routine for awhile now, and am excited to see the final product. Guess I'll have to rely on Alien:Isoation if I want some retro-future scares right now.

Grace_Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, thanks for this! I was really wondering about Routine and SOMA.

Murdoc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah cool, I was just wondering about Routine the other day when friends and I were talking about Isolation.

guyver0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Still looking forward to Routine.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Interesting idea to get a bunch of updates from these developers Patrick. I suppose this kind of thing will only work for the small studios but it's still a neat idea.

micfiygd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice article Patrick! REALLY excited for SOMA!

gummifox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these games look great, thanks for the updates.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thanks Patrick! Excited for Routine and SOMA, not so much Asylum but hey you never know.

Jpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for that deep sea game. It looks so freaky.

OnionKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Scoops! Been salivating for some info on Routine for a long time now, can't wait!

iBushido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOMA these games are gonna feel just like Routine, atmospheric, exploration games. I hope they can pull off something new and exciting. If I don't get my horror fix soon, I'll probably be sent to an...

...old hospital for the mentally insane.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Nice work Patrick. So excited for SOMA.

Bambam15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for the update Mr. Klepek. I hadn't looked into Routine before but now there's another terrifying game I'm looking forward to as much as SOMA. It was also extremely interesting to hear from Frictional Games more precisely what they were doing with all this time and money they earned with The Dark Descent. Now I have even more reason to think it's going to scar me. The only thing Alien: Isolation has made me afraid of so far is it's aliasing.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really glad to hear Routine is still chugging along. That game is quickly becoming my most anticipated game ever, mostly because of how long it's taking.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a big fan of what Asylum is showing. Looks too much like every other horror game. The mental institute cliche gets old after the twentieth movie. I'm unsure about SOMA, but it seems like a nice setting although Routine totally blows both of them away with its aesthetic and graphics. Really curious to see how Routine turns out. I would love to see a very well made horror game that takes place entirely in your house. It could start off looking like any normal house and evolve into a horrific mess by the end. A setting in a familiar location is typically the most scary for me.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Well, 2015 seems good for horror :o

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

As the Horror Editor, Patrick can never leave this website. My horror pit would never be filled.

Travan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was wondering what had happened to Routine while watching the Isolation QL. Nice timing, Scoops!

tabiicat42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these games look cool. I'm really hoping Senscape's next project, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, gets funded... it looks like they're really hoping to do justice to H.P. Lovecraft's non-Cthulhu horror side.

squidraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By spraynardtatum

I can't wait for Routine.

Nice article.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

God, has it been almost 3 years since i first heard of routine?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By AssInAss

Routine hnnggggg

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mattchops

Is the person wearing a mask or helmet in routine? Seemed like there was some sort of effect on the screen.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RazielCuts

Wow, I'd totally forgot these games existed. I've been interested in Routine in SOMA since I saw the reveals both look great and doing different things in the space. Hadn't heard of Asylum before, will check it out.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm especially excited for SOMA just to crack the riddle of what the game is even about. I actually like the idea of Patrick asking for some updates from devs. Seems like a lot of indie developers feel more comfortable keeping people in the dark when they don't have a publisher breathing down their necks. Radio silence on a game can either be a good thing or bad thing. From the outside, it's impossible to really tell which is the case.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@assinass: I know right!

Wow I just realized Alien Isolation got announced and released in the time between Routine being announced and it's eventual release. Obviously these are two very different circumstances but it's crazy to think about, Isolation kind of came out of nowhere.

I'm so thankful horror games are back in such a meaningful way. Can't wait to play more Isolation when the sun goes down.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice to know that Routine still exists. I thought that it was already clear that SOMA had been aiming for a 2015 release day though. I don't remember them ever stating anything else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.