Space Engine

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By s-a-n-JR

You guys like space? If you do, you’re going to love this. Space Engine is a friggin’ UNIVERSE SIMULATOR. In the simulator, you can literally visit any star you see, and those stars may or may not have planets orbiting around them. You can then close in on those planets or any orbiting moons. The software includes our solar system of course and any uncharted planets, star systems, and galaxies are procedurally generated. The simulator also has every type of celestial object known to modern astronomy. It’s super impressive.

For example, in this image from the simulator, you can visit any one of those little white dots. And by visit, I mean use your WASD keys and mouse to move to them, like a FPS. Of course, you can adjust your speed to get there however fast you want.
    For example, in this image from the simulator, you can visit any one of those little white dots. And by visit, I mean use your WASD keys and mouse to move to them, like a FPS. Of course, you can adjust your speed to get there however fast you want.
    Get closer and you'll see something like this.
    Get closer and you'll see something like this.
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Impressive, no?
    Impressive, no?
    • All types of celestial objects are represented: planets, moons, asteroids, stars, star clusters, nebulae and galaxies.
    • The observer is free to move around the universe. Transition between any celestial body and any scale occurs continuously.
    • The observer can move around in space using the WASD keys, like in First Person Shooters. Movement with inertia is made possible in Spacecraft mode or Aircraft mode.
    • "Select and fly" autopilot: just click on any object with the mouse and hit the 'G' key to automatically go directly to the object.
    • Search for celestial objects by name. Scalable map of the Universe and the planetary system map. Saving locations and an autopilot's journal.
    • The orbital motion of planets and stars is calculated in real time, with the ability to accelerate, decelerate, or reverse the flow of time.
    • The orbital paths of celestial objects can be shown, along with their labels and grids.
    • Automatic binding of the observer to the moving object and automatic selection of optimum flight speed.
    • Known celestial objects are represented using data from the catalogs: galaxies (NGC/IC), stars (HIPPARCOS), star clusters, nebulae, planets (our Solar system data and known extrasolar planets).
    • Uncharted regions of space feature procedurally generated objects: galaxies, stars, star clusters, nebulae and planetary systems.
    • 3D landscapes of planets and stars: for many solar system bodies actual data from space probes is used. For uncharted exo-planets the surface is generated procedurally.
    • Volumetric 3D sprite models of galaxies and nebulae including light-absorbing dust clouds,

It's a free software, and can be downloaded here http://en.spaceengine.org/. As of writing this, the latest version is 0.9.6. There's also a 0.9.6.1 patch. As this is in beta, you may find that it'll crash, and it's usually due to memory issues. I'd also recommend you have your graphics card driver up-to-date. If you go to the download page, you can also find add-ons like high-res textures, bump maps for planets etc.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pweidman

Freaking bad ass! The procedurally generated planet surfaces are amazing. Even saw a black hole in action on one of the vids on the site's front page. I didn't DL the software yet, but can you enable any sort of captions for location and names?

And sorry, but I can't help but suggest this should be the exploration mode for the next ME triliogy. :)

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By onarum

yeah space engine is awesome you can zoom all the way out of milkyway, then there's another billions of dots, each one is another galaxy, and each with another billions of starts, it's crazy.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BaneFireLord

Downloading. This looks fucking awesome.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By EVO

Dude, fuck yeah.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Schmollian

Yeah, I have known about this thing for a while. It is buggy as hell but i'd be damned if it wasn't one of the most impressive things I have ever seen! This is what I want to see in future space sims, the ability to literally go ANYWHERE.

Cmon game devs! Bring back the genre to the forefront! You can do so MUCH MORE with today's technology!

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Loafsmooch

That looks epic. Downloading!

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Nev

Wow, this looks great. Downloading!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jimbo

Where my Cobra at?

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Oh man, could you imagine if they were able to procedurally generate a playable level (for a shooter, platformer, whatever) on every planet? What if it was an MMO? People could literally get lost and never find each other, even if there were a billion people on the server.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sjupp

@Sanj: I was thinking about something similar. This looks fucking amazing

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By s-a-n-JR

@Sjupp: Indeed!

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Schmollian

Was messing with this and decided to post some screenshots I took.

I increased the magnitude of the stars for an added backdrop in this shot.
    I increased the magnitude of the stars for an added backdrop in this shot.
    Found a really cool view of this red desert moon that is orbiting an ice giant in this binary star system. The dimmer star is actually about twice as large as the brighter one. Just very far away.
    Found a really cool view of this red desert moon that is orbiting an ice giant in this binary star system. The dimmer star is actually about twice as large as the brighter one. Just very far away.
    A different view of the same group of planets. This image is now my wallpaper.
    A different view of the same group of planets. This image is now my wallpaper.
    Same place again, but now on the surface of that red desert moon
    Same place again, but now on the surface of that red desert moon

darkdeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I made some 60 fps 4K videos in space Engine. It's still a very impressive engine. I hope they keep updating it. Took some 4K screens as well: http://imgur.com/a/LIn4W

Loading Video...

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.