The sequel to Spelunky.

Default walk or run?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

I've watched Brad run a lot in his streams, and it's kinda crazy to watch since my default is walking. Not judging, it just looks different to be moving so fast! I started 2 and running by default seemed like a scary design choice, but luckily there's a toggle. So what do you do?

Even after beating Yama 30 times, I still default to walk. I'm no speedrunner and Spelunky seems like a game about being careful as you explore. Especially in this early time when I'm still learning the new areas.

Now, I hold run 90% of the time, but when there's a stand off with a bat I need to slow down. Holding the walk button during a tense battle like that would be too much to worry about. I watched various streams this week and boy, a lot of folks are trying to shoulder tackle skeletons.

I wasn't able to make a poll, so a deep pro/con discussion will have to do.

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My default, and only option, is run. I don't know which button is the walk button. It's a change I made on the vita with spelunky HD, and it got me past olmec, and on spelunky 2, it's got me to world 5 just fine. I probably would do better in my dailies if I slowed it down, but I like my runs fast and frequent.

The issue I'm having is the switch between handheld and TV. When I played HD on ps4, running felt a bit too quick, so I ended up going solely vita. Now I have no choice at the moment over where to play, I'll stick with gotta go fast.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't think I've ever played Spelunky without holding down the run button, so I'm looking forward to this change. Always go go go!

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The controls for Spelunky 1 are so embedded in my bones by now that I need to have run off. I still hold it down 95% of the time though.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I play Spelunky with 2D Mario rules. Run is held down constantly, or it isn't thrilling enough

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I switched to walk by default. Had too many deaths where I needed precision, but instead flew off into a spike pit.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I think I want to switch back to walk. With the higher time limit before the Ghost shows up it's not as big of a deal to take your time a bit and I'm sure running all the time will get me dead. Can't wait for this to hit steam.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Run off. I already ran too much in Spelunky 1 and still get myself killed dashing into skeletons and the like.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I run non-stop mother trucker! Don't think I've pressed the button to walk once so far.

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely default run. It feels too slow otherwise.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Default walk, same as Spelunky 1, but holding down run 95% of the time, also same as Spelunky 1. Let's you have speed but also have the fidelity to stop on a dime if you need to, and most importantly it's just what my brain has been programmed to use after god knows how much time with Spelunky 1

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Default walk, mind you I haven't gotten past 1-3 as of yet...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.