Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Fox Adventures

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 23, 2002

Rare's last game for a major Nintendo console, Star Fox Adventures is an action-adventure game set in the Star Fox universe. Take control of ace pilot Fox McCloud as he searches for a way to save the aptly-named Dinosaur Planet from destruction.

I know this game has haters but did anyone enjoy playing it?

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xpxTomxqx

I remember getting Star Fox Adventures for my Gamecube when I got it for Christmas and vividly remember playing it first out of my new games. Alot of people give it stick for straying too far away from the other Star Fox games but I thought the whole premise of you being on foot worked. It was a beautiful game for its time and was a decent length as well, which makes it harder for me to see why anyone could give this game as much stick as it gets.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sayishere

The only thing i remember about this game was the graphics and how beautiful it looked, and also how i missed Star Fox 64.

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xpxTomxqx

Star Fox 64 (or Lylat Wars where I live :P ) was an amazing game and so was the Star Fox game before it on the SNES but I thought that this game was amazing. It did look beautiful though, I agree with you.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

For the first few hours I did, but I think I either got stuck somewhere or got bored of it after that.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy

OH MAN thank you for reminding me about this game!!

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xpxTomxqx

I  remember finding this game quite difficult back in the day and I remember having to consult a guide to get through it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@xpxTomxqx: SFA suffered from Invisible War Syndrome. It bore the title of a massively popular predecessor, and, in changing the way it did things, attracted the ire of not only the critics, but the legion of fans who played the original(s). 

I really enjoyed Star Fox Adventures (and Invisible War, KOTOR 2, etc.); though it was flawed, it was still a really enjoyable experience. It's pretty hard to take actual haters seriously when all of those games still provided quality fare.
    xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xpxTomxqx
    @GetEveryone: That is understandable, but I'm happy that I've found people on this site that enjoy the game haha! 
    I also agree with your view on not taking haters seriously when this game was actually good.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By craigbo180

I am in the minority in that I preferred Starfox Assault to Starfox Adventures.

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xpxTomxqx
    @craigbo180 said:
    I never actually played this game! I have always wanted to. I'm guessing you saying this is that you'd recommend it? :P
    CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CarpetRemnant

I liked it a lot. I seem to remember it being a bit frustrating sometimes but mostly having a blast with it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By ryanwho

Its a bad platformer. People didn't complain because it was a platformer so much as it was a shitty shitty platformer.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By craigbo180
    @xpxTomxqx said:
    @craigbo180 said:
    I never actually played this game! I have always wanted to. I'm guessing you saying this is that you'd recommend it? :P
    Yeah I would definitely recommend it especially if you enjoyed adventures. The air battles are a bit more set-piecey and the multi-player is fun, the on foot sections and environments are just better in assault in my opinion.
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By MEATBALL

Honestly, I'm a sucker for Zelda clones. I didn't love this game or anything, but I enjoyed what I played of it.

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Parkingtigers

I like Starfox Adventures.  Never got around to finishing it, but that's true of many games that I played, but I really liked it. 

Ultimately the reason most people hated it was that they got this game instead of a regular Starfox game.  If it had been put out in addition to a regular update of the series it would have been much better received.  For context, imagine if they had never released Halo 2 or 3 on the Xbox 360 and instead only put out Halo Wars.  Yeah, that's basically what happened on the GameCube.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kjellm87

Yeah, I liked it, though I can't help but think I would've liked it more if it remained "Dinosaur Planet" for N64, it looked amazing. 

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By MEATBALL

I would have thought the expectation of a Starfox game would have had much to do with the typical disdain for the game considering I'm sure most were aware at the time that the game wasn't even a Starfox game until Nintendo decided to insert the Starfox brand.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It was a great game.
    Nice sense of wonder, only combat when the situation asked for it, lots of puzzles and clever use of mechanics.
    The story was a lil lacking, but it was doable. 

The graphics were amazing indeed, Fox's fur and the water were great!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@ryanwho said:

Its a bad platformer. People didn't complain because it was a platformer so much as it was a shitty shitty platformer.

Star Fox Adventures isn't a platformer.

The game was fun, though the overdose of collectables that plagued Rare games of the era was a bit ridiculous. The biggest issue I had with the game was the story, which had some pretty gaping holes in it from trying to shoehorn certain things in, like Andross's appearance as the final boss. That being said, the game is entertaining enough that I can't really hate it for that. Though I do wish that it had more flying, it being a Star Fox game and all.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Cwaff

I actually enjoyed this game when it came out!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.