Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 19, 2009

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is the fourth installment in the Square Enix/Tri-Ace RPG series to be released outside of Japan, and is the fifth game in the series.

New Star Ocean: The Last Hope: International Trailer

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

This kinda is getting me pumped, since I didn't pick this up on 360.  

I can't wait to play this, sandwiched in-between Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy XIII.... which, I mean shit, I better start making myself a schedule or something to be able to play all these RPGs! :p 

Check-it-out!:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoZbnIN8rlw   

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

My desire to play as the Megaman dude is cancelled out by the completely embarrassing (every female) character.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By essaregee

I wonder what new additions they will have to the original SO:TLH besides the one [or however many] new characters, Japanese audio and CG talk sequences.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Luke
    @essaregee:  Besides what you mentioned, all the crashing bugs that were in the 360 version are gunna be fixed and also they're letting the player choose between having Anime or CG Character Portraits, in the options. 

I also read in an interview that they have other secrets up their sleeves for this release, which haven't been revealed yet.  Maybe if I can find the link, I'll toss it up. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @ryanwho said:

" My desire to play as the Megaman dude is cancelled out by the completely embarrassing (every female) character. "

His fighting style is amazing. I barely switched from him the entire game. He has these little boosters on his feet that you dash with, and if you time your attacks right during the dash you can get up to a three-shot burst. It's really useful and fast but requires a lot of timing skill. I got him up to level 225 :D

But the female characters completely ruin the game. If you can ignore them, it's great. But it's not even their english voices. It's just their dumbass designs. Some of the worst characters I've ever seen in an RPG in my life. 

This game really isn't for those who don't like anime. The trailer for this makes the game seem WAY more epic than it actually is... lol. 

@Luke: What crashing bug are you referring to?
    Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Galv

Played it on the 360 and I don't recommend it. The changes that they have made don't make this a recommendable game. My main problem with it was that the characters were awful. They were some of the worst characters in any game I have ever played. However at the same time I loved the battle system, even if it does get to be the same thing over and over. It was the only reason I beat the game and went through both bonus dungeons. Definately not worth paying full price.
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By essaregee
    @xyzygy: wait.... what? Megaman in the Star ocean game? Or are you referring to Baccus?
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I wanted to enjoy star ocean after the 2nd but i just am not able too....1 and 2 were a series, then 3 really had nothing to do and 4 and 5 or how many there have been...I wish they'd remake blue sphere for the GBC i never got to play that game and it continues the story of 2.

then again even the 1st and 2nd game i had a problem with swords and magic in super space future? wheres the guns?!!
    *and yes i know Claude had the one odd gun, but you'd think they'd all have guns swords would never stand up to a spacial matter obliteration gun*

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Luke
    @xyzygy:  Just a few Googles and one of my friends constantly bitching about it when he rented it:  

http://www.videogamenews.com/Home/tabid/36/ctl/ArticleView/mid/628/articleId/1456/Star-Ocean-The-Last-Hope.aspx 

"I wish I could have slapped an 8 on this review (because I thought it was that good) but I can’t. There is a fatal flaw in the “game” and that is the system crashes (Note: not all people are having this problem). How would you feel if your gaming time depended on how long it would take for your session to freeze? Playing from save point to save point, hoping, no… praying that the game will not freeze when you are two hours in and still have not found a place to save. Or, battling a boss that has taken 45 minutes and you think he is almost dead, only to have the game suddenly halt. Welcome to my world! I tried everything to stop the freezing, from downloading the game to the HDD to clearing the cache to switching Xboxes altogether but to no avail."  

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=946860&topic=48396162   

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/starocean4/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-48357964&pid=946860
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @Luke: Wow, I honestly never knew about that. I've beaten that game, Gabriel Celeste and the Ephemeral Queen (Ephemeral? Eternal? w/e) and never ever run into this problem, not even once. The game played out well for me.  

EDIT: If you look at the gamefaqs forum link you posted there, a lot of people are saying that they never ran into it as well. Maybe it's just a problem on certain systems, I dunno...

@essaregee: Yeah, Bacchus :P
    Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

I've never played a game with such terrible characters. In several instances, I wanted this game to become Gears of War, so I could chainsaw the hell outta everybody with a voice. Especially that cat girl with thong and the angel bitch.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By shirogane

Yeah, this game is essentially an anime turned into a a game. It's got everything, annoying characters, flat chested lolis, getting slapped by girls yelling 'pervert', shower scenes, everything. 

Still my favourite 360 game that i own... 

Not getting it on ps3, mainly cause i already have it, i don't believe in buying a game multiple times for no apparant reason. 

And yeah, somehow most of the female characters in the game are the most annoying people ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.