Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

STO: The Good, and the bad, and the bad, and the bad...

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By asurastrike

The first day of the Star Trek Online open beta has officially ended, and with that comes my impressions of the game. Mind you, I only played for an hour or so, because I got to a point where my frame rate was between 1-10 fps.

Star Trek Online - The Good

Star Trek Online starts off well enough. As you boot it up, and it patches, you get to hear some very "Star Trekky" music, it really got me in the mindset to play. Once it patches, the game starts up, and you get to create your character. The character creation is probably the best thing about STO. You can pick from a list of 10 or so races from the Star Trek universe, including Humans, Vulcans, and a bunch of other races I am personally unfamiliar with (obligatory blue alien chick is included). In addition to the existing races, you can also create a character from an "unknown race", which basically means you can create your character using any part from any of the existing races. The only downside to creating a character from the "unknown race" is that you can't name the race, but that's nickpicking. After you create your character, you enter the world of Star Trek Online.

Star Trek Online - The Bad

I really wish I had more good things to say about STO. But as soon as I entered the world with my newly created character, I was treated to a poor looking, poor controlling, poor sounding generic space MMO. Let me break it down further.

Graphics - It might be because of my somewhat dated hardware, but the game didn't look good. Recent MMO's such as Aion and the upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic look significantly better than STO. I even prefer the look of the now-5-year-old World of Warcraft to STO.

I could forgive the sub par graphics if the game at least ran well, which it did not. Like I said at the very beginning, I had to quit after an hour or so because my frame rate was dipping into the single digits. Again, this is probably due to my somewhat dated PC hardware, but if I can play Dragon Age: Origins, and WoW on this PC, I really should be able to play STO, at least on the recommended settings.

Sound - None of the sounds in the game really stood out, which was disappointing seeing as the Star Trek series has such iconic sound effects. When you used the teleporter, the sound played, but it seems to be a little out of sync, playing a second or two after you have already teleported. It was also rather quiet, and I had to turn my speakers up to even hear it. The voice acting is also a bit of a disappointment. Most of the text is not voiced, except when it randomly is voiced. When it is voiced, the acting is generally "okay", but nothing stands out about it. Also, I remember seeing a video that Leonard Nimoy did the narration for this game, but call me crazy, I must have missed it.

Gameplay - This is the most important part of an MMO right? If I told you that it was less responsive than the free to play MMO Perfect World, would you believe me? Because it is. The ground combat is a weird mix between normal MMO combat (see World of Warcraft), and a Third Person Shooter. Right click an enemy to hit your phaser, if they get too close you can right click them to melee them to the ground, and then right click them again to hit them with your phaser. If you hit the C button, you go into aim mode, which makes you do extra damage. As far as I could tell this is as deep as the combat goes. I mean yeah, there was more in their briefings, but the briefings would usually pop up and block all the action so I was getting attacked while I was supposed to be reading a tutorial. What usually happened is I clicked through the tutorial as fast as I could to avoid getting killed while I was reading, and then was completely lost because...I had clicked through the tutorial.

But really, the ground combat is the highlight of the gameplay. The game really lost it's steam when I was tasked with piloting my ship, the Highwind (original I know), and I was subjected to the most excruciatingly slow space combat I have ever played. You remember the excellent space combat in games like X-Wing and Freespace? Definitely not present here. But I was probably expecting too much for this 2010 game to at least match the space combat of a game released 10+ years prior. It was shortly after I killed my 6th or 7th enemy "Probe" that I was contacted and was tasked with beaming to a nearby planets surface to help fight off the Borg. This was where my game turned into a slideshow and I turned it off.

Overall

Overall I think Star Trek Online is a not-so-great game that, like so many other MMO's before it, will really fail to build up any kind of significant audience. The ground combat can't compete with a game like World of Warcraft, and the space combat doesn't come anywhere near the quality of a game like EVE Online. It really was a disappointment after waiting in a 2 hour queue to download the 7.7gb zip file, to only spend an hour with the game before going into flipbook mode. Hopefully the full release will be a much better experience than with what I had with the beta.

Oh yeah, and remember, this is based off of an hour of playing a beta, and I wrote this at 3:00 AM, so take that for what it's worth. :P
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By emkeighcameron

Interesting write-up. I have entirely skipped STO in favor of the Star Wars one (whenever the hell it decides to come out) so I feel somewhat more justified now, having read your rather damning review of the beta.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

I had a great experience with downloading it so far. I got it entirely downloaded after waiting forever in the line, for it to tell me it failed. This was sometime yesterday, now, everytime I try to do it again, the public queue barely ever moves and stays at the same time mark forever really. Honestly just done trying to mess with it. I really fucking hate FilePlanet.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Moridin
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

Thank you @Moridin, I had no idea it was anywhere else besides FilePlanet because that's what they suggest on the main site. Makes this a lot easier, downloading super fast.

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SquadBroken

its shit lad

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JokerClown88

Three words. 

Beta, Beta, Beta.
    rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By rateoforange

I actually like the space combat. It's slow and naval, like Star Trek should be. I guess that's not everyone's thing, but it feels good and proper.

If they made a shooter out of Star Trek space combat, it'd be embarrassing. Like Star Trek: DAC embarrassing.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shirogane

If anybody played Pirates of the Burning Sea, this is comparable to a sci-fi version of that. 
    The space combat  is actually much better than the ground combat imo. The ground combat is actually quite horrible, as was the case for PotBS as well. 

If they fix some of the bugs and optimise the game a bit, it could be decent, not awesome, or really good even, but at least decent enough.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By DanielJW
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " Interesting write-up. I have entirely skipped STO in favor of the Star Wars one (whenever the hell it decides to come out) so I feel somewhat more justified now, having read your rather damning review of the beta. "
    Sort of with you here. I came in to possession of a Beta key, so I'm going to at least give STO a shot, but SWTOR looks awesome.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @JokerClown88 said:
    " Three words.  Beta, Beta, Beta. "
    Indeed.

The whole point of this beta is to weed out bugs and improve aspects of the game before its official launch.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Demyx

Its been running quite well for me. Its a fun game, I like Star Trek, but this isn't something I'd pay for. I'm only in it for the beta.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidS
    @Shirogane said:

"If anybody played Pirates of the Burning Sea, this is comparable to a sci-fi version of that. The space combat  is actually much better than the ground combat imo. The ground combat is actually quite horrible, as was the case for PotBS as well.  If they fix some of the bugs and optimise the game a bit, it could be decent, not awesome, or really good even, but at least decent enough. "

If I remember correctly POTBS Beta felt a lot more polished than STO Beta, though I do see what you are saying.  
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rehehelly

I think the space combat is one of the best things about it, i'm happy it's not fast and hectic, it's more about managing shields, what weapons to use when and positioning.  

what I don't like about it (okay so mine has flickering graphics due to some dodgy issue with the game and ati cards some people and i are experiencing)  is it just threw me in the deep end, went to do a mission where I had to patrol some systems, one time I got dumped into a team with some people and there were a large amount of enemy ships, the next system however there was there was no group and still the same number of ships, never told me I needed to get into a group to do it :S so I had to fight about 3 brigand cruisers and 2 smaller ships... got completely obliterated.  

jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakonovski

Can't say about performance issues since my computer is brand new (the only problem so far is that the game thinks my GPU doesn't support AA, lol). Ground combat is clunky, yes, but there's more depth to it. AOEs have to be positioned and expose and exploit combos set up. It's not an award winner, but you clearly haven't seen all there is to it.

Ship combat being slow is merely a design choice. Star Trek is not a franchise that fits with fast paced space combat, so I feel it's much better this way. It's like naval combat, and if that's your thing you'll love it, otherwise maybe not.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Screw that whole "its a beta" excuse!  This version of the game ABSOLUTELY reflects the finished product!  

I have been in several MMO-RPG beta's.  Including WoW BC, WotLK, Warhammer, LoTRs, and Vanguard.  (Those are just the ones that come to mind. ) The Beta's were much more of a stress test, and bug fix then anything else.  Very little was changed for release.  

The majority of what you see it exactly what they want you to pay for.  Thats why the Beta keys are everywhere.  It's advertising.  Desperate advertising too.  

The buzz for this game is already mostly negative.  I am hearing more and more about it failing as yet another attempt to sell subscriptions.  

I've said it before and I will say it again.  If you want to play a MMO-RPG.  Play Warcraft.  None of the others can compete.  They have more refined systems, mechanics, and a much more stable info-structure.  

DO you really think Star Trek Online was created solely out of love for a franchise?  NO!  They saw what Blizzard is doing and said "we got to get some of that!"  Then they cherry picked a cult fanbase and made a cookie cutter MMO.  Just to sell subscriptions.   You are better off playing EVE or WoW.  

When this MMO is launched fully.  It won't change much, cept less people will be playing.  So why go through the bullshit hassle that comes with all new MMO-RPGs?  The crashes, server floods, bug fixes, exploits. RMT...  

Just go to the already established and stable games.  I HIGHLY recommend you go play EVE instead of this lame exploit of Trek fans. Only here because of the movie's moderate success. 

Besides.  EVE's ship customization and space exploration is a 100 times more elaborate then this.  

Instances are lame and fail.  Screw STO's gaudy interface and combat alerts.  Get real.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Diamond

Sure it's beta, but don't expect anything but very minor changes between now and the final release version.  Obviously MMOs always evolve, but we're virtually at the final version.  This is the code that will probably be in store copies (but I consider the release version to include patches on release as it is a MMO).

Anyways, I can confirm the graphics engine isn't real great.  Not the best looking MMO by far, doesn't scale very well on settings changes, and definitely doesn't deliver a really good performance vs. graphics ratio.  There are also known bugs in the game that further harm performance on Nvidia cards.

I agree the gameplay is very shallow and not overly satisfying.  Ground combat really reminds me of City of Heroes but less nuanced, space combat is fairly shallow (compared to most other space combat in games).

The one thing that bothers me the most is how much the game tramps all over Star Trek canon.  Forget the old Star Trek, this is a world where the Federation shoots first and asks questions later, to every race in almost every scenario.  Sure there's the token items of phasers and tricorders, but this is a world of combat alone.  It's not surprising for a MMO, but it is disappointing compared to other Star Trek games I've played.

jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakonovski
    @SoothsayerGB:

That's the voice of stagnation speaking. I'd rather slam my dick repeatedly with a car door than play the same MMOs year after year after year.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @JokerClown88 said:
    " Three words.  Beta, Beta, Beta. "
    Exactly. It's a clunky beta with probably millions of people trying to play it as much as possible & likely have no plans to play it after the official release!  Once the release is out, I think the game will stabilize.

There certainly is a lot of hype about the Star Wars MMO.  I'm somewhat skeptical.

What else is seriously funny is that it seems every Cryptic game that comes out, the words everyone uses is "The greatest thing about the game is the character creation system."  Hello, Cryptic!  A character creation system is NOT a game!!!  It seems they spend too much time on that & not enough on the rest of it.  Seriously, I wonder how long they're going to fly on selling MMOs based on the character creation system..lol.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

Beta doesn't excuse entire systems that appear to need an overhaul. This isn't a game that's a series of small bug fixes away from brilliance, let's get real. We've all seen the combat, I can't imagine hundreds of hours of that.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lockwoodx
    @pause422: I've tried to download it twice from gamer's hell because they are the only site I get more than 300kbps. Both times it would get to about 90% and the connection would simply die on me. I might just have to let it run all night which is gonna suck.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @ryanwho said:
    " Beta doesn't excuse entire systems that appear to need an overhaul. This isn't a game that's a series of small bug fixes away from brilliance, let's get real. We've all seen the combat, I can't imagine hundreds of hours of that. "
    LOL. I think the bugs will be out, but yeah, I don't know how much content it'll have. That's the hard part.  Anyone have any comparison to EVE Online?  What's it's content like by comparison?  Is it vast or generic & not the main focus?

I heard this game was supposed to have a Klingon all PvP feature as well. So it definitely sounds like they're putting it out before the entire game is complete.  On the other hand, it gives them a lot of growing room to expand the game in the future.  That is probably their design strategy: get the game out there & then grow it over time.  I really hope Cryptic can make it work.
    LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidS
    @Lind_L_Taylor:

Can't really compare a Beta with a 6+ year old MMO tbh.  
    SoothsayerGB  hit the nail on the head with what he said earlier though. 

Was 2 years into Eve before I even did a mission and lvling system is based on real time not on how much free time you have to grind missions. Probebly why the age group that do play Eve is older than the ones that play WoW. Most people with familes, work etc dont have 8 hours a day they can grind their characters up. 
    That as well as the fact you don't have to buy the game or expansions, they are all included in the monthly fee, are just some of the reasons why Eve is vastly superior to any Cryptic MMO I've seen. 

Plus 300 vs 300 (when servers can handle it) is a pretty awesome site.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.