Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 17, 2015

Large-scale infantry Star Wars battles return in this reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series (from the studio behind the Battlefield series).

Frustrating design decisions (?)

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

A few days of play and I'm left with a few minor frustrations that have really hampered my opinion of the game:

• The lack of choice when it comes to spawning is...troublesome. I'm used to the amount of deaths I typically accrue in a Battlefield match, but the lack of choice in where I spawn makes it feel worse? Anyone else feel this? I understand that these are smaller maps, but I feel as though I'm always placed at least 30 seconds away from the nearest scuffle, which leads me to my second problem...

• Jetpacks! I hate the necessity of having a jetpack, but I feel that due to the aiming/gun selection that I'm handicapped unless I've equipped the card. The lack of vehicles for easy traversal usually means a nice little hike to a place where I'll take a stray laser bolt and have to repeat the entire process again. The jetpack helps immensely with this, but then that also limits my toolset. I always feel like I'm *missing* a key mechanic when I don't have the card equipped.

• The glare of Sullust! Oh, how you blind me. The Walker match on Sullust, particularly for the Empire, is fairly blinding. I appreciate how great the visuals are in this game, but given the game's four(?!) Walker maps, having one being entirely terrible to...well, see on, feels awful. I groan every time and have had to play this exact scenario enough times that I am now avoiding the playlist entirely.

I have myriad other problems with the product, but I'm trying to be understanding with DICE's new take on the franchise. I miss classes. I miss tangible vehicles lying around everywhere. As a Battlefront 1 fan specifically, I miss invulnerable, computer-controlled hero characters. I miss AI enemies on ground fights! It's not all bad, however. I really enjoy Heroes Vs. Villains, but it's become tedious across the mode's four maps. I have such conflicting feelings about a game that seems so well produced with such hollow design. Anyone mirror these? I'm probably being picky, but it's making me more than a little sad to run my head against these issues over and over again.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I agree about the spawns.

I've played about 8 hours of this game and various modes, but all of them feel like Team Deathmatch to me. I've given up on 'defending/attacking' objectives, because when I try to get to one I've been shot to death 5 times (in the back, always in the back) before getting half way to it.
    So this is my experience so far:

*spawn* - ok, there's the objective, run run run. - PEWPEWPEW *DEAD*
    *spawns in totally different place* - eh, ok, I guess we're going for that objective now, go go go. Damn, it's far awa - PEWPEWPEW *DEAD*
    *spawns again in a different place* - What? Where are we, ah the icon is over there. Almost there now. "The objective has been moved, push back" - also PEWPEWBOING *dead*
    *spawns in the first location*

I have no clue what is going on when doing Supremacy or Walker Assault. Are we winning? What do we have to do where.
    So I'll just enjoy the scenery and shoot some fools :)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I haven't unlocked the Jet Pack yet (4 hours in) but it just seems like a good way to get killed. I'm currently sitting on 81% wins, so if you're ignoring the objective you're probably doing yourself a disservice. My advice would be don't just run blindly at it but keep scanning your surroundings. The maps aren't small at all and you can easily be flanked or attacked from behind. While the enemy is more likely to be coming from the direction of the objective there's nothing stopping them walking round the edges of the map and coming behind you. Alternatively try Drop Pod and Droid whatever-it's-called which are only 8v8. Much more manageable to work out where the enemy is coming from and I've never actually lost on those modes.

My other advice would be if you want to get a positive KD ratio then get in an AT-ST or a turret. I had one game where I went 32-5 because I got a 30 kill streak in an AT-ST. Just hang back and drop the L1 attack around corners, it's broken.

All that said, I am mostly annoyed that they reduced the squad size to two. Seems insane to me that you can only play with one other friend, and if you have an odd number in your group the one guy left over can't squad spawn at all!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The more I learn about this thing, the more unimpressive it seems. You know what's a great game? Battlefront 1.

No playable heroes, great map variety, vehicles that weren't power-ups. You could jetpack through a window on Bespin to flank droids, abandon your ship to drop deep behind enemy lines, or drop onto a walker and rain death from above. You could feel the frontline moving in that old thing, and the effect you had on it. It had the sort of commando shit you wanted out of a Battlefield game, but with Star Wars. This seems more like a closer mix between a standard shooter like Call of Duty and the open objective-based sort of shooter like Battlefield. Run towards the objective and shoot or die, occasionally getting a power-up, then rinse and repeat. Maybe it's just the gameplay and accounts I've been exposed to, but this thing seems really... simple. And not the fun kind like actual Call of Duty.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeh the big scenarios arent very much fun beyond the awesome graphics, the smaller battlemodes however are a blast.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I agree, that the spawning is really bad. You really shouldn't be able to spawn next to 3 or 4 enemies, or inside a fucking thermal detonator explosion. This could certainly be bettered by simply being able to choose spawn locations. (Partner spawns are mostly useless in my opinion.)

I don't mind the Jetpack at all, and barely ever use it myself. I never liked camping in these kinds of games and it's what most people use it for (by jumping up on something), so whatever.

What currently annoys me most of all is how bad most of the player base seems to be. I'm not saying I'm great or whatever, but holy shit, there are so many people who don't have a clue about what's going on, it's amazing. People standing next to Uplink stations/droids/pods, but not activating them. People not going after the cargo carrier, even though he runs right past them. People just running to their death immediately after spawning over and over again. (Why the fuck would you choose to run out that same door over and over along with 2-3 other people, when you know the enemies are behind fortified positions and just picking you off time and time again? Go run another way, damn it!)

I know you can always happen among bad teams in these games, but here it seems way more prominent to me, probably because there are loads of people who never play shooters and are just there for the license.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

I think the jump pack is a real game changer, I like that the cards limit what you carry. I do think the standard jump height should be higher. There feels like a few too many ledges that are a fraction too high to reach. The spawns are bad at times. I have on occasion spawned on an enemy or behind the other teams spawn resulting in killing 5 or 6 people with a single grenade.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The spawns are bad, but they don't actually bother me too much. I find the card/pick-up system really un-fun and stilted, everyone having unlimited grenades results in constant spam, and the pick-ups for the heroes are literally in the same place every time. I get that they've tried to design it so anyone can have the easy star-wars-fun, but I've found that most of the time the top players tend to just camp the hero or walker spawns and then just grab them over and over.

The weirdest thing is the baffling lack of content, there are literally only 2 land vehicles, and one of them is useless.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By soulcake

The one that Weirded me out the most was the lack of a class system. The Original Battlefront and Battlefront II had a amazing array off class Variety like a Spy class a Engineer a Medic ....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.