Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 26, 2003

A massively multiplayer game set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars Galaxies shifted focus several times but never escaped the shadow of World of Warcraft. In December 2011, the game was shut down in preparation for the launch of BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Sad to see it end

Hopskotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Hopskotch

It's hard to believe that almost a decade ago I was playing Star Wars Galaxies, and now it's ending. The saddest part is, I won't be there to see it happen. As lame and such as this may sound, I met a lot of awesome people and made tons of great memories playing that game. There are some people from this game I still talk to, people who I've known longer than my younger siblings, it's strange to think about really. But now it's over, and yeah it's for the best (they've been beating a dead horse that was long dead and buried for years). Say what you will about NGE, but this game was amazing in it's prime. Never had a game given me that feeling of immersion and adventure, the true feeling of being whatever the hell I wanted to be. The way the professions worked was pretty awesome and made for a pretty individual feel of every character. Although I was a kid I still had an awesome appreciation for the houses in this game, I worked for every credit I had to fill my house with couches and cabinets, misc loot and bones to build a place that was truly my own. For weeks I worked to become a creature handler, training small animals and selling them for petty change (I was like 11 I didn't know any better). These are only some of the memories of this game, there's just too much to cover it all in text. From late night talks with friends, events in the player cities, personalities of the server and even friendships built on a less than friendly rivalry. The game allowed you to be whoever you saw yourself as, and on your adventures to do missions or even to just take in the scenery, you were bound to run into someone new and make a friend. So goodbye SWG, it was fun and I stuck with you as long as I could. I enjoyed you in your prime. I played through the CU (it wasn't all that bad). Finally, (this was a tough stage) I played you through the NGE, leaving and returning for months at a time just trying to keep the memories alive. I only wish I could see you go myself, on my character who you helped build as much as I did but I missed the deadline so don't take it personally SWG, it's not you, it's me.

Hopskotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hopskotch

It's hard to believe that almost a decade ago I was playing Star Wars Galaxies, and now it's ending. The saddest part is, I won't be there to see it happen. As lame and such as this may sound, I met a lot of awesome people and made tons of great memories playing that game. There are some people from this game I still talk to, people who I've known longer than my younger siblings, it's strange to think about really. But now it's over, and yeah it's for the best (they've been beating a dead horse that was long dead and buried for years). Say what you will about NGE, but this game was amazing in it's prime. Never had a game given me that feeling of immersion and adventure, the true feeling of being whatever the hell I wanted to be. The way the professions worked was pretty awesome and made for a pretty individual feel of every character. Although I was a kid I still had an awesome appreciation for the houses in this game, I worked for every credit I had to fill my house with couches and cabinets, misc loot and bones to build a place that was truly my own. For weeks I worked to become a creature handler, training small animals and selling them for petty change (I was like 11 I didn't know any better). These are only some of the memories of this game, there's just too much to cover it all in text. From late night talks with friends, events in the player cities, personalities of the server and even friendships built on a less than friendly rivalry. The game allowed you to be whoever you saw yourself as, and on your adventures to do missions or even to just take in the scenery, you were bound to run into someone new and make a friend. So goodbye SWG, it was fun and I stuck with you as long as I could. I enjoyed you in your prime. I played through the CU (it wasn't all that bad). Finally, (this was a tough stage) I played you through the NGE, leaving and returning for months at a time just trying to keep the memories alive. I only wish I could see you go myself, on my character who you helped build as much as I did but I missed the deadline so don't take it personally SWG, it's not you, it's me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.