Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Imperial Agent: Operative or Sniper? (Help!!!)

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Junkerman

Greetings,

As you have no doubt gleaned from the topic title, I'm having trouble deciding on which of the advance specialization to choose upon reaching level 10.

I recently participated in the weekend beta, and chose the sniper specialization, but had to stop playing before really getting to check it out. Now because you are locked into your choice (correct me if I'm wrong) the decision I make is fairly important, as it decides the future of my character.

I would rather play as the operative, as healing has always been my preferred role in online games (not to mention they are always in demand), but I as I plan on mostly playing this game singleplayer to experience the story content, I am afraid that playing the healing route will significantly degrade my experience if I cannot efficiently solo as well as the other options. So my question goes out to those who have experience with either class option or both. Does the Operative hold up as well soloing as the Sniper? Is there a predominantly ranged role for the Operative, or are they restricted more to melee with the stealth tree?

**It should be noted that I dont want to play a melee character, so my last question refers to the Operatives ranged capabilities.

***Is there going to be dual-specs?

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Patman99

I dont know if there is dual-specs but I think the sniper looks pretty damn cool. Having a good range is always good no matter if you are playing PVE or PVP.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Silver-Streak

There are no dual specs. They're adding it post launch, and when they do, it's only going to be between talent trees within your AC, not between ACs.

AC choice is (semi) permenant. I say semi because they have a one-shot undo option. In the beta it's a vendor on the 2nd planet. Supposedly there'll be a story option after launch instead.

Operative as healers are ok, but not as powerful as the Inquisitor nor the Bounty Hunter specced to healing.

Now, this was as of 2(correction, 3, as this upcoming weekend is a new build) builds ago, so that could have changed since then.

Edit: Also, don't worry about soloing. I heard they did some crazy balancing stuff last build making it really hard to solo for everyone, but apparently that was due to some erroneous math. When you have your companion with you, you can solo fine regardless of spec.

Especially once you get the additional companions that fill the role you're missing.

(Most people start with companions that mirror their class, besides Smuggler. However, you'll eventually get companions to fill every role. So if you're a healer/burst dps, you'll get a ranged or melee tank companion to counteract your limits)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Either you're playing dps/tank and you have a healer with you as a companion, or you're a healer and your companion is dps/tank.

Maybe soloing would be harder if you're a healer and you bring another one. Slower, at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.