Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

My Final Thoughts on The Old Republic

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Edited By CJduke

After almost 8 days of played time, I have cancelled my Old Republic account. It's unfortunate because I liked the game a lot, but in the end it just wasn't enough to get me to continue to pay $15 a month. Here are my thoughts on what I liked about the game, and what made me cancel my subscription. 

The Good:

- The story stuff is by far the best part of the game. I played as a sith inquisitor and I really loved how I got to do so much classic star wars stuff. My uprising from apprentice to a Darth was really cool and I liked all my companions and characters in my story. I felt like they did a really solid job of writing an entertaining star wars epic, and it reminded me of the greatness of kotor. 

-The flashpoints were fun, black talon was an awesome experience on the first run through. It was unfortunate that they couldn't have had more story in some other the others, but the Darth Malgus stuff was pretty interesting, even though its a bit lackluster that they have it be a regular flashpoint rather than the final raid of the game. 

-The companions were awesome to have, they helped the questing a lot and allowed you to get through some areas by yourself you normally wouldn't be able to.

-The crafting was probably my second favorite part of the game, it was so nice to be able to create multiple items at once while I was questing. Extremely convenient and a really nice system I wouldn't mind seeing in future mmo's

-The legacy system is a cool idea, though obviously I haven't seen the rewards of it yet (since its not in the game) but I liked making a last name to differentiate myself.  

-The modding is a great idea since it allows you to keep one piece of gear throughout the entire game if you want.

Why I cancelled:

I reached level 50 and was really excited to get into the end game content. That's when the game started to be less fun and more of a grind for me. I never ever want to run Black Talon or Boarding Party ever again. 

-The gear has 0 variety. Everyone in the game looks the same. All you have to do is grind a few hard modes every day and you can get the second best pve set in the game with ease. Not to mention all three sets look exactly the same, resulting in everyone wearing the same gear. 

-The pvp isn't very fun. I played on Empire and Ilum is pretty pointless on my server because it is so imbalanced that the republic never has a chance. So, republic players hardly ever go to Ilum, making the entire world pvp pointless. The warzones can be fun, except as a healer it is impossible to target people on your team. There is no way to tab between players quickly which sucks when you need to select someone fast. Your choice is to see their name and then find it on the left side of the screen, click on it and the heal them, or click on their physical character while they are running around and fighting. Good luck getting the heal off in time. 

-The game isn't very challenging. People are pugging raids on my server and completing them with ease. I never ran any raids, but all the hard modes I did were not very difficult at all and took very little coordination. I played vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade, back when getting gear meant that you were in an awesome guild that had a lot of smart players that were dedicated to raiding and figuring out strategies to beat bosses. When you saw someone wearing tier 6 gear you knew they were an awesome player who had worked hard to get that far in the game. It made your character stand out. The Old Republic feels like it doesn't take much strategy or effort to get good gear, and people on my server have complained about how easy the end game is constantly. 

-Money is very easy to get. At first when I saw some speeders cost 1,500,000 I thought "man its gonna be cool to get one of those not many people will have them" then I go to the fleet and see ten people riding them. This just reinforces the easiness of the game.

-Now this is just a very personal opinion, but the world feels too restrictive. Yes I know it comes with the territory, star wars is a bunch of planets, not one giant world, but I prefer the large world of WoW with very little loading times. It made it feel like more of an adventure. Also it felt like every planet in tor had some buildings or walls preventing you from going off their preset path which was really annoying. 

I enjoyed the game a lot, but I guess playing it just made me realize I no longer want a "WoW" style mmo. The Old republic is a very well made game with some awesome content, I just wish they had been more original beyond the story stuff. In my opinion they tried to copy the WoW formula too much and of course failed to make it as good.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By CJduke

After almost 8 days of played time, I have cancelled my Old Republic account. It's unfortunate because I liked the game a lot, but in the end it just wasn't enough to get me to continue to pay $15 a month. Here are my thoughts on what I liked about the game, and what made me cancel my subscription. 

The Good:

- The story stuff is by far the best part of the game. I played as a sith inquisitor and I really loved how I got to do so much classic star wars stuff. My uprising from apprentice to a Darth was really cool and I liked all my companions and characters in my story. I felt like they did a really solid job of writing an entertaining star wars epic, and it reminded me of the greatness of kotor. 

-The flashpoints were fun, black talon was an awesome experience on the first run through. It was unfortunate that they couldn't have had more story in some other the others, but the Darth Malgus stuff was pretty interesting, even though its a bit lackluster that they have it be a regular flashpoint rather than the final raid of the game. 

-The companions were awesome to have, they helped the questing a lot and allowed you to get through some areas by yourself you normally wouldn't be able to.

-The crafting was probably my second favorite part of the game, it was so nice to be able to create multiple items at once while I was questing. Extremely convenient and a really nice system I wouldn't mind seeing in future mmo's

-The legacy system is a cool idea, though obviously I haven't seen the rewards of it yet (since its not in the game) but I liked making a last name to differentiate myself.  

-The modding is a great idea since it allows you to keep one piece of gear throughout the entire game if you want.

Why I cancelled:

I reached level 50 and was really excited to get into the end game content. That's when the game started to be less fun and more of a grind for me. I never ever want to run Black Talon or Boarding Party ever again. 

-The gear has 0 variety. Everyone in the game looks the same. All you have to do is grind a few hard modes every day and you can get the second best pve set in the game with ease. Not to mention all three sets look exactly the same, resulting in everyone wearing the same gear. 

-The pvp isn't very fun. I played on Empire and Ilum is pretty pointless on my server because it is so imbalanced that the republic never has a chance. So, republic players hardly ever go to Ilum, making the entire world pvp pointless. The warzones can be fun, except as a healer it is impossible to target people on your team. There is no way to tab between players quickly which sucks when you need to select someone fast. Your choice is to see their name and then find it on the left side of the screen, click on it and the heal them, or click on their physical character while they are running around and fighting. Good luck getting the heal off in time. 

-The game isn't very challenging. People are pugging raids on my server and completing them with ease. I never ran any raids, but all the hard modes I did were not very difficult at all and took very little coordination. I played vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade, back when getting gear meant that you were in an awesome guild that had a lot of smart players that were dedicated to raiding and figuring out strategies to beat bosses. When you saw someone wearing tier 6 gear you knew they were an awesome player who had worked hard to get that far in the game. It made your character stand out. The Old Republic feels like it doesn't take much strategy or effort to get good gear, and people on my server have complained about how easy the end game is constantly. 

-Money is very easy to get. At first when I saw some speeders cost 1,500,000 I thought "man its gonna be cool to get one of those not many people will have them" then I go to the fleet and see ten people riding them. This just reinforces the easiness of the game.

-Now this is just a very personal opinion, but the world feels too restrictive. Yes I know it comes with the territory, star wars is a bunch of planets, not one giant world, but I prefer the large world of WoW with very little loading times. It made it feel like more of an adventure. Also it felt like every planet in tor had some buildings or walls preventing you from going off their preset path which was really annoying. 

I enjoyed the game a lot, but I guess playing it just made me realize I no longer want a "WoW" style mmo. The Old republic is a very well made game with some awesome content, I just wish they had been more original beyond the story stuff. In my opinion they tried to copy the WoW formula too much and of course failed to make it as good.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I still think they should have cut out all the MMO stuff and made it a regular-ass RPG, but then it probably would have played like KOTOR, and I wouldn't have played it anyway. 8 days is still a lot of days though. That's over a week.

You spent over a week of your life playing this game. That's insane. I know it's not anywhere near as much as a lot of people put into games like WoW, but it's still insane. Not from a game content point of view, but from a "what am I doing with my spare time" point of view. But I guess you could say that about all video games, and most things in general.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mosdl

Yeah, the cons are the same for me, probably won't renew as well. Plus the Republic guild is pretty dead it seems.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust

@mosdl said:

Yeah, the cons are the same for me, probably won't renew as well. Plus the Republic guild is pretty dead it seems.

Yeah. I'll probably cancel my account too. I felt it was getting repetitive...

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I agree with most of it.

I really liked the personal touch, I fondly look back at leveling my Consular, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter.
    Superb story and the classes felt pretty varied, but the outright cloning of the classes on the other side was just horrible.

Thing I hated the most was the boundaries.
    Level up once and you've seen it all.
    No different planets, no different quests (besides your class story, big whoop 10 minutes!) and because of the legacy system still not being available I feel little incentive to play more.

I'd like to think there'll be a reason for me to resubscribe but there's nothing more I want from the game. 
    I've done what I wanted to do.

On the plus side, it made me resub to WoW and I forgot how much more the game just offers (and I'm not talking content, because I know they got 3 expansions and dozens of patches) to me personally.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CJduke
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Yes the boundaries were awful
    @MooseyMcMan: Yeah, but I played WoW for about 50 days before I stopped. And if Iwasn't playing TOR I would have been playing other games instead, so its just video game sin general I guess.
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By adoggz

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

On the plus side, it made me resub to WoW and I forgot how much more the game just offers (and I'm not talking content, because I know they got 3 expansions and dozens of patches) to me personally.

ugh, swtor is really making me want to do that as well. I wish I knew what it is about wow that makes me want to resub. I really like swtor but it just doesn't have that spark I guess, I hope they find it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.