Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Pre- Loading Game, Need Help?

bobcat1794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bobcat1794

Im new to the whole mmo and computer gaming entirely but i got the email to pre download and i did and it didnt take as long as i thought it would but it brought me to the games log in screen and when i signed in it started to download a video. So what i was wondering is if i downloaded it and i just cant do anything until the release or something else completely? please help im clueless when it comes to stuff like this and i just want to make sure that i didnt screw anything up.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By warchief

if the game client is anything like the beta your Old Republic install should be around the high 30 or 40 gig mark. Make sure the game is in stalled by checking your add/remove programs list on the PC. If you are super worried go to the link that was provided in the email you received and download the .exe again.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zimbo

You downloaded the client which is now downloading the game files. You won't be able to play until the game is released or you get the early access. Just let it do its thing.

@Warchief: Mine only seems to be 18.4GB.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Funkydupe

The client is around 18-19 gigs.

If you have a larger client folder it is because you participated in multiple stages of beta and your folders contain some scrap from earlier.

Once you're done patching, It'll tell you there's no Active Subscription on your account. This is normal. The game is not launched yet.

bobcat1794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bobcat1794

thanks everybody

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bunnymud

I think one of the first things it downloads is the intro video. At least that is what I recall seeing.

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Metalhead79

Before the forums went down for the launch reset, there was a sticky posted saying the full client is around 27gb. I am using the latest build from beta, which is around 31gb - I have some redundant files, apparently. OP, after you enter your login credentials it will start to download. It downloads videos, english assets, etc.. Just let it do it's thing. When the downloading and installing is finished you will see the download bar disappear and a message will be in it's place saying there is no active subscription on your account. You can also check the size of the game folder in your directory. If it's 27gb, you're good.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

@Metalhead79 said:

Before the forums went down for the launch reset, there was a sticky posted saying the full client is around 27gb. I am using the latest build from beta, which is around 31gb - I have some redundant files, apparently. OP, after you enter your login credentials it will start to download. It downloads videos, english assets, etc.. Just let it do it's thing. When the downloading and installing is finished you will see the download bar disappear and a message will be in it's place saying there is no active subscription on your account. You can also check the size of the game folder in your directory. If it's 27gb, you're good.

Actually it seems to be 18.4 GB for the majority of people with a fresh install.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By matt

@CL60 said:

@Metalhead79 said:

Actually it seems to be 18.4 GB for the majority of people with a fresh install.

I did a fresh install before the big beta weekend recently and it's around 18GB

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Metalhead79

That's interesting. I might do a fresh install and see what I get.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Pinworm45

I recommend you all lauch the launcher every day, or a few times before the game goes live. I've launched it every day since the beta and every day I've downloaded another update.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Funkydupe

It is going to be really exciting to see how the servers hold up. Maybe the "Staggered Release" through Early Access is the right approach MMOs should be on for the future as well.

Apparently during the last Beta weekend, they had a much larger number of players joining servers than they expect to be the case on Day 1 (20th Dec), and none of the servers crashed as a result of the stress. The servers built queues though, so I'd expect some of that if there's one specific server you absolutely have to play on. Whenever I faced queues during the beta weekend, I simply chose to create a character on one of the other servers available.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343

@Warchief said:

if the game client is anything like the beta your Old Republic install should be around the high 30 or 40 gig mark. Make sure the game is in stalled by checking your add/remove programs list on the PC. If you are super worried go to the link that was provided in the email you received and download the .exe again.

They did some fancy things with compression and removing 'redundant' files. The final thing seems to be less than 20gigs.

@bobcat1794: With those files downloaded, you should be good for launch. If you've pre-ordered the game, and applied that code to your account on their website, you'll be able to play before launch. Worst case scenario with everything downloaded: you stop by Gamestop on December 20th (assuming that they have the game in stock), you pick it up. You link the CD to your account. You log in, download a quick day-1 patch. And you start playing immediately. No heavy downloads, no installation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.