Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Blizzard Details StarCraft II's 1.1 Patch, First Balance Changes

• 138 results
    dieguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By dieguy

Nooooo my zealots! 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By jorbear

Good to see MMM isn't being directly nerfed.

fjor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By fjor
    @DoctorWelch said:
     1. Reapers suck at everything except early game harass so if you start to take that away, that unit might as well not even be in the game so thats sorta weird.
    yah....they are kinda useless now :/
    wenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By wenis

THIS IS BULLSHIT! **knocks over magazine rack**

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Xeiphyer

I can't help but feel like the units they are nerfing are the ones I already found to be too weak. I never use Ultralisks because they are garbage, and now they are worse.

I was expecting Zerg units to get a boost, since they are weak in the mid-late game, but instead they just made it easier to rush the other teams, so I guess thats not that bad... 

Not exactly what everyone had in mind though =P

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By raiz265

i'm terran and i think i like the tank change... 

now those fuckers won't oneshot my marines in TvT anymore

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Rayeth
    @Xeiphyer:   You are living in some alternate dimension where Ultralisks are garbage?  Man.  Cause where I am they are amazing.  I use them all the time vs T and P to break armored units and wipe out bases.  The change to remove their ram attack makes them even better at hitting annoying small buildings like pylons and supply depots.  I dunno about the damage nerf there, but I can live with it probably..
    LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By LegalBagel

The fact that only Siege Mode tank damage got (drastically) reduced is going to make things weird.  I haven't crunched the numbers, but it almost feels like an unsieged tank might be the way to go in a lot of situations.  Lose the splash damage, but if you're outputting as much or more damage and stay mobile, it might be worth it.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Cretaceous_Bob: 

That is truly with nearly every tier 3 unit.  If you get 24 carriers, nothing will stop you.  If you get 24 Ultras with some air support, nothing will stop you.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By Feanor
    @Xeiphyer: Ultras are pretty beastly. 

The whole Zealot thing is kind of annoying, Protoss was probably the most balanced race, and they nerfed their best strat. Meanwhile Terran can still faceroll with MMM.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By ajamafalous
    @zoner said:
    " I think if it wasn't for Idra vs Morrow than Marauders would've gotten the nerf over reapers "
    Yep.
    yami4ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By yami4ct

It'll definitely be a major shift, I'll tell you that. It's not all for the worse, though. This patch will really bring Zerg back into the game and bring Terrans down to the level they should be at. Sure MMM isn't nerfed, as far as we know as Blizzard has said this isn't it, but with the Siege Tank hit, it'll significantly hurt T. As a 'Toss guy, the Zealot increase is a bit disconcerting, but I can understand it. Zerg are the rush race and both T and P can currently rush better than them. Sure it'll make defending against a 6-Pool much more difficult, but I'm certain the community will come up with strats to counter. This should be a significant enough change to bring me back. I've not been playing recently because every match I've played was vs T and ultimately the overpoweredness of that race just annoyed me.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Deathpooky:   Reduction in siege splash damage helps the terran in a "off" kind of way.  Less splash means your own units are taking less damage from them too, so it won't hurt AS much to stand in the shelling.  This lets the forward units soften them up while the sieges finish them off.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ajamafalous
    @EggPuppet said:

" Why take away the Ultralisk's ram? It was a neat animation, it was fun, and it had extremely little impact on the game. "

Blizzard said:

" The ultralisk building attack (Ram) is being removed because the damage rate is too similar to its normal attack, which will be used against buildings instead. When ultralisks target tightly packed smaller buildings such as supply depots, the Ram attack is actually outputting considerably less overall damage than its normal attack, as Ram only hits a single target. "

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By NoXious

As a Terran player, I approve of these changes! In fact, I am surprised that Marine / Marauder didn't get a nerf yet.
    I guess they can be countered but it requires decent players... The big problem is that it takes a terrible player to set that combo up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Feanor said:
    " The reaper's increased build time makes me happy. But increasing the Zealots makes me a little worried. Maybe they are trying to make Zerg more popular now by making them even more rush friendly. "
    I don't like this, as a zerg player who loves to play the marco game, I hate playing against zerg players who rush. This may be due to me losing three games straight to zerg rushes like 10 minutes ago, but I hate it when I scout see that he has went an early pool, when I usually don't get mine till 13 or 14. On a map with a short rush distance, by the time I finish my pool he already has lings in my base. Not cool. I guess I just have too scout early, or just always get my pool early against zerg.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By Cirdain
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @CaptainFish said:
    "

Every warpgate unit has it's own cooldown time, I'm assuming the 5 second increase is only for zealots from the warpgate.

"
    When you warp in one unit from a warpgate, it has a cooldown before you can warp in another unit. The Zealot cooldown is for when you build one from a regular gate I believe, and the second cooldown increase is for how long it takes before you can warp in another unit from a warpgate.

This patch needs more voidray nerfing >=(
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#69  Edited By AndrewB

I was taken out by the computer with a Zealot rush just yesterday... 

You'd think these balance changes would have come up during the beta where countless people were already playing their game.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Semition
    @BunkerBuster said:
    " I still don't see how this help the Zerg at tier 3 against the other races at tier 3. And then they nerf the Ultralisk? Well see I guess. "
    Zerg has no problem at tier 3. Both the Ultralisks, Infestors and Broodlords are all very powerful against both T and P. Zerg's problem is at early game.
    Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The zealot time isn't that bad once you have chrono boost and warp gate, so the time difference will be significantly less.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Feanor
    @RhombusOfTerror: Warpgate cd are now 5 seconds longer as well.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @zoner said:
    " I think if it wasn't for Idra vs Morrow than Marauders would've gotten the nerf over reapers "
    Yep. "
    The players have nothing to do with it, everyone was doing it.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MikkaQ

Kinda weird to hear the Zerg getting a slight nerfing, especially after all these talks I hear of them being underpowered.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#75  Edited By Y2Ken

Damn, that's some noticeable changes. I started as 'Toss, but I actually have taken to playing Random now, day[9] style (although not quite at his level haha). Taking the Ram attack seems like quite a big deal, I haven't heard many people talk about it but isn't that the thing that does big damage to buildings?
    And wow that's a big hit on tanks, they don't feel that strong, they are pretty immobile after all so having too many makes your army weak to maneuverable tactics like drops, but I guess they have been used a lot in pretty much all tournaments so far. And slowing down Reaper harass? Probably wise but I do enjoy using that.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#76  Edited By vager

I'm way more interested in knowing what the editor and custom map changes are. 

gloveslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By gloveslash

how long u guys been playin

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Rayeth

I am betting that this is only a smattering of the changes from this patch.  I will reserve judgment on how awesome this is or isn't until I can see all the notes (plus who knows how many unlisted changes will make it in).

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Nime
    @Y2Ken:  
    @ajamafalous
    said: 
    Blizzard said:

" The ultralisk building attack (Ram) is being removed because the damage rate is too similar to its normal attack, which will be used against buildings instead. When ultralisks target tightly packed smaller buildings such as supply depots, the Ram attack is actually outputting considerably less overall damage than its normal attack, as Ram only hits a single target. "

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#80  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @DoctorWelch: The Reaper/Bunker build time increases are probably more in response to the ease at which Terran could proxy bunker rush a Zerg player
    Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#81  Edited By Y2Ken
    @Nime: Ah thanks for clarifying, that makes sense I guess. Not a unit I use often anyway. Will go and read the SitRep soon, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm guessing they'll discuss it on StarCast and Weapon of Choice too.
    JusticeReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By JusticeReturns

wow... just wow.

that zealot rush is so brutal, i have no idea how a toss player could possibly stop a 6 pool other than to completely block the ramp with pylon. but even then, lings could easily bust it down before you have a stalker out.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#83  Edited By jakob187

I find it funny that so many 'toss players are complaining about the Zealot and Warp Gate nerfs, saying that it means all PvZ matches are going to be 6-pool wins for Zerg.  At the same time, many of those that are complaining are also the same ones that are focusing on doing a Zealot rush in the beginning rather than using Photon Cannons with a boost Zealot in the beginning to choke off their entrance and squash a 6-pool, then getting two racks out in order to pump out Zealots.  If anything, you don't need to worry about Zerg.  You need to worry about M&M more than anything at this point!

Blizzard is basically saying "we want the Protoss to have a real reason for having more than one Gateway up early in the game".  Any 'toss that are losing to a 6-pool, even after the patch hits, is just a bad 'toss.  6-pool is incredibly easy to squash early in the game, but people rarely make defenses at their base early in the game. 

We can also say that the Zealot nerf will encourage people to amass Stalkers, but hell, that's already what players are doing...then using Warp for micro.  Therefore, it's not like this nerf is changing THAT at all, nor is it encouraging it anymore.  Instead, it is Blizz saying "we understand that this rush strat is too powerful, and we want people to PLAY A GAME, not just CHEESE every time they play".  Many potential good games get thrown out because both teams in a 1v1 decide that they want to rush the other. 

Besides...it's not like they nerfed the Cannon Rush.

As for the Terran nerfs, I think it's funny that people are bitching about the Battlecruiser nerfs.  Most don't realize that the BCs were being used as a mixture for base DEFENSE with the bunkers, which is why BOTH are getting hit with the nerfbat. 

Thankfully, the biggest culprit - the Siege Tank - is getting beaten hard with a nerf bat!  That fucker is BLOODY at this point!  That shit was WAAAAAAY too powerful for its range at endgame, and hopefully, this will give people a much better chance at GOOD matches rather than BULLSHIT matches.  I will say that I don't understand the reasoning behind increasing the production time of Marines, given that a Terran can wall off a base early on and M&M with Meds and Stims has been so abused.  Nonetheless, as hard as the Terran's endgame has been hit with these nerfs, the fact that no changes have been made to Marines and Marauders makes sense at that point. 

The Ultralisk thing is a fully necessary nerf, as I can't count how many games I've had where I had Ultralisks that just wrecked a Terran base with ease. 

The only thing that I believe needs to be changed massively for Terran is that Medivacs need to be replaced with Medics.  Sure, there are easy means of AA in the game, but the fact that Meds can transport AND heal is kind of a joke to me, especially when the Zerg has to sacrifice their pop cap in order to transport units, whether it be by getting a Nydus in the back of a base or by literally using the Overlords as a transport.  Personally, the Zerg have so much that they have to sacrifice in order to become powerful, while it seemed as though Terran and Protoss had very few sacrifices to make for their strats to be effective.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @StarvingGamer:Yeah, I get that too. I guess I just didnt think about it until I read the blizzard site because I think reapers are the stupidest unit in the game so I never use them, and now they are even stupider. I just think they are going about things wrong. Zerg is obviously at a disadvantage in the game as a whole, and I think that instead of trying to nerf Terran and Protoss, they need to just make Zerg a bit stronger. Back to the Reaper thing though, this patch is going to make Reapers even more useless than the were before, so honestly there is no point in even having that unit in the game.
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @Semition: Terran Vikings and Protoss Void Rays absolutely destroy Zerg air units. The Infestor and Brood Lord are only good against bioballs/Battlecrusers, and the Ultralisk is getting a damage nerf. So yea I think they have late game problems. 

It still helps a large amount that the patch stopped all the early harass that the Zerg don't get and for that I should be thankful.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00d76666221
    deactivated-5f00d76666221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a terrain main I think this is quite fair.  Disagree with the comments that reapers are useless now, hellions will definetly be preferable, but reapers still have their own good unique traits.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mosdef
    @thomasnash:  agreed.  im a zerg player and this was a long time coming.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By frankxiv

i'm waiting for a patch that gives me a reason to make archons

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Feanor
    @jakob187: Zerg are the least of the Toss' problems. I still can't believe that MMM didn't get a nerf. The fact that Marauders are a counter for almost every Protoss ground unit is a little ridiculous. 
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Nephrahim
    @Feanor said:
    " @jakob187: Zerg are the least of the Toss' problems. I still can't believe that MMM didn't get a nerf. The fact that Marauders are a counter for almost every Protoss ground unit is a little ridiculous.  "
    These MIGHT not be the only patch notes. 
    Toryss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Toryss

This shows how much I need to learn about Starcraft; when a mere 5 second increase to a build time is a big deal.  I honestly couldn't tell you the build time of any unit.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Fuck they're nerfing seige tanks? Why!!

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @blitzkriegblizzard:  Terran players would be stupid to use siege tanks against collosi anyway, vikings are where it's at.
    @Razor: Of course Tanks>Hydras. Tanks are the counter to Hydras...
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Feanor
    @SolidSean: There is only so much balancing you can do in beta. And its not like the game is that bad right now. Brood war took a little bit to get balanced, but once it was it was pretty great.
    XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#96  Edited By XTraFries

I'll admit, when I first read "reduced from 50 to 35 +15 armored" I was a bit blown away by it. 

Now that I've had a minute to let it sink it, I guess it is a pretty good move. I mean....50 damage is a loooot, especially with the splash. But as long as they still have their range, they still make for some good back-line supporting fire during a MMM push (which means we can't really complain too much)

As someone who also plays a lot of 'Toss, the zealot nerf kind of makes sense too. A competent 'Toss player could easily get a 2 gate rush going on and insta-win against anyone who doesn't take proper precautions (I've been on both the giving and receiving end of that many times), so adding a little more time to that seems about right (we still have chrono boost people, lest we forget ^^)

I'm looking forward to the patch to see how people adapt.
    ....all this Starcraft talk is making me wish I didn't start classes this monday. Gotta get my games in while i can ^^

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @Xeiphyer said:
    " @CaptainFish said:
    "

Every warpgate unit has it's own cooldown time, I'm assuming the 5 second increase is only for zealots from the warpgate.

"
    When you warp in one unit from a warpgate, it has a cooldown before you can warp in another unit. The Zealot cooldown is for when you build one from a regular gate I believe, and the second cooldown increase is for how long it takes before you can warp in another unit from a warpgate.  This patch needs more voidray nerfing >=( "
    I agree about the voidrays. As a player who has done the 2 player void ray rush in the past I can safely say it is waaay overpowered. They don't need to change the attack or defend of the unit itself but just make it take a little longer to tech up to void rays.
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Nephrahim

Yeah, I get why the Zealot nerf hit.  I got to the third round of the Giantbomb comp by 2 gate proxying two Zerg players ;)

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By trylks

OK, I think I'll play this game when it is finished. This means: 3 games will be released, 3 expansions will probably be released too and then some patches and some more will change the strategies completely, rendering hundreds of them useless. Then I'll be a complete noob at battlenet, but I won't feel the pain from nerfing :D

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#100  Edited By Trilogy

I play ______ so I'm mad that it got nerfed! On the other hand, I'm happy that ______ got nerfed because I don't play it and therefore it's faceroll!

Am I doing this right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.