Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Blizzard teases new OP Terran unit

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spectreman
    Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spectreman

Sorry, already in Heart of Swarm board. Perhaps they should unify the forums.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By baldgye

hahahahhaa I love LOVE the threat title!!

and I also love how blizz is trolling us with having a zerg expansion, and teasing the new terran units before the zerg ones

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShockD

Is this unit really necessary? They should have just added the old units into the skirmish and multiplayer.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MezZa

Because the first thing I want to know about the zerg expansion is what new toys the terran get. Thanks bliz.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By baldgye
    @antikorper said:
    Is this unit really necessary? They should have just added the old units into the skirmish and multiplayer.
    All races are getting new units
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thule

Crossing my fingers for lurkers.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By baldgye
    @Thule said:

Why? Marauders would rape them
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thule

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

Crossing my fingers that Marauders get replaced/removed.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By baldgye
    @Thule said:

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

nahhh they are a pretty big part of T in sc2 :P
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ben_H

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

Yes, but the marauder kinda broke Terran in SC2, and many feel it should be outright removed in the next game and replaced with something that a few similar traits, but less utility, so Terran gets an SC1 feel again. If you hear Artosis talk about it you'll understand why (he was one of the better American Terrans in SC1 but he refuses to play Terran in SC2 because of the Marauder. He referred to it as the easy button on State of The Game). It has a lot of health and armour, takes forever to kill, kills buildings and units incredibly fast (as in, one drop of marauders can snipe a nexus faster than you can respond in many cases), is highly mobile which is compounded with its ability to slow down the units it chases, making it very difficult to retreat from. From an RTS design standpoint it is not a well implemented unit. In TvP, there is no real downside to using it, as it is incredibly solid against basically any early game Protoss composition.

The marauder is like the colossus, few would be sad to see it go.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nephrahim

@Ben_H said:

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

Yes, but the marauder kinda broke Terran in SC2, and many feel it should be outright removed in the next game and replaced with something that a few similar traits, but less utility, so Terran gets an SC1 feel again. If you hear Artosis talk about it you'll understand why (he was one of the better American Terrans in SC1 but he refuses to play Terran in SC2 because of the Marauder. He referred to it as the easy button on State of The Game). It has a lot of health and armour, takes forever to kill, kills buildings and units incredibly fast (as in, one drop of marauders can snipe a nexus faster than you can respond in many cases), is highly mobile which is compounded with its ability to slow down the units it chases, making it very difficult to retreat from. From an RTS design standpoint it is not a well implemented unit. In TvP, there is no real downside to using it, as it is incredibly solid against basically any early game Protoss composition.

I'm sorry but you are living in a fantasy world if you think they are getting rid of the Marauder. When they talk about removing units, they mean ones that don't have a very good purpose like reapers (Pretty much only used for cheese, after that I've literally never seen one.)

It's possible the Marauders would get nerfed. Personally I'd just like to see the other races get more answers to it (AS you pointed out, Toss gatway units lose to Terran Barracks units 9 times out of ten, requiring higher tech, which is a pain.) But it's not the reason Terrans have such high win ratios.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShockD

And there's the new Zerg OP unit.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spectreman

Protoss new unit will be a Carrier that launches Phoenix.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ben_H

@SamDrugbringer said:

@Ben_H said:

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

I'm sorry but you are living in a fantasy world if you think they are getting rid of the Marauder. When they talk about removing units, they mean ones that don't have a very good purpose like reapers (Pretty much only used for cheese, after that I've literally never seen one.)

It's possible the Marauders would get nerfed. Personally I'd just like to see the other races get more answers to it (AS you pointed out, Toss gatway units lose to Terran Barracks units 9 times out of ten, requiring higher tech, which is a pain.) But it's not the reason Terrans have such high win ratios.

I never said it would be removed, I just said most people who I've heard discuss it want it removed or remade (Even some pro Terrans. LiquidJinro has stated many times he hates the marauder and would rather have tanks for TvP that are actually viable outside of all-ins). I imagine it will be nerfed instead, or, as you said, Protoss will be given an actual answer to it that doesn't barely work (zerg has an answer, in that most zerg styles use units it isn't good against). It definitely isn't the reason Terran does so well at high levels against Protoss. The threat of 1/1/1 seems to be the biggest issue in Pro TvP now since it requires a completely different response than most of the other builds that Terran does, like 2rax pressure, which kills the builds that are strongest against 1/1/1, IE nexus first or 1gate expand, and Protoss can't scout it early enough to decide between which response to use. Well, that and ghosts, which Protoss and Zerg are having huge issues with because of how much utility it has for its cheap gas cost.

Also, I read on the TL thread for the new Terran unit that the reaper is reportedly not being removed, and is getting reaper speed earlier again, since it was basically nerfed out of usefulness since it was hit with multiple nerfs at once (barracks after depot, no speed before factory). i have seen a couple neat uses for it, primarily by QXC who would make one wave of them instead of marauders then snipe expansions with them since they do so well against buildings.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thule

Someone on teamliquid colored in the new Zerg unit. Seems like a new version of the Lurker to me, but it could be something completely different. Only way to know for sure is when Blizzard actually reveals what it is.

No Caption Provided
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nephrahim

@Ben_H said:

@SamDrugbringer said:

@Ben_H said:

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

@baldgye said:

@Thule said:

I never said it would be removed, I just said most people who I've heard discuss it want it removed or remade (Even some pro Terrans. LiquidJinro has stated many times he hates the marauder and would rather have tanks for TvP that are actually viable outside of all-ins). I imagine it will be nerfed instead, or, as you said, Protoss will be given an actual answer to it that doesn't barely work (zerg has an answer, in that most zerg styles use units it isn't good against). It definitely isn't the reason Terran does so well at high levels against Protoss. The threat of 1/1/1 seems to be the biggest issue in Pro TvP now since it requires a completely different response than most of the other builds that Terran does, like 2rax pressure, which kills the builds that are strongest against 1/1/1, IE nexus first or 1gate expand, and Protoss can't scout it early enough to decide between which response to use. Well, that and ghosts, which Protoss and Zerg are having huge issues with because of how much utility it has for its cheap gas cost.

Also, I read on the TL thread for the new Terran unit that the reaper is reportedly not being removed, and is getting reaper speed earlier again, since it was basically nerfed out of usefulness since it was hit with multiple nerfs at once (barracks after depot, no speed before factory). i have seen a couple neat uses for it, primarily by QXC who would make one wave of them instead of marauders then snipe expansions with them since they do so well against buildings.

Great.

I can't say I had trouble with reapers, as toss I knew to pump out a stalker ASAP against Terran, and none of them managed to make one fast enough to be a threat, but I could really do without an entire cycle of buffs then nerfs again.

As for 1/1/1 pressure, it's completely why I'm dropping toss for Zerg. It's not unbeatable, but I hate the 50/50 shot I have of them doing something that I'd need to devote lots of minerals to defend against.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nephrahim

@Thule said:

Someone on teamliquid colored in the new Zerg unit. Seems like a new version of the Lurker to me, but it could be something completely different. Only way to know for sure is when Blizzard actually reveals what it is.

No Caption Provided

Oh, and this. I know everyone wants it to be a lurker, but I'm not getting that vibe at all. If I ere to guess, I'd say a Biovore like heavy artillery zerg unit, which is pretty unique. The closest they've ever had is the Lurker and Defilers/infesters.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Ineedaname

Is that shield not just combat shield? Thus probably making is a variation on the firebat.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By baldgye
    @SamDrugbringer said:

@Thule said:

No Caption Provided

Oh, and this. I know everyone wants it to be a lurker, but I'm not getting that vibe at all. If I ere to guess, I'd say a Biovore like heavy artillery zerg unit, which is pretty unique. The closest they've ever had is the Lurker and Defilers/infesters.

yeah I'd go with a seigh type unit... but who knows!! I can't wait for the MP beta of this !! :D
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ben_H

@SamDrugbringer said:

As for 1/1/1 pressure, it's completely why I'm dropping toss for Zerg. It's not unbeatable, but I hate the 50/50 shot I have of them doing something that I'd need to devote lots of minerals to defend against.

Yep, that's why my second account that is for Zerg has way more games than my Protoss account now. There shouldn't be a build that, when scouted and perfectly countered, still wins more than half the time, even though the player who lost far outplayed the player who won (See Puma vs. Hero. No workers, no problem, just pump marines purely off of mules, Hero made one minor mistake in building a nexus, which he canceled anyway but couldn't build zealots because of warpgate cooldown. Puma let a DT kill all his workers and multiple mules, a different DT kill 2-3 tanks and a bunch of marines, had his first push crushed, and he still won a few minutes later with basically pure marines, a tank, a raven and a couple other random units, even though Hero lost no workers in the first push, and took out multiple buildings before the first push even occured).

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DirtyEagles

its charmander

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Bollard

@baldgye said:

@SamDrugbringer said:

@Thule said:

No Caption Provided

yeah I'd go with a seigh type unit... but who knows!! I can't wait for the MP beta of this !! :D

Zerg siege tank type unit would be amazing!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.