Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Enlighten Me.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bicycleham

Alright, so, I recently decided to tell myself that I was going to get Starcraft II. But, I'm still slightly skeptical. So, can someone answer some questions? 
    1. What exactly is the explanation of the different colors of the different races? In example the Red Terran and The Blue Terran in the newest trailer. 
    2. Would this be a good game to jump into just for the singleplayer if I've never been able play the original without cheating? 
    3. What the hell happened in Starcraft 1? 

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaiz
    @Xolare said:
    " Alright, so, I recently decided to tell myself that I was going to get Starcraft II. But, I'm still slightly skeptical. So, can someone answer some questions? 1. What exactly is the explanation of the different colors of the different races? In example the Red Terran and The Blue Terran in the newest trailer. 2. Would this be a good game to jump into just for the singleplayer if I've never been able play the original without cheating? 3. What the hell happened in Starcraft 1?  "
    1. Generally speaking, different colors are explained by different factions, but it all really seems to be a plot justification for why multiple colors exist in multiplayer.

2&3. I would highly recommend playing the original StarCraft and Broodwar if you haven't already. Even if you have to cheat the entire time just to get a grasp on the story so far.
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By wchigo

1) Think of it almost in Star Wars terms I suppose. Ones kind of the Empire, and the other side is the Rebellion. That's kind of dumbing it down though, you should really play through the first game to get the whole story.
    2) I'm sure they'll probably put cheats in for the single player. Traditionally they've done it for all their RTS games if memory serves.
    3) Hmm... this part could take a whole thread to go through. Perhaps take a gander over at wikipedia or something?

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By bicycleham
    @wchigo said:
    " 3) Hmm... this part could take a whole thread to go through. Perhaps take a gander over at wikipedia or something? "
    I wasn't exactly thinking of a complete plot synopsis just a few lines of text to give a summary. But I'll take a gander at wikipedia just for kicks.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehexeditor

1. In multiplayer, it is to distinguish one player from another if they choose the same race out of the three.  In singleplayer, the factions of a race have different colors associated with them.
    2. Sure, the single player is not bad, though it's 12 years old and doesn't hold up as well as it used to. 
    3. terrans are just the moniker for the  humans that lived out in space after some event where a bunch of em went into cryogenic sleep. the confederacy rules the korpulu sector or something, they're the 'bad guys'- jim raynor, marshall of some planet called mar sara and perhaps the only truly 'good' guy in sc1/bw, ends up imprisoned by the confederacy for destroying a command center that was infested by zerg (stupid confederates got it all wrong!). Supposed 'rebel' leader arcturus mengsk breaks you out and raynor works with him to dismantle the confederation. Along the way raynor meets sarah kerrigan, a ghost (special ops terran soldier), who is indebted to mengsk for saving her life. Mengsk turns out to be a cold,evilish bastard when he decides to use a 'psi emitter' (macguffin) to draw zerg, the race of swarming evil alien broods ruled by the 'overmind' and its 'cerebrates'  to the confederacy. Kerrigan/raynor are like "wtf" but go along with it. Later some battle happens at new gettysburg where mengsk is like 'yo protect the zerg that we're gonna use to wipe out the confederacy from the protoss (intelligent psychic alien race who have a penchant for hunting down zerg). Zerg overrun the base at the end and kerrigan gets screwed over by mengsk "we're gonna gtfo and leave you here" she doesn't get torn apart by the zerg, though. Jimmy's all like "Nooo. mengsk you are a motherfucker"  and mengsk is like "pfffft fuck you."
    in ep 2 (zerg campaign), the overmind has a 'child/daughter/prodigy' that is inside a cocoon that you have to protect from the various forces out there to destroy it (leftover confederate forces, mengsk's 'dominion', protoss). It hatches and bam- it's a reborn kerrigan who is wholly (not really as is found out later)subservient to the swarm. Stuff happens, kerrigan gets more powerful, protoss 'templar' (psionically focused warriors i believe)named tassadar spars with her after the protoss somehow are able to destroy a cerebrate named zasz 'permanently' (i guess if they die they can be 'reincarnated' by the overmind). zasz's brood goes retarded without its leader and attacks the zerg. zerg vs zerg happens and zasz's brood is wiped out. The zerg find the protoss homeworld called 'Aiur' and the overmind tells kerrigan "hey yeah. we and the protoss were made by this ancient, faded race called the xel'naga.. we're gonna add the protoss into our swarm." invasion of aiur happens- uh oh.
    in ep 3 (protoss campaign)- DO YOU REALLY WANT ME TO TELL YOU WHAT THE FUUUUUCK HAPPENED IN STARCRAFT 1?! READ A FUCKING WIKI OR PLAY THE GODDAMN GAME

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

Pro-tip to #1 - Don't pick Pink Terrans if I'm in the game, it's MINE!  >.< 

2.  Watch the new videos on the Dominion site on the new Starcraft 2 site, just go to Battle.net and it should be there somewhere. 
    3.  See 2.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CowMuffins
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Pro-tip to #1 - Don't pick Pink Terrans if I'm in the game, it's MINE!  >.<  2.  Watch the new videos on the Dominion site on the new Starcraft 2 site, just go to Battle.net and it should be there somewhere. 3.  See 2. "
    You can have two people playing Terran at once...
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @CowMuffins said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " Pro-tip to #1 - Don't pick Pink Terrans if I'm in the game, it's MINE!  >.<  2.  Watch the new videos on the Dominion site on the new Starcraft 2 site, just go to Battle.net and it should be there somewhere. 3.  See 2. "
    You can have two people playing Terran at once... "
    I know...I'm implying he shouldn't steal my colour.  For some reason Pink Marines are really easy for me to see and focus on, for the other two races I don't care what colour it is.  >.>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.