Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Extended Series in a Double Elimination Tournament?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

Going by gut, I don't like it. I haven't done the math on it, though, so I can't say anything definitively.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer
    What Is Extended Series (stolen from TL.net)
    Extended series is a tournament rule that works as follows:  As with any other double elimination tournament, when two players play each other in the winners bracket and player A loses and player B wins, then player A is put into the losers bracket.  If player B loses to another player in the winners bracket and gets moved down into the losers bracket to face player A again, the extended series rule comes in to play.  The extended series rule carries their set from the winners bracket into the loser bracket.  For example, If player B won a BO3 2-0 in the winners bracket, their match in the losers bracket becomes a BO7 with player B starting with a 2-0 advantage against player A.  Player A would have to win 4-1 in order to advance while player B would only have to win 2-3.
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Rayeth

I listened to a ton of ranting on both sides in the most recent State of the Game podcast about this.  

Both sides have decent arguments, but to me it "feels" wrong.  I can't quantify my statement with maths or anything, but the system feels wrong.  I don't like that one player gets an advantage just because he happened to stay in the winners bracket a bit longer.  Both players are meeting in the current match.  The current match is what should be played, not some sort of extended grudge match across a whole tournament.

Maybe the system will make more sense in a team league or a multi-tournament rankings sense, but as we have set to see that I can't comment.

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Entus

I don't really like it. It just gives a someone a disadvantage only if they face a specific person, where as for someone else who also crawled out of the losers brackets but never faced that specific person, they aren't being punished.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

Mmm, no one with a Yes vote with any counter arguments?

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By raiz265

the only thing that really bugs me about that rule is that it can (afaik) fuck up the grand finals if the player from the winners bracket kicked his opponent to the losers bracket in a 2:1 match earlier in the tournament... 

or something like that 

I'd prefer regular double elim i guess

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By adoggz

its fine. everyone just wants every tournament to be exactly the same in every way because they don't like change.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @adoggz said:

" its fine. everyone just wants every tournament to be exactly the same in every way because they don't like change. "

The primary argument against this, made by many people including @Rayeth and @Entus in this very thread, is that the extended series handicaps certain players based on arbitrary luck of bracket placement.  That sounds like more than a simple dislike of change and a lot more substantive than what you've had to say so far.

Edit: Sorry messed up my analogy

It's like going to the people protesting the removal of sexual orientation from the UN resolution condemning extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary execution and saying, "herp derp you guys don't like change."
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thule

I voted no. It's a terrible rule and it should be removed. Each Match should be a seperate event, and past games should not affect the current match-up. 
    It's also just plain unfair, you can't just "give" a player to losses to start with and then tell them they'll need to win alot more than their opponent to win.

Also, Halo.

I rest my case your honor.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Thule: Now that I think of it, extended series when applied to Halo still doesn't really "protect" the better team.  If it did, then they would just tally up total flag captures for each team or whatever then declare the team with more captures a winner.  In a CTF 5Flag event you could easily have team B beat team A 2-0 with 5-0 scores in each game, then proceed to lose again later in the extended series 1-4 with another 5-0 win, then 4 4-5 losses.  In this scenario team B captured the flag 31 times whereas team A only captured the flag 20 times, yet team A still wins.

Ok that's too much math but really, extended series is dumb.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chokobo

Yes.  Like it.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By audiosnag

I'm sorta up in the air...I was actually thinking about posting this very thread after listening to the latest SofG.
    If i had to choose though I'd go with Dont Like.
    I think it was inControl who made a point that made sense with me. If you face the same person you beat who worked his way up in the losers bracket, you have an advantage, but if you face someone from the losers bracket who you haven't faced before, you don't get that advantage.
    That doesn't make any sense to me. 
    If you're gonna do it that way, the person coming up from the losers bracket should take their losses into whatever series they go into no matter who they play for it to be fair, but that's an even dumber idea.  Plus i think if a person's clawed their way up from the bottom, they shouldn't be punished. 
    So yeah, I'm against.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ekajarmstro

I can see the argument on both sides... but I think I have to go with extended series. 

If you are the better player but happen to get cheesed out or play not up to your skill in the winner's bracket then you can still easily come back from the 0-2 deficit and it doesn't affect you.
     If you are the worse player and lose in the winner's bracket then you would have likely lost in the loser's bracket anyways, even without the disadvantage. Sure it's not ideal, but it likely doesn't change the tournament outcome.

The reason why you should have extended series is for this scenario:
    You win 2-0 in winner's bracket. Opponent beats you 2-1 in loser's bracket. You have won three games against him, he has won two against you, but he gets to move on and you don't.

As you can see, having extended series usually doesn't change the outcome of the tournament and it allows the better players a chance to redeem themselves by playing more games, and it prevents players who you have beat more than you lost to (presumably you are better than them) from eliminating you.

Either way, ideally they should just play swiss tournaments :P

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Thule

I really don't understand why people like the extended series nonsense. In the end, it's a rule that protects someone who plays well in the beginning of the tournament for no other reason than claiming that people who do well there are "the better player".

All matches should be isolated events. You shouldn't be penalized simply because someone beat you in the winner's bracket. Starcraft is supposed to be an E-sport right? Name me one other sport where you have something similar occuring?
    Ever saw a soccer match where teams have to play down 1-0 or 2-0 from the start against another team simply, because they lost one game to that team in the group phase? That's right, you don't because it's unfair. 

Each match should be an isolated event and whoever wins, wins. It's not supposed to be about who's the "better player", it's supposed to be about who wins that match.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ekajarmstro
    @Thule: That's all well and good, but explain how its fair if someone who you beat more than you lost to gets to move on and you don't?

And also one of the largest complaints about Starcraft 2's balance is the map pool, and by extending the series you get to see a wider variety of maps so that in theory the map racial advantages average out.

EDIT: And about your point on soccer and other "real" sports, I'm pretty sure soccer doesn't have map pools, doesn't usually have best of 3's, and doesn't usually have double elimination. Try to name a single major sport that uses double elimination -- as far as I know (I could be totally wrong) almost all of them use round robin style play to determine a single elimination championship bracket.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm torn but I think I'm leaning towards No. 

However what I do think is that the advantage should NEVER come into effect in the finals or maybe even final final 4.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thule
    @EkajArmstro said:

That's all well and good, but explain how its fair if someone who you beat more than you lost to gets to move on and you don't?

It's fair because that person beat you in an isolated match/bo3/whatever. You can never make a match completely fair, but adding points to a player's score based off off previous performances, is definitely unfair.
    Also where do you draw the line for this? Should players you won against last tournament be penalized against you in the next one, considering you technically "won more games".
    And also one of the largest complaints about Starcraft 2's balance is the map pool, and by extending the series you get to see a wider variety of maps so that in theory the map racial advantages average out. 
    I don't think that map balance should be brought into this considering most maps currently range from good-for-Terran to decent-for-Terran.

EDIT: And about your point on soccer and other "real" sports, I'm pretty sure soccer doesn't have map pools, doesn't usually have best of 3's, and doesn't usually have double elimination. Try to name a single major sport that uses double elimination -- as far as I know (I could be totally wrong) almost all of them use round robin style play to determine a single elimination championship bracket. "

"The best-known athletic event that employs a double-elimination format is the NCAA baseball tournament, including the College World Series, where a team is not eliminated until it loses twice in each of the four rounds (regional, super regional, College World Series, and CWS championship, with the super regional and CWS championship series featuring two teams in a best 2-of-3 format). It is also extensively used in computer gaming tournaments (most famously by the Cyberathlete Professional League) and table football tournaments. Double-elimination brackets are also popular in amateur wrestling of all levels, surfing and kiteboarding freestyle competitions, as well as Curling bonspiels (where triple-elimination is also used) and certain Olympic sports, such as judo. Since 2009, the World Baseball Classic has used a double-elimination format for the first and second rounds of the tournament. The Little League World Series also switched from round-robin to double-elimination formats for each of its pools starting in 2010 in an effort to eliminate meaningless games."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament

You can't really say that it's not a legitimate argument because soccer doesn't use maps or bo3's. Soccer is a game that last 90 minutes or more, so to play a best-of-3 would be rather ridiculous. Also a soccer field has to adhere to a strict number of rules and cannot deviate from the norm by those very rules, so comparing them to a map pool is unfair.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ekajarmstro
    @Thule: You are right -- the question is where you draw the line. You and people like iNcontroL draw the line at one best of three, I draw the line at one tournament. MLG has also specifically stated that they draw the line at one tournament. That is why they use extended series.

More sports than I thought use double elimination, but I still believe that double elimination is far from the norm in most sporting events. As such, I don't think it's fair to say extended series is bad just because no one else uses it as double eliminations aren't that common in the first place so most tournaments probably have never thought about extended series before.

Comparing it to not having a map pool is a little unfair I'll agree, but I was just pointing out how different E-Sports and real sports are in some ways.  However, most of the real sports with double elimination (like curling) don't have best of three, and that makes a pretty large difference when you are talking about extended series.  They wouldn't think to extend a series of one.

I'm trying to be objective here, because I don't think there is a situation where extended series would have ever actually benefited me. However, in the last US tournament I went 1-1 with Truman and he got eliminated but I didn't. It kind of makes me feel like it was a tie and I was decided to win by coin flip (dreamhack reference lol).
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Thule
    @EkajArmstro said:
    " @Thule: You are right -- the question is where you draw the line. You and people like iNcontroL draw the line at one best of three, I draw the line at one tournament. MLG has also specifically stated that they draw the line at one tournament. That is why they use extended series.  More sports than I thought use double elimination, but I still believe that double elimination is far from the norm in most sporting events. As such, I don't think it's fair to say extended series is bad just because no one else uses it as double eliminations aren't that common in the first place so most tournaments probably have never thought about extended series before.  Comparing it to not having a map pool is a little unfair I'll agree, but I was just pointing out how different E-Sports and real sports are in some ways.  However, most of the real sports with double elimination (like curling) don't have best of three, and that makes a pretty large difference when you are talking about extended series.  They wouldn't think to extend a series of one.  I'm trying to be objective here, because I don't think there is a situation where extended series would have ever actually benefited me. However, in the last US tournament I went 1-1 with Truman and he got eliminated but I didn't. It kind of makes me feel like it was a tie and I was decided to win by coin flip (dreamhack reference lol). "
    Yeah, I don't think we'll get this settled with debate. Some people feel more comfortable with one or the other. Even the SotG guys can't agree on it.  

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and let everyone decide what they prefer themselves. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@EkajArmstro said:
      The reason why you should have extended series is for this scenario: You win 2-0 in winner's bracket. Opponent beats you 2-1 in loser's bracket. You have won three games against him, he has won two against you, but he gets to move on and you don't.   As you can see, having extended series usually doesn't change the outcome of the tournament and it allows the better players a chance to redeem themselves by playing more games, and it prevents players who you have beat more than you lost to (presumably you are better than them) from eliminating you.   

The bold is what I disagree with the most. These players who are playing are the best starcraft 2 players in the world. Technically speaking a lot the "lesser" players can take games off some of the better ones. ( IE LiquidNazgul v EG.Idra in Dallas). Why should the "better" ones have an advantage later on in the the tournament because then won earlier in the tournament? Losses earlier in the tournament in mind should mean less then ones later on. 

Really, though, like they talked about in the podcast, it is how you view the tournament. I can see what they say about "your total tournament performance" and how extended series helps that view. I just think it is a really stupid view.  I see every match as a separate event and nothing that happens in the past shouldn't affect that match. I much prefer GSL Style tournament, and I think that style is the best way to make a tournament.
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By leburgan

It depends what you consider a single event, the tourney, or each individual best of 3. In MLG's case they consider the tourney an event, therefore its the extended best of 7 series.

Its personal philosophy really.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By commandercup

It seems like a simple argument for no which was covered in the podcast. It isn't fair and doesn't really make sense (you can justify it, but that still doesn't make it sit well).

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chokobo

Listened to the SotG that this was discussed on earlier today.  So aggravating after a while.

Mainly because the only real evidence inControl gave was, "Don't use it cos that's not the way things have always been done."

Unfortunately, the retort was really not much more than, "Well, this is how MLG works.  If you don't like it, tough shit."

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Chokobo: I'd listen again, to both sides.  I think you might be missing something.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chokobo
    @StarvingGamer: I was working while listening so if I missed anything that would be why, but the arguments I said were one of the few points that made sense.  I heard both sides ask specific questions and then the other side completely ignore or misunderstand the question entirely and then move on in a few seperate instances.   Also, in both of their "final statements" their arguments basically boiled down to what I said in my previous post.  MLG guy said, "this is how all of MLG works.  We may tweak it, but it likely won't be going anywhere.  Also, Its good because MLG is the most successful E-Sports org in North America."  While inControl basically said, "It shouldn't be done because every organization that isn't MLG does it differently, so you should conform."

I can understand why plenty of people dislike it, and I understand why MLG uses it.  I don't think that the debate did either side any favors though.  Too many hyperbole-laden analogies and cross talk.

On a semantics note, I heard the phrase "arbitrary punishment" bandied about even though that isn't the circumstance in the slightest.  The punishment isn't "arbitrary," but based on a players previous actions, thus not at all arbitrary.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Chokobo Players that lose their match are punished by being placed into the losers bracket. This is a direct result of a player's actions. Players that experience the extended series, are further punished while other players in the losers bracket are not. This discrepancy of punishments is not the result of the player's actions, but rather the random progression that the brackets take based on every OTHER player's performance. In this sense the extended series seems arbitrary to those on the receiving end of it.

On the other side is the argument that extended series protects the better player in a given tournament. If a player exits a tournament with a 3-2 record against another player, the player with 3 wins seems like the one with a better performance. However if it was a 2-0 win in winners then a 1-2 loss in losers, the player with more wins is still somehow the one eliminated. This situation is avoided by the extended series, giving the winner of the previous series credit for his "better" performance over the duration of the tournament.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.