Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Getting from opening to mid game

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pigmartyr

I'm fairly new to SC2, but have picked up pretty well and after losing all placement matches ended up in the bronze league. Shocker!  So now I'm stuck trying to bob my head above 500 and usually end up going on runs of 4-5 wins followed by a few losses to kill all of my gained points. I currently sit 3 games behind 500. I've got two friends playing one diamond and one gold and both are playing with me to give advice, watching builds and so on. I've also been watching alot of replays, day[9] and Husky to gather alot of info when i can't play (at work) and to try and absorb as much knowledge about the game as I can. So I feel I'm putting in the time and effort on trying to improve and there lies the problem.

Since I've been trying to put all of this info into practice I've been losing more due to early game all ins, and shenanigans. Now Day[9] does alot of talk about the mid game, and always plan. So if I wanna go 3 gate, colossus I dont need to start building starports. if i'm early expanding its probably a good idea to drop a forge/bunker/spine crawler to defend while i'm initially weak. You see where I'm going. Problem is I've usually been having to resort to cheap tactics on the spur of the moment to defend and turn the games around. 

Example:  Last game I played a zerg 10 pooled to mass zerglings while I was going for my expansion and had minimal defenses. I held of the charge losing two zealots and cleaning up with probes. I ended up getting my 4 gates out and just having enough resources to warp in stalkers/zealots as   zerglings are entering my base. I would retain maybe 1-2 units after each push as the zergling count increased each push until i finally had 5-6 units after one push and able to warp in another 5/6 (i had 6 gates at this point) and then start pushing myself. With 6 gates and a working expo he just couldnt overcome with zerglings and had wasted enough money continually pushing and teching hydras instead of say banelings/muta to combat the mass ground force.

Now you might read this and say. Cmon bronze leaguer. Thats a win. Shut up and carry on. My problem is this is indicative of alot of my games. I get rushed and end up scrapping it out with opening units and am never able to get to any semblance of a mid/end game. Now about every 5th game i get to an mid/end scenario and get trounced for not having faced alot of mid/end units, and then not being able to have a decent direction to go in. 

Do I continue to try and win on opening builds until i get to games where its required i have a mid/end or do I take my lumps knowing that I will be better in the end playing each game like there will be a conclusion beyond intro units?

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tophar01

Yes. 

People get 6 pooled in the GSL man, there isn't always gonna be a mid to late game. Cheese and early all ins get a little more sparse as you get into higher leagues (I think). 

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Turambar

Finding a friend to play with you where you both agree to go for a 20 minute long game would also help with your situation.  Training partners are generally pretty good to high in improving your play.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pigmartyr
    @Tophar01:  Oh i see there too.
    EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By EnchantedEcho

I have a few pointers that may help you out: 

-  Stop using 'builds', hopefully by now you know the counters to various units and you should be constantly scouting your opponent's base with a probe or observer to see what type of units he is building and then proceed to build units that will counter his army. 

- For your trouble that you have getting an army with more mid/late units. You shouldn't be trying to build things like Carriers or Colossus's just because they are the final tier of units. For example, if your opponent is building Hellions, you should build Stalkers. 

Hope this helps you.  

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Cramsy
    @pigmartyr said:

ExampleLast game I played a zerg 10 pooled to mass zerglings while I was going for my expansion and had minimal defenses. I held of the charge losing two zealots and cleaning up with probes. I ended up getting my 4 gates out and just having enough resources to warp in stalkers/zealots as   zerglings are entering my base. I would retain maybe 1-2 units after each push as the zergling count increased each push until i finally had 5-6 units after one push and able to warp in another 5/6 (i had 6 gates at this point) and then start pushing myself. With 6 gates and a working expo he just couldnt overcome with zerglings and had wasted enough money continually pushing and teching hydras instead of say banelings/muta to combat the mass ground force.  Now you might read this and say. Cmon bronze leaguer. Thats a win. Shut up and carry on. My problem is this is indicative of alot of my games. I get rushed and end up scrapping it out with opening units and am never able to get to any semblance of a mid/end game. Now about every 5th game i get to an mid/end scenario and get trounced for not having faced alot of mid/end units, and then not being able to have a decent direction to go in.    Do I continue to try and win on opening builds until i get to games where its required i have a mid/end or do I take my lumps knowing that I will be better in the end playing each game like there will be a conclusion beyond intro units? "
    Scout that dawg. If you see a zerg one basing, it either means they are terrible or there are shenanigans afoot.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By meteora

Scouting is key. While builds are great for a solid foundation for the game, you need to become more reactionary to counter whatever the other player is doing. If he is one basing then that means he is probably going to do some early push to try to win or something. If he fast expands that means he'll be weak early on but will have a stronger economy mid-game; you can abuse his FE by killing it off or harassing.

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingofpeanuts

Watch Day9,he will help you.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Meteora said:
    " Scouting is key. 
    what she said. Usually for the first 15 min of the game one expo is enough, if you can secure it, then just keep scouting, and if you see its not urgent to get units out, then tech abit. But generally i would say every army deserves some tier 1 units somewhere, just don't go above like 100 population with them, with the time it takes to go that high you could have probably teched. Marines are OP always useful and benefit from upgrades lots more than other units when you count their cost efficiency, zerglings are sometimes obsolete depending on the enemy's army but they can always just rush in and attack workers when the battle starts somewhere else on the map. And zealots, well in my book once you get charge they become tier 2 along with stalkers and blink. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.