Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

"Grand Master League" announced by David Kim

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sixghost

source:: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=162815 

It will be revealed tomorrow in BlizzCon, that there will be a new "Grand Master League", a step above the Diamond League. It's going to be the league for the pros, where only top 2% of Diamond League, or top 100 overall, or something like that will be playing at.

I'm not exactly sure what this is going to mean for the 99.9% of people who won't be in GM league. I thought i remembered them talking about this thing, then referred to as "pro-league", and saying that the replays of these players playing against each other would be available to watching somewhere, which might be pretty cool. Although, if you are familiar with a few good replay sites, it's sort of a redundant feature. I'm pretty bummed out about the Top 100 players thing, as I'm usually floating around #150-200 on the NA server, so hopefully it'll end up being the top 200. If you have some time, you should read the rest of the interview, it's actually pretty interesting.
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By wunder_
    @sixghost:  Yeah, I'm super excited for this and I'm wondering if this will become invite-only or whether it'll be straight off the ladder. Part of me wishes it'd be invite-only so players who are constantly at tournaments or practicing off-ladder can still be recognized even though they might be in the top200 or something. Can't wait for this though!
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By raiz265

now i have a new goal, lol.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sixghost
    @Wunder_ said:
    " @sixghost:  Yeah, I'm super excited for this and I'm wondering if this will become invite-only or whether it'll be straight off the ladder. Part of me wishes it'd be invite-only so players who are constantly at tournaments or practicing off-ladder can still be recognized even though they might be in the top200 or something. Can't wait for this though! "
    Invite only would work for the best 10-20 players, but once it got down to the 90th or 100th best player, it's really just a toss up. I'm more interested in whether or not it will be top 100 based on ladder rating or the hidden matchmaking rank. The good news though, is that anyone you'd really care about being in this league would be able to get in the top 100 with a few days of laddering.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By endless_void

Sounds pretty awesome. I'm a damn gold leaguer atm though >_>

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audiosnag

This is rad. No way I'm ever gonne come close to it but still I like this idea.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By leburgan

He also said in the interview that they balanced around 2v2 and silver level play.....and they changed the void ray because of one replay..... this makes me sad.....

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ryanwho

An accolade that both impresses and depresses.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By raiz265

I think at Blizzcon they said something about Masters League will consist of the best 2 (or 5)% of the repective region and Grand Master League will be the Top 200. 

I'm seriously thinking about nerding my way into the Master League if it's actually 5%....

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Feanor

I could see a lot of pros throw matches so their replays don't get released. Anyways I think this is a great idea. Hopefully it will shut up a lot of Diamond players who think they are pro gamers.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raiz265
    @Feanor said:
    " I could see a lot of pros throw matches so their replays don't get released. Anyways I think this is a great idea. Hopefully it will shut up a lot of Diamond players who think they are pro gamers. "
    Yeah it's pretty annoying, people tend to value the leagues and division ranks far too high... Every second balance goes like "I think XY is too strong because blabla AND I'M FUCKING DIAMOND SO I KNOW SHIT OK?!"
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sixghost
    @Feanor said:
    " I could see a lot of pros throw matches so their replays don't get released. Anyways I think this is a great idea. Hopefully it will shut up a lot of Diamond players who think they are pro gamers. "
    Yeah, I could easily see this happening if they still need to use ladder to practice. Especially considering how easily they could tank their rating. 30-60 minutes of immediately leaving the game could probably drop someone's rating by 100+.
    Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Entus
    @sixghost said:
    " @Feanor said:
    Yeah, I could easily see this happening if they still need to use ladder to practice. Especially considering how easily they could tank their rating. 30-60 minutes of immediately leaving the game could probably drop someone's rating by 100+. "
    I don't think its that much of an issue. If someone was really serious about competing in tournaments, they could just practice in customs with teammates, which is what a lot of teams already do, or play on ladder with a smurf account.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sixghost
    @Entus said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Feanor said:
    Yeah, I could easily see this happening if they still need to use ladder to practice. Especially considering how easily they could tank their rating. 30-60 minutes of immediately leaving the game could probably drop someone's rating by 100+. "
    I don't think its that much of an issue. If someone was really serious about competing in tournaments, they could just practice in customs with teammates, which is what a lot of teams already do, or play on ladder with a smurf account. "
    Listening to the SotG podcasts from MLG, the played on the show admitted that they use the ladder to practice quite often.
    Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Entus
    @sixghost said:
    " @Entus said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Feanor said:
    I don't think its that much of an issue. If someone was really serious about competing in tournaments, they could just practice in customs with teammates, which is what a lot of teams already do, or play on ladder with a smurf account. "
    Listening to the SotG podcasts from MLG, the played on the show admitted that they use the ladder to practice quite often. "
    I thought most competitive players just use ladder to try out a lot of untested builds. And when they got that down, they would play seriously against teammates and refine the build further.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By keyhunter

I don't much care about a top 100 league obviously no one here is ever going to get that good. I just hope they add another league for us regular jacksoffs. Since I'm totally in diamond in 3/4 of my gametypes. And if I don't have another league to work towards I'll probably just quit playing.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sixghost
    @keyhunter said:
    " I don't much care about a top 100 league obviously no one here is ever going to get that good. I just hope they add another league for us regular jacksoffs. Since I'm totally in diamond in 3/4 of my gametypes. And if I don't have another league to work towards I'll probably just quit playing. "
    Master league will probably be easier to get in than you think. I think I've heard it will be anywhere from top 2% to top 5%. Top 5% of the NA server is probably something like 1600-1700 points.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By keyhunter
    @sixghost said:

" @keyhunter said:

" I don't much care about a top 100 league obviously no one here is ever going to get that good. I just hope they add another league for us regular jacksoffs. Since I'm totally in diamond in 3/4 of my gametypes. And if I don't have another league to work towards I'll probably just quit playing. "
    Master league will probably be easier to get in than you think. I think I've heard it will be anywhere from top 2% to top 5%. Top 5% of the NA server is probably something like 1600-1700 points. "
    That sounds better. 5% of a million is a lot (Assuming SC 2 even sold that many copies.)
    And I was a top 10 player in Command and Conquer Renegade multiplayer..So this seems attainable.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sixghost
    @keyhunter said:
    " @sixghost said:

" @keyhunter said:

Master league will probably be easier to get in than you think. I think I've heard it will be anywhere from top 2% to top 5%. Top 5% of the NA server is probably something like 1600-1700 points. "
    That sounds better. 5% of a million is a lot (Assuming SC 2 even sold that many copies.) And I was a top 10 player in Command and Conquer Renegade multiplayer..So this seems attainable. "
    5% of diamond league, not all of B.net. So techincally it's 2-5% of 7.6%(i think) of about 1,000,000.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.