Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

I suck at DOTA

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Hannibal

I tried that version of DOTA they have now. I couldn't seem to kill anyone, and I couldn't figure out how to do the "combined items" thing. Also I died a lot. Does anyone have any tips on how to play it?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pazy

I could be wrong but I think some of the standalone DOTA games include tutorials, check out League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By raiz265
    @Hannibal said:
    " I tried that version of DOTA they have now. I couldn't seem to kill anyone, and I couldn't figure out how to do the "combined items" thing. Also I died a lot. Does anyone have any tips on how to play it? "
    you usually buy the items you need and then buy the recipe
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

So did they even add a tutorial for their own game?  Are they just expecting that everyone already know how the mechanics work?  Some of us know it already, but it is really stupid of them to not even have an option to just go through it with you before you begin at the very least.

Just play the tutorial of League of Legends, and get an idea of how this kind of game generally works.  Then in that new version of DOTA, just try to take your time reading the recipes and figuring out which will benefit your selected hero the most.  Just experiment for now and ignore any rude people noticing that you are taking said time (there will always be one that will complain).

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hannibal

I'm actually talking about the one in Starcraft II. There wasn't a tutorial that I saw, but I also didn't spend much time in the base thing.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By wunder_

Are you sure you played DOTA or Storm of the imperial Sanctum?

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hannibal
    @Wunder_: I played SotIS, but I was under the impression that it was a DOTA clone?
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By wunder_
    @Hannibal: SOTiS is a DoTA clone, but it's not the 'official' one they're releasing. Similar to DOTA and DOTA All-Stars, it's a fan-made mod. As such, it takes a very long time for it to be refined, especially since there is no Hero/Item system, it's actually remarkable how smooth it is already.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane

SotIS is actually a bit different from DotA, but i guess it's similar enough. The item combinations and secret shops and stuff are kinda harder to understand. 
    I've only played it twice, so i couldn't explain it too well to you, and even if i knew it better i'd have a hard time explaining. You'd probably do better learning from one of the other clones first, even if they are slightly different.
    dotagiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By dotagiant

If you are new to the Dota genre, I suggest you keep playing.

Dota games have a high learning curve.
    Read guides and watch replays.

Once you thing you're ready to go hardcore, you can try out the competitive stand-alone Dota game called Heroes of Newerth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.