Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Is this game enjoyable for amateurs?

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JBird

I really like the look of the game and a great RTs is somthing that i could enjoy for many hours. But the online sounds like its virtually impossible to get into, and if so, do well. People say COD is hard for noobs online, but starcraft 2.....impossible! Is it possible to enjoy this game purely playing bots and stuff?! What do you think?! 

Is the "do the wrong thing in the first 30secs and you die" thing true!?
    wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By wicked_wumpus

I heard that the online system does a pretty good job at matching you up with similarly skilled players so it maybe not be a complete blowout every time.  I am a little scared of this game since I am more of a casual rts player and don't have these games down to a science like the better players do.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jelekeloy

You'll at least enjoy the campaign.  Based on the GB live stream last night, it seems like it starts pretty slow.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tunaburn

If you go play the normal modes onilne there is a good chance you will get owned quick if youre not pretty good. A lot of the people on have been playing the first one for a LONG time now and have it down.  
    But, there are a lot of custom maps and game types like tower defense and such. Those will keep you occupied for a while.
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JBird: No, unless you do absolutely nothing for 30 secs, most likely you'll be paired up with a bunch of noobs as well after you go through the initial phase. The initial phase is just 5 games that doesn't count on your record, but based on how you do in it, will determine what league you are in. Most likely, you will lose the 5 games (but don't just give up immediately use those 5 games as a learning experience) and then you will be set up in a league with a bunch of other noobs such as yourself.  

The whole you could lose the game in 30 seconds is true for higher play analogous to losing a game of chess in 5 turns if you don't know whats happening. 
    Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ComradeKritstov

Just know up front you are going to lose. Probably not every game, but you'll need to be able to look at a loss not as a failure but as a learning experience, look at what you did wrong and correct it next time.  But if you can accept that you will lose some times I think you can have a fun time with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e5bbc8d86f
    deactivated-5c2e5bbc8d86f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never even touched sc1 and my last rts experience was in 2000 playing c&c red alert. 

And in SC2 i´m doing pretty good. I won 3 out of 5 games( not being vain, just surprised). Just google for some SC2 Tutorials and start slow.  

http://starcraft2strategies.org/  

Right know i´m  figuring out the best Build Order for my Gamestyle. Terran are quite easy for beginners i would say.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

I think anyone can be really good at Starcraft, its just that in order to do that it takes a ton of work, commitment and suffering.  Same with any RTS really.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JBird

Cheers for the comments fellas. i might just pick it up for my birthday. If i can convince the guys i'm living with next term to all buy a copy then we'll have fun playing lan at any rate!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e5bbc8d86f
    deactivated-5c2e5bbc8d86f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JBird:  You could try the Trial. I have a spare Key lying next to me. Send me a PM if you are interested.
    Dubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dubi
    @aXone: If he aint having it, may I have?
    Im on the fence for this game, and will only buy it if my friend buys it and even if he does, hell probably quit early so i would like to test it out to see if it is enjoyable without the need of a local friend.
    satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By satansmagichat

As far as the campaign, is it more user friendly than the first? I could never even beat the Terran campaign in SC1, so is there more room to advance without getting super frustrated? And I hear they have unlock trees for singleplayer, how do those work? I'm getting awfully aggravated at no early reviews being allowed, and I'm fed up with $60 gambles.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Detrian

The level of entrance needed for multiplayer is sky high outside practice matches while the campaign is incredibly generic both in story and for the genre (by genre I mean rts games that came out a decade ago).

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Semition
    @satansmagichat said:
    " As far as the campaign, is it more user friendly than the first? I could never even beat the Terran campaign in SC1, so is there more room to advance without getting super frustrated? And I hear they have unlock trees for singleplayer, how do those work? I'm getting awfully aggravated at no early reviews being allowed, and I'm fed up with $60 gambles. "
    There's an easy setting and you can switch difficulties at the start of each mission. I'm on hard mode right now and it doesn't feel too unmanageable. I would imagine the easy setting would be extremely lenient for beginners.
    JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JBird
    @Dubi:
    Sorry, i am very interested!
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By ectoplasma

I'm a couple of hours in. Trust me the game is ultra polished, the campaign is great, the achievements are great (finally good gameplay based achievements), the battle net implementation is great, there is lots of tutorial stuff if you're new and then there are challenge modes and stuff that I haven't checked out yet. I don't know if you're only interesting in playing it online but the game as a single player experience is ultra polished, too. This will get 90s all over the board.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @aXone said:
     Terran are quite easy for beginners i would say. "
    Yup. In my experience Terran always seemed like it made the most sense when figuring out which tactics worked and which ones didn't. If you do start playing, Terran would be a great way to start learning the ins and outs of this game. Eventually you can move on to the more complex races (IMO) once you have a better understanding on how the game works. 

This is pretty much one of my favorite aspects of this game. Even though you can get really good at it (I never did) you can always continue to learn something new after every match. Just keep playing and losing, because you will lose a lot, and eventually you will be able to scope out situations and know how to act accordingly.
    ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZeroRegistry

I'm not the greatest at the multiplayer aspect of the game, but I do find it thoroughly enjoyable, and the campaign looks very interesting.  So, I'd say it was worth a look.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.