Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Map pool for MLG Dallas announced

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By frankxiv
    http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/mlg/mlg-starcraft-2-map-pool/   

MLG Metalopolis*
    MLG Scrap Station
    MLG Shakuras Plateau*
    MLG Shattered Temple*
    MLG Xel'Naga Caverns*
    MLG ICCup Testbug*
    MLG GSL Crossfire SE

*A building blocker has been added to the ramps of each of the starred maps, at each ramp closest to the main's natural expansion. This blocker prevents the ramp from being blocked by the current standard amount of buildings (e.g., three pylons, two bunkers, etc.). Examples: MetalopolisShakuras PlateauTestbugXel'Naga Caverns.

Starting spawns on Metalopolis and Shattered Temple have been modified to prevent close ground spawns.

Starting spawns on Shakuras Plateau have been modified to ensure cross-map spawns only.

To access this map pool, including the non-ladder maps, simply search for "MLG" on the StarCraft 2 map selection screen.      

building blocker
     building blocker
    What do you guys think of the map pool? Should they have used more GSL/ICCup maps? Do you approve of their modifications? 

I think it's going to make for some interesting games, and there's a decent mix of maps ladder heavy players will know, and newer customs. I don't think I've actually seen many games on Testbug, if at all, but I really like Crossfire SE so far.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

I bet those maps with lots of high and low ground areas next to each other would make things way different, could really turn the tide in a battle. 

Edit: I was primarily looking at Crossfire, because of the two plateaus on both sides of the center of the map.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jorbear

Surprised to see Shakuras still being used, as it has been ousted.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrGetBonus

A small piece of me was hoping to see Kulas Ravine still on that list lol. Map pool seems fine. Don't really like restricting the spawns though.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Thule

This map pool looks pretty good actually. The restrictions on the spawn is actually a great decision considering the match-ups change so drastically depending on whether you're close or far spawn. The spawn change to Shakuras is also good, it's nearly impossible for a Zerg to hold off a Terran siege push or a Protoss push through the back door rocks, especially considering they get a free expo while doing so.

Carnage1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Carnage1290

Yeah, I really like the forced cross map positions on temple and metal, good idea.  The building blocker seems weird, just have to see what that changes. I really wish Blizz could put the GSL maps on the ladder, I want to play those so bad.

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Entus

100% agree with the modifications. Now there won't be any auto-win/losses because of spawn position. It'll make the games a lot less luck based.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Rayeth
    @jorbear said:
    " Surprised to see Shakuras still being used, as it has been ousted. "

Lots and lots of people like Shakuras a lot.  Especially since MLG disabled the spawns with the annoying backdoor.  Even though the backdoor isn't a problem in all matchups, there is a pretty big problem ZvT, but it seems not terrible to me in the other match ups.  Though I don't play a ton of PvP or TvT.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By raiz265
    @onimonkii: ESL.eu has been using Testbug for some time now on their online cups and tournaments and it seems to be a pretty good macro map from what I've seen, eventhough it does look quite weird at first glance because it is a 3player map. 

also MLG_Lee on why they chose Crossfire SE as only GSL map:

On March 01 2011 11:56 MLG_Lee wrote:
    We do listen. Really, we do. :D As a league, I know we will always be under scrutiny, but hopefully this goes a little way to showing the community that we pay attention and that we often have reasons for the things that we do.

Along those lines, I see a lot of questions about why we chose Crossfire vs some of the other GSL maps. Personally, I love Crevasse, but we're also under some serious time constraints due to our bracket size and format. The average time in all the major competition replays we could get our hands on showed Crevasse exceeding our cut off. Unfortunately, so we really couldn't risk having a map that might delay the progress of the tournament. 5mins more every round ends up being a 3hr+ delay by the end of the weekend. And the schedule is already REALLY long for the players. 

Crossfire, while not as good in allowing the macro-game to be played out as some of the other larger maps these days, has some really exciting elements to it that I'm looking forward to seeing on the main stage at Dallas.   

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=197335
    Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Entus
    @raiz265 said:
    " @onimonkii: ESL.eu has been using Testbug for some time now on their online cups and tournaments and it seems to be a pretty good macro map from what I've seen, eventhough it does look quite weird at first glance because it is a 3player map. 

also MLG_Lee on why they chose Crossfire SE as only GSL map:

On March 01 2011 11:56 MLG_Lee wrote:
    We do listen. Really, we do. :D As a league, I know we will always be under scrutiny, but hopefully this goes a little way to showing the community that we pay attention and that we often have reasons for the things that we do.

Along those lines, I see a lot of questions about why we chose Crossfire vs some of the other GSL maps. Personally, I love Crevasse, but we're also under some serious time constraints due to our bracket size and format. The average time in all the major competition replays we could get our hands on showed Crevasse exceeding our cut off. Unfortunately, so we really couldn't risk having a map that might delay the progress of the tournament. 5mins more every round ends up being a 3hr+ delay by the end of the weekend. And the schedule is already REALLY long for the players. 

Crossfire, while not as good in allowing the macro-game to be played out as some of the other larger maps these days, has some really exciting elements to it that I'm looking forward to seeing on the main stage at Dallas.   

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=197335 "
    Good to see their reasoning. It totally makes sense from their point of view.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.