Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Other game developers need to follow blizzards example.

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tahnit

Starcraft 2 is probably the most polished game I have ever seen. Everything in the game is deliberate and was designed with so much care and attention to detail that it is really staggering. The in game engine cinematics blow anything else I have seen real time out of the water. There is so much detail in the facial movement of the characters to the tiny scruffs on tychus's armor.  If you have the collectors edition watch the "making of" videos. It will really surprise you. (watch them after you beat the single player though, there are spoilers.)

Seriously, why cant more developers be like blizzard?

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cataphract1014

They don't have a cashcow the size of WoW that can afford them the time to put so much polish into games.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By The_Philosopher

I agree, the people at Blizzard make some really awesome games. That reminds me I should be playing StarCraft 2 right now.
    Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheCreamFilling

One of my favorite quotes: "A game is never finished, you just run out of time and money."  

Blizzard, Rockstar and Valve may seem to have infinite amounts of those, but not everyone is so lucky. 

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tahnit
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " They don't have a cashcow the size of WoW that can afford them the time to put so much polish into games. "
    But that is not true. Most all game developers get a huge amount of money from publishers. 
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By FireBurger

Because they don't take 12 years between sequels.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By VisariLoyalist
    @Tahnit said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    " They don't have a cashcow the size of WoW that can afford them the time to put so much polish into games. "
    But that is not true. Most all game developers get a huge amount of money from publishers.  "
    but they know they can't get their games to sell enough for that. Publishers don't want to take huge risks
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fwylo
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    " @Tahnit said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    But that is not true. Most all game developers get a huge amount of money from publishers.  "
    but they know they can't get their games to sell enough for that. Publishers don't want to take huge risks "
    Biggest and most obvious example would be Duke Nukem Forever
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Tahnit said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    Blizzard has its own money with no pressure from publishers.  If you get money from Activision or EA, they will want it in a reasonable amount of time.  No publisher would let a developer 6 or 7 years to make a game perfect.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond

#1. Some developers already do.  Just because you haven't played those games doesn't mean they don't exist.
    #2. Not all developers can afford to, Blizzard Activision has shittons of money.
    #3. Blizzard can also be assured of their return on investment because of their popularity, marketing budget, and popularity of current titles like WoW.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ToadRunner

I agree, the lan, chat channels, clan system, map folder, custom game system, and hostable replays are all really polished!

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Bigrhyno

Blizzard has control of their franchises. Even though they are partnered with Activision now, they still don't have something calling the shots and telling them when their game needs to be done and how much their budget is. I agree that Blizzard makes great games, but most studios don't have the creative freedom that they do.

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tahnit
    @ToadRunner said:
    " I agree, the lan, chat channels, clan system, map folder, custom game system, and hostable replays are all really polished! "
    stop trolling my thread. First of all there is a map folder. Chat channels are coming, and the custom game system is pretty good i think.
    ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ToadRunner
    @Tahnit: stop trolling my post. im just pointing out some obvious flaws with the game, even though its a great game.

why? cause you are humping blizzards leg nonstop in yuor post, i wanted to correct you.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By onarum

pff... yeah because developers don't know that already, it's like saying "hey, you know what? your food has to taste good" to a chef...

The thing is that most developers don't have 12 years to polish their games, the majority of games are ready in 3 to 4 years tops, and not because that's the maximum amount of time you need, it's because the developers are kept in a VERY tight leash by the damn publishers and it's army of suits.

It's a no brainer that the longer time and less pressure you have the more polished the final product will be, but it takes more then wishful thinking to get the kind of freedom blizzard haves.

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tahnit
    @ToadRunner said:
    " @Tahnit: stop trolling my post. im just pointing out some obvious flaws with the game, even though its a great game.  why? cause you are humping blizzards leg nonstop in yuor post, i wanted to correct you. "
    your attitude however was a troll. You could have said "I disagree with the lack of this this this." instead you put up an attitude. Hence trolling.
    Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Glak

Although I agree and that Blizzard makes some of the greatest, polished games, it's not realistic for most companies
    Eventually most developers run out of resources or time, and have to put it out quickly

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    Has nothing to do with it, If games aren't finished, blizzard holds them back without any regrets. Quality over Quantity, its a simple idea and easy to follow. I for one have no problem with waiting aslong as when I play it, it feels like they took there time. If any gamer doesn't know by now of the amount of work that goes into these games, they should give up now.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mcfart
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Tahnit said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    Blizzard has its own money with no pressure from publishers.  If you get money from Activision or EA, they will want it in a reasonable amount of time.  No publisher would let a developer 6 or 7 years to make a game perfect. "
    Ask 3d Realms.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diamond
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    Has nothing to do with it, If games aren't finished, blizzard holds them back without any regrets. Quality over Quantity, its a simple idea and easy to follow. I for one have no problem with waiting aslong as when I play it, it feels like they took there time. If any gamer doesn't know by now of the amount of work that goes into these games, they should give up now.
    Has everything to do with it because people don't work for free.  You have to ask, where does that money come from?  With Blizzard it comes from WoW and selling their older titles for high prices.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    Has nothing to do with it, If games aren't finished, blizzard holds them back without any regrets. Quality over Quantity, its a simple idea and easy to follow. I for one have no problem with waiting aslong as when I play it, it feels like they took there time. If any gamer doesn't know by now of the amount of work that goes into these games, they should give up now. "
    Just like Diamond said, It has everything to do with it.  People don't work for free.  You can't develop a game for 7 years with out the funds to back it up, and being able to generate those fund on your own make it a lot easier to say, "Hey, this isn't ready yet."  If you go to a publisher and say that, they will demand a timetable and pressure you into finishing.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Fallen189

Starcraft 2 is a very standard, regular RTS game, that is polished to a very high degree.

They just have an infinite amount of money. Saying "Why don't people just make good games" is a silly question.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.