Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Problems in PvT early game

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spectreman

I´m having a hard time fighting against marines and marauders with gate units. In bronze/silver Terran wall, so I can´t attack with few gate units. But after that Terran came back with a mass of marines and marauders and butcher my zealots/stalkers. Zealots are not ranged units and concusive shells make them slow down. What are the correct counter?

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By timay

Gateway units are pretty weak against marines and maruders. It might be worth going 2 gate robo to get out an early  Colossus.  I dont really play protess but that is what my friend usually goes against Terran.  Or getting some high templars with psi storm eats marines like crazy and can feedback medivacs.

Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Ciffy

Yeah, you can't counter a mass like that with another mass.  You need to either get colossus or psi storm. 

edit: wait.  how early game are we talking here?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rollingzeppelin
    @Spectreman: I got demo'd one time (i'm a terran player) by the guy spamming mass stalkers at the start, try doing that.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tunaburn

if they are walled into their base keep them there. dont let them expand. but dont trt to push in with zealots stalkers. get cannons and build up to colossus or immortals or templars.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Noodles

3gate into Robo timing attack w/ proxy pylon.

gg

Safety_First

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Safety_First

I find that mixing in a few sentries with guardian shield goes a long way towards nullifying marines.  You can also use force field to break up a MM ball which can help in larger encounters. 

Still, timay is right.  Gateways units are generally pretty weak to Barracks units (especially marauders).  If you think your opponent is going heavy Barracks you should try to get to Robo tech or psi storm.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spectreman

Let´s say 3gate and robo. How much Stalker, Zealot and Immortal I need make each?  

And let´s say that I encounter a group of 6 marauders + 10 marines in the road to enemy base. I attack, run? Who focus the attack? Zealots are almost dead before reach the marines and marauders.  

Upgrades, do upgrades in early game? Invest in canons to wall or more units?

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spectreman
    @Safety_First said:
    " I find that mixing in a few sentries with guardian shield goes a long way towards nullifying marines.  You can also use force field to break up a MM ball which can help in larger encounters. "
    Yeah, I never training using sentries and force shields. 
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Thule
    @Spectreman said:

" @Safety_First said:

" I find that mixing in a few sentries with guardian shield goes a long way towards nullifying marines.  You can also use force field to break up a MM ball which can help in larger encounters. "

Yeah, I never training using sentries and force shields.  "
    You should if you want to win against Terran. Good Forcefields are essential to defeating bio balls. If you're Stalker heavy, you should try to bisect the Terran's force so you can engage half of it, kill it and then kill the other half. If you're Zealot heavy you just want to make a wall behind his entire force, so he can't kite your zealots. 

Also use Guardian shield. Zealots have 1 armor(yes, they do) and adding another 2 armor from guardian shield to that, makes it so that marines will only do 3 damage per shot to them. That means you halve your opponents damage with just one spell.

@Spectreman

said:

" Let´s say 3gate and robo. How much Stalker, Zealot and Immortal I need make each?  And let´s say that I encounter a group of 6 marauders + 10 marines in the road to enemy base. I attack, run? Who focus the attack? Zealots are almost dead before reach the marines and marauders.  Upgrades, do upgrades in early game? Invest in canons to wall or more units? "

Your force should generally be composed of a little bit of everything really.  I'd say you could hold off 10 marines and 6 marauders with 1 Immortal, 5-6 Zealots, a couple of Stalkers and a couple of Sentries. Alot of it depends on how and where you engage though. It also depends on how well you place your forcefields. That's all it is really. If you a-move into the Terran ball, nine times out of ten the Terran will win, you need to learn where and how to engage a Terran force, if you want to win.

If you want to upgrade something early game against Terran bio, I'd recommend upgrading your +1 armor. It's tempting to go for weapons, but I think that the armor will do more for you against Marines. Combined with the Guardian Shield, it'll give you alot of damage resistance against them.
    Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spectreman

I have a question about how to apply multiple force fields . If I press shift and target the places of force fields, the sentries only do the force field after kill the enemy which is firing at. 

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Thule
    @Spectreman: 
    That's because you used shift first. Shift queus commands. You should press f and then press shift in order to place all your forcefields.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer

It would be cool if there was a display for how many Force Fields you had available in your control group, like a number on the hotkey somewhere.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By endless_void

MMM can actually be dealt with Gate units in the early stages of the game quite easily if you use your sentries wisely. FFs and guardian shield are very handy. Immortals are essentially the best unit to start building after you have enough resources to mass produce from all your gateways (3-gate+robo is probably the most reliable build order for this tactic), then after that, yes, colossi. Immortals soak up loads of damage though so don't underestimate them even against an MMM force. If your still 1-base in a battle, be sure to always split the enemy army using FFs on the ramp but let a few units into your base before you plop down the FF cause that way you'll be both protecting yourself and killing half his army in the process.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spectreman

One sentry for guardian shield + immortals + upgrade in armor have improved greatly my PvT. Thanks.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard
    @Spectreman said:

" @Safety_First said:

Yeah, I never training using sentries and force shields.  "
    Oh my, if you aren't getting sentries then no wonder your units die so fast! I used to not, but since I have I always at least get 2 for a small Gateway mix and use one guardian shield, then break up the marines and stuff using force fields. Getting them divided and at range = stalkers win.  

Also, with the Immortals, you only really need them if they have tanks - and if they're sieged in their base don't even bother attacking, just keep them contained and tech up. 

EDIT: Just read your post, nice work :)
    hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hicks91

2 gate robo 
    keep early pressure but dont commit to attack, just lurk outside their base making your presence known 
    expand 
    add more gates, research charge 
    have about 4 sentries with a similar amount of immortals before committing to an attack 
    keep an obs in their base, you need to see if theyre planning drops

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tunaburn
    @Spectreman:   dont forget you can get the charge upgrade for zealots. then they wont die before reaching the marines
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HaltIamReptar

It's all about the force fields man.  The fucking force fields.

(I'm a Terran player)

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By leburgan

You need more sentries, multiple for guardian shield and force fields. Hold down f and click to place multiple. Toss up a replay and I'll take a looksies.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hicks91

keep your zealots and sentries on a different hotkey to your stalkers 
    keep zealots at the front 
    may sound obvious but if you keep all on one hotkey zealots tend to get stuck behind and do nothing

pegasuswinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pegasuswinks
    You can do a 4gate 1 robo per base macro build off of 1 gas. This ensure you enough gateway units to deal with early terran pressure and also sets you up for a relatively easily defend-able natural expansion. When you get your expansion up get 4 more gates and 1 more robo, and just macro up.
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By commandercup

In smaller numbers, chargelots can decimate mm balls especially with some stalker support or some nicely placed forcefields to stop kiting. In larger balls, you'll need to split the ball up (as other's have suggested) or you'll need to tech up to Colossus or HT.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spectreman

Hallucination seems pretty good. Sentry+Hall Colossus in early game and Terran run away.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tunaburn
    @Spectreman said:
    " Hallucination seems pretty good. Sentry+Hall Colossus in early game and Terran run away. "
    i might be wrong but, how can colossus be early game?
    Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spectreman

With Hallucination sentries can do any unit, even before be tech. They take the double of damage and last for only 60s, but battles take seconds.     

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Spectreman But if you have Colossi out that early it becomes obvious that they're hallucinated. Any smart Terran will just throw down a scan and march on through.
    Avatar image for everybody_poops
    Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Everybody_Poops

You can handle marine marauder with proper forcefield placement. Most 'safe' protoss build is 3 gate robo. Try pushing with the immortal and 1 sentry. If your not doing that get more like 4 sentries.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By imsh_pl

Well, we can't really tell you what you're doing wrong if you don't give us a replay, can we? 

Ok. I'll try. 

So, you're claiming that you have problems with bioballs. My advice:

1.Watch two of your PvT replays. Center your screen on the corner of the map so you don't get distracted
    by units/buildings/battles (the less important things).
    2.Watch the whole replays with the "production" tab opened. Stare at it all the time, and make sure that there's
    always at least one probe making. Also, make sure that you're never supply blocked. Take notes if
    any of these points is neglected.
    3.Do this for every one of your replays until you've never forgotten a probe or a pylon.

Now that you can macro and are in the gold league, you can start to think about improving your build orders.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Thrawn1

zealots and force fields

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.