Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Protoss vs Terran help!

Avatar image for jimmytheexploder
    JimmyTheExploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By JimmyTheExploder

Hi there, I am a complete starcraft 2 noob, but so far have been doing ok. I have won 4 out of 6 matches on 1v1. However the two matches I lost were both against terran players who seem to absolutely own me.
    I play protoss, and generally try some kind of zealot and stalkers tactic but always get owned. 
    For example I was building up a massive force of zealots, stalkers and dark templar ready for an attack, then out of nowhere a nuke landed and wiped outmy entire army! Needless to say I lost shortly after.
     Any advice against the terrans?

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sadisticham

Protoss seem to whoop my ass as a terran player if i let them tech up and get higher tier units. I usually try to deal with them quick or annoy them a lot. 

Best bet from someone who admittedly isn't an expert on this game is to try and keep the guy pinned in his own base and tech up yourself. Keep an eye out for expansions and deal with them.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @JimmyTheExploder: My advice in that particular situation would be to try some ealier attacks to prevent the Terran player from getting a nuke. Also you should probably be producing observers from your robotics facility. You can use them for scouting out the terran base and would have seen his ghost academy (the building that allows him to make ghosts and holds nukes) and they are also able to detect cloaked units. When a ghost is calling down a nuclear missile he has to sit stationary for about 15 seconds so if you can spot him with an observer and take him out you can avoid the nuke entirely. Another option is to just move your army since he's either going to be nuking your army or your nexus to try wipe out your probes. 

My biggest piece of advice since you say you're a new player would be to learn the tech tree of all 3 races even though you are only playing Protoss. You have to know what they can do before you can beat them.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Try to keep pressure up on his base so he goes on the defensive, that gives you a chance to mass up you forces and tech up. And scout, always scout to figure out what you need to counter.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By ectoplasma

The problem is that u're a little too inexperienced to give concrete advice because there are just too many contingencies in the games u play, that we can't give u proper advice. We could give u advice if u would always lose vs the same strategy. In you're situatin u should just try to play many more games. Get like 100 games done to familiarize urself better with the game, best play some matches with all races. Doens't matter too much if u lose. 
    In you're example u lost because u didnt have detection for invisibility. U should always have some kind of detection if u are unsure if the opponent can have invisible units.  
    I would say the most important thing is to play alot though. U could also pick one build order u find on a site like team liquid and try to practice it over and over. But i think if u really want to learn the game its important to get out of your comfort zone as often as possible and don't learn one type of cheesy start and play only that (which can easily get u in gold). 
    Another thing besides getting familiarty is trying to always keep building drones and always keep ur money low. Those are like 2 of the major factors that lead to winning. If u get a strong economy it will also get into gold league in no time. 

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By willylo

Rush early with 4 zealots asap to pressure their base, try to get a robotics facility asap and produce observers. ALWAYS scout the opponents base, this way you can counter what they're producing.  The Warp in ability is also really helpful for protoss, once you start learning it build up to 3-4 warp gates and convert them over, every 10 seconds you'll be able to warp in units.

If the Terran are looking like massing marines, marauders build a few High Templars with psionic storm. You've got to manually cast it but it'll wreck groups of biological units. 

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#7  Edited By Jazz
    @gunslingerNZ said:
    " @JimmyTheExploder: My advice in that particular situation would be to try some ealier attacks to prevent the Terran player from getting a nuke. Also you should probably be producing observers from your robotics facility. You can use them for scouting out the terran base and would have seen his ghost academy (the building that allows him to make ghosts and holds nukes) and they are also able to detect cloaked units. When a ghost is calling down a nuclear missile he has to sit stationary for about 15 seconds so if you can spot him with an observer and take him out you can avoid the nuke entirely. Another option is to just move your army since he's either going to be nuking your army or your nexus to try wipe out your probes.  My biggest piece of advice since you say you're a new player would be to learn the tech tree of all 3 races even though you are only playing Protoss. You have to know what they can do before you can beat them. "
    Pretty much this. Learn to place your observers in the best places for that particular map and try and control as many of the choke points as you can. 
    Also, use height to take out incoming raids. Place a decent force of stalkers and sentries on cliffs above choke points to take out as many units as possible before they hit your defences. Learn how to use a sentry effectively..using force fields to block ramps and shields to reduce ranged damage (especially important when dealing with terrans). If you're using Dark Templars, send some phoenixes or stalkers with them to take out the ravens so they remain invisible.
    JimmyTheExploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JimmyTheExploder

Thanks guys some great advice here!

FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By FrEeZe

It would also be pretty helpful to watch some more experienced Protoss matches. 
    Or if you think you have a good handle on Terran (shouldn't be too hard if you've played through the campaign), you could try playing as Terran vs Protoss. As Terran you can use those strategies that were used to beat you against other Protoss players to see how they react.

JimmyTheExploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JimmyTheExploder

Hi guys quick update, im still getting owned down by terrans, yet im beating every other race hands down!!
    Could anybody be so kind to have a quick glance at a replay and give me some pointers?

Ive uploaded it to here: 
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZOP7F02J

anyway help would be appreciated :)

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Aetos

Make sure you have some observers. Also have some sentries to use guardian shield. It reduces some of the damage. Also get some immortals on your army and eventually some Collusi too.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Feanor
    @JimmyTheExploder: Well if he dropped a nuke on you that means you waited to long to attack. What I like to do against an MMM Bioball is to use charglots and high templars. Also make a few phoenixes for some anti air. Chargelots chew through terran, and it does not take long to upgrade them to that.
    Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Titl

I am in the opposite situation. I cannot, for the life of me, beat protoss (as terran), even though i make sure to make some early marauders, they get me with early Zealot rush. 

I guess that is an advice worth giving: Remember to put some early pressure on the terran player, even if you only have 4 zealots, you can do some serious dirt to your opponent.

You can also watch some commentary on some PvT matches, i strongly recommend checking out Day9's videos at:
      http://day9tv.blip.tv/ 

EDIT: And remember to tech up, void rays can be devastating if they haven't been scouted.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#14  Edited By Jazz

Always go for the supply lines when you can....maybe that's too obvious.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Feanor
    @Titl: Voidrays are countered by the Terrans starting unit, so its not the greatest idea. And if you are having trouble with toss, try getting some ghosts. EMP is crippling to protoss, and most toss players in lower leagues will not see it coming.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ectoplasma
    @Titl said:
    " I am in the opposite situation. I cannot, for the life of me, beat protoss (as terran), even though i make sure to make some early marauders, they get me with early Zealot rush. 

I guess that is an advice worth giving: Remember to put some early pressure on the terran player, even if you only have 4 zealots, you can do some serious dirt to your opponent.

You can also watch some commentary on some PvT matches, i strongly recommend checking out Day9's videos at:
      http://day9tv.blip.tv/ 

EDIT: And remember to tech up, void rays can be devastating if they haven't been scouted.

"
    Just wall off your base?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.