Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Qualified for Gold League, I don't think I'm that good.

Mourer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Mourer

Just finished my 5 placement matches.  Won 4 out of 5 but 3 of them quit as soon as I attacked with a few marines, marauders and a siege tank and medivac. I hope I don't get mauled in Gold League.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Shenanigans.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I ended up in gold and didn't think I was really good enough for that league either. However, I'm currently at 8 wins - 12 losses which seems pretty fair to me.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By sixghost

Gold isn't that tough. Unless this is the first RTS you've ever played, you'll be just fine. Even if it is your first RTS, you'll be fine if you just stick with it, I'm pretty sure Brad said he ended up in either gold/plat, so it's not that crazy.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scroll

I'm currently in Silver and while at first I thought it'd be crazy tough, it's not too bad.

I've been able to counter and out flank my opponents a few times.

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Terra1909

There have been a bunch of posts on the SC2 forums along these lines--people thinking they are placed too high or low. Give it time; eventually it will even out, and you will be with people of a similar skill level. Just hang in there if it gets too tough.  
    Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zuul

Keep in mind that there are 5 different leagues. Bronze < Silver < Gold < Platinum < Diamond. If you are placed in Gold, that is about average. If you are just getting stomped in Gold, don't worry about it too much. By dropping rank only means that you will face (hopefully) easier opponents.  

This ranking system is why I am glad they only allow you to have one charater profile (no smurf accounts!).
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @sixghost said:
    " I'm pretty sure Brad said he ended up in either gold/plat, so it's not that crazy. "
    Brad was in Silver in the beta, and then won enough to get put into Gold...and he placed into Silver again for retail.  He never got platinum.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Donos

I had the exact same experience as the OP, and I ended up in Platinum, when I was Silver in the beta. I figured this was way too high, but now I'm going 1:1 in platinum. So.... did the general skill level of every single player in the game just suddenly drop or something? Did the influx of new players set all the league bars way too low?

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By slax

I've finished 3 of my 5 placement matches and won them all. I'm really worried I'm gonna get placed too high... But whatever, I do like the ranking system so i'm sure it'll work out.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By LegalBagel
    @Donos said:
    " I had the exact same experience as the OP, and I ended up in Platinum, when I was Silver in the beta. I figured this was way too high, but now I'm going 1:1 in platinum. So.... did the general skill level of every single player in the game just suddenly drop or something? Did the influx of new players set all the league bars way too low? "
    I suspect that the beta had a much higher concentration of skilled players, or at least people who love Starcraft and have played it before.  So the overall skill level most likely was much higher, meaning Silver/Gold were still filled with people who knew what they were doing. 

Now, there's tens of thousands of new players, many of whom have never played Starcraft, to fill out Bronze/Silver at least until they get some experience.  I'm guessing things will shake out more though, as people drop off from playing multiplayer, and you'll end up with the same concentration of more skilled players.  Like trying to jump into a Modern Warfare game now.  People shoot mans pretty good.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By thatfrood

The difference between Gold and Silver league is very marginal, even Platinum league isn't a substantial change.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hungrynun

After pontificating my turn out I was ok with being in silver.

I think the rank system is alright.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

OK, I don't think I placed too high getting into gold now. I just won 9 out of 11 matches...I guess I'm improving and really starting to click into some SC2 strategies.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By VisariLoyalist

that's allright you'll just lose over and over again until you get bumped down problem solved :)

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By EnchantedEcho
    @KaosAngel:  Brad's in platinum, my friend played him a few hours ago.

This is from his twitter.

Strange night of 6 pools and bunker rushes, but I just clawed my way into Platinum. Not sure how accurate the rankings are right now though. about 5 hours ago via Tweetie for Mac   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.