Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Soooo... I accidentally got this game.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

It's pretty much a story that's embarrassing and not worth mentioning. Anyways, I need to know what to expect with this game. I'll mention that I did like the campaign for the first one, but that was about 8 years ago. I haven't even played multiplayer on the first Starcraft. What will I be running into once I start this game?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Raw testosterone

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

it's got tutorials and stuff, i say just dig into it. campaign is good if you really like playing as terran, but the multiplayer is great all around

MrDorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MrDorkins

Play the campaign, best way to get a hold on the basics of the game.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch13696
    @RedEyesBlueBunny said:
    " it's got tutorials and stuff, i say just dig into it. campaign is good if you really like playing as terran, but the multiplayer is great all around "
    Well, I've tried multiplayer on Dawn of War and Command & Conquer. Yeah, I really suck at it.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye
    @ch13696 said:
    " @RedEyesBlueBunny said:
    " it's got tutorials and stuff, i say just dig into it. campaign is good if you really like playing as terran, but the multiplayer is great all around "
    Well, I've tried multiplayer on Dawn of War and Command & Conquer. Yeah, I really suck at it. "
    it's a whole other league from any other RTS you've played. I love C&C but it doesn't even approach the complexity and competitive nature of starcraft. 

Play the campaign, learn as much as you can and if you feel it, start the practise league and take it from there. prepare to lose a lot before yuo get the hang of things.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ch13696
    @jadeskye said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " @RedEyesBlueBunny said:
    Well, I've tried multiplayer on Dawn of War and Command & Conquer. Yeah, I really suck at it. "
    it's a whole other league from any other RTS you've played. I love C&C but it doesn't even approach the complexity and competitive nature of starcraft.  Play the campaign, learn as much as you can and if you feel it, start the practise league and take it from there. prepare to lose a lot before yuo get the hang of things. "
    Yeah, I figured that's what I will have to do. It's just like starting a business. You'll lose some money before you gain a profit.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrGetBonus

This will be the best accident of your life.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jadeskye
    @ch13696: no guarantees of profit, starcraft 2 is a very demanding game online, you may not have the stomache or the ability for it. Prove me wrong. =)
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ch13696
    @jadeskye: I was just using the whole business quote as an example. What I should have said was that you have to lose a little to win a little. Or you learn from your mistakes.
    Carbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Carbon

Don't get caught up in the hardcore nature of it until you want to. Just play to enjoy it, and if you start feeling competitive and enjoy that side of it then you can focus on hardcore improvement if you want. There are plenty of ways to enjoy the game without having to play it eight hours a day. The custom maps people are coming up with are actually really awesome. I found the single player to be one of the corniest, self-serious things I've experienced in ages, but some of the missions were really from their gameplay design.

DauntlessFinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By DauntlessFinch

If you start enjoying the multiplayer of the game, and want to become better, the greatest way to do so and have a little fun is to watch the Day 9 Daily at day9.blip.tv

Day 9 is an ex professional Starcraft player who in SCII changed over to commentating and giving tips and info to both new players and seasoned experts alike. He's a great Starcraft player with an even better personality. I rarely play SCII online anymore competitively, but I thoroughly enjoy watching his videos and learning from him. I highly recommend it if you get into it.

For the very start, I recommend just doing every tutorial you can, and then go into a practice league match expecting to lose. Its a very hard barrier to break, but once you've got it broken, SCII is one of the best multiplayer games out there.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By bybeach

It's an unusually sophisticated game and can be difficult you do not grasp the basics right off. I need to go back and do it again. I'm even considering buying a strategy manual for it, and getting it down the different classes and such. 

It's also got  a pretty good story, even some humor. I respect it and even do like it.
    Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Entus

Just remember that in multiplayer, if you have a lot of minerals/gas to spend, you're doing poorly.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By ThePickle

Challenges are a great way to get into multiplayer. 

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By DoctorWelch

Dont waste your time playing multiplayer, trust me.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

Avoid the multiplayer at all costs, but enjoy the singleplayer experience.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By MadeinFinland
    @jadeskye said:
    prepare to lose a lot before yuo get the hang of things. "
    this. It's useful advice. Also, save replays and watch what the people against you do. Easiest way to learn.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By endless_void
    @MrKlorox said:
    " Avoid the multiplayer at all costs, but enjoy the singleplayer experience. "
     Quite the opposite for me. I thought the SP was very enjoyable for an RTS, but still disappointing compared to multiplayer.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By shirogane
    @MrGetBonus said:
    "This will be the best accident of your life. "

Maybe second best, but that all depends on how lucky/unlucky you are huh? 

If you go multiplayer, you may want to check out the challenges first. Also, don't bother with those practice matches. They do jack all to help you.
    Hangnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hangnail

Impossible! There's no way you can "accidentally" buy 'StarCraft II' you either buy it or you steal it!

Back to seriousness, unless you're an absolute RTS vet you'll want to totally master the campaign and singleplayer content (challenges, AI skirmishes, etc.) before you can even think of taking a shot at the leagues.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Ineedaname

I want the story.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I want the story. "
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Ben_H
    @Shirogane said:
    " @MrGetBonus said:
    "This will be the best accident of your life. "
    Maybe second best, but that all depends on how lucky/unlucky you are huh?  If you go multiplayer, you may want to check out the challenges first. Also, don't bother with those practice matches. They do jack all to help you. "
    Agreed.  The practice matches don't seem to have any sort of skill level monitor, so you can play bronze league level players who don't know how to use the keyboard or platinum level players who will stomp you. 

The multiplayer is the best part.  I'm finally getting better at it.  Once you get good at it, it gets a lot more rewarding and fun, regardless if you win or not.
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rmills87

Yeah dude - if you're at least a little baby bit into Real-Time Strategy gaming, you've picked the golden nugget.  Let it sink into every fucking nerve fiber.  Yeah.  It's that good.  And the multiplayer deserves to be an entire retail copy on its own.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ch13696
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " I want the story. "
    "
    Lol well ok. I went to Wal-Mart because I got a gift card in celebration of my new son. So I'm scrounging around the PC aisle because it was time for me to get a new game. I took a look at Starcraft II and went to go show my girlfriend and my son (I know he won't know what it is, but it would be nice for the first game he see's is Starcraft II). Then I notice Call of Duty Black Ops. I set down Starcraft II next to my son and totally forgot about it. Continued to look at Black Ops and really thought about how I needed a new FPS for my PC. So I covered back up the stroller not even thinking that Starcraft II was still next to my son and continued to walk around the store thinking about Black Ops. Not knowing much about Starcraft II, trust me, it was a hard decision. At that time I decided to get Black Ops. I went to go pay for it and left. As we got to the car, I went to go take my son out of the stroller, when I noticed Starcraft II sitting next to him. This hit me pretty hard. It was pretty much an accidental shoplift. 

I started thinking about the last time this accidentally happen with some lip gloss my girlfriend forgot in the cart. I went to go take it to them and told them I forgot to pay for it. Well let's just say at the end of the day I ended up with a court date. This was maybe 2 years ago though. I refuse to let this happen again. Yeah, I should have returned it, but even though it was an accident, I don't want to have this happen again on my record and then who knows what happens next. 
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Creigz
    @MadeinFinland said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    prepare to lose a lot before yuo get the hang of things. "
    this. It's useful advice. Also, save replays and watch what the people against you do. Easiest way to learn. "  
    I am doing this now, my first week was like 30 losses and 10 wins, and now I'm at about 55% wins/loss which is nice, sadly I'm stuck in Bronze league because of my stupid losses trying to learn the game, nothing really wrong with bronze, but it takes forever to get out of it. 

I've never been a fan of RTS games, I couldn't even stick the first Starcraft for more than the single player, but Starcraft II has captivated me, and almost got me not even wanting Cataclysm, but who am I kidding, Cataclysm intrigues me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.