Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Support SC2!

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gamefreak9
    http://g4tv.com/videogamedeathmatch/battle/29/     
    Husky Sent his army over to G4 and we got ahead, but then Halo community did something back, HELP US, i feel Giantbomb has a stronger SC2 community than Halo so, assist. SC2 is the only game that can reach TV and get respect, Halo will promote stereotypes such as Friedman's because of its lack of intellectual stimulation, i love both but just help SC2, raise awareness. 
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By raiz265

i always make the mistake to read waaaayyy to many comments on crap like this... 

and after like half an hour my brain hurts and i want to punch a baby because i hate humanity or something

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thule

Yeah, I really don't care about some internet e-peen measuring contest.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Honestly, shouldn't people just vote for the game they prefer?

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ColMirage

Oh sweet! MORE DRAMA TO READ!

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Cwaff
    @raiz265 said:
    " i always make the mistake to read waaaayyy to many comments on crap like this...   and after like half an hour my brain hurts and i want to punch a baby because i hate humanity or something "
    I did too.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gamefreak9
    @raiz265 said:
    " i always make the mistake to read waaaayyy to many comments on crap like this...   and after like half an hour my brain hurts and i want to punch a baby because i hate humanity or something "
    I'm not proud of either communities comments, but i'm just trying to get SC2 to become a little more out there. @Thule said:
    " Yeah, I really don't care about some internet e-peen measuring contest. "
    Its E4, tv show, this could actually bring in quite alot of attention to the winning game. 
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " Honestly, shouldn't people just vote for the game they prefer? "
    Normally i would say yes, this might sound out of proportion but i am pretty sure that the majority of the Halo community did not play an RTS like SC2 whilst the opposite is not that true(i have no doubt there are exceptions), and since Halo has had like 4 games, i'm sure that most people have at least some idea of how it works, and TBH Reach barely had any new innovations in it. 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    Normally i would say yes, this might sound out of proportion but i am pretty sure that the majority of the Halo community did not play an RTS like SC2 whilst the opposite is not that true(i have no doubt there are exceptions), and since Halo has had like 4 games, i'm sure that most people have at least some idea of how it works, and TBH Reach barely had any new innovations in it.  "
    Let's face it, for a game 10 years coming Starcraft II didn't have all that many innovations either, just because they both stick to their core formula doesn't make either bad games. This isn't about innovation or who played what though, it's about which game more people like.
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By audiosnag
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    I'm not proud of either communities comments, but i'm just trying to get SC2 to become a little more out there. @Thule said:
    Its E4, tv show, this could actually bring in quite alot of attention to the winning game. 
    @Gamer_152 said:
    Normally i would say yes, this might sound out of proportion but i am pretty sure that the majority of the Halo community did not play an RTS like SC2 whilst the opposite is not that true(i have no doubt there are exceptions), and since Halo has had like 4 games, i'm sure that most people have at least some idea of how it works, and TBH Reach barely had any new innovations in it.  "
    My vote is for Starcraft also but you can't sell Reach short. Reach innovated to the same extent Starcraft did. Both games added some features, changed things up a little bit but on the whole kept the core game play and both games were for the better for it.
    I loves me some Halo but damn do Halo fanboys deserve some of the crap they get. Some of those comments are painful to read.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    Let's face it, for a game 10 years coming Starcraft II didn't have all that many innovations either, just because they both stick to their core formula doesn't make either bad games. This isn't about innovation or who played what though, it's about which game more people like. "
    I don't disagree that for 10 years its not much, but you have to keep in mind that its hard to innovate while keeping it so balanced, fps don't mind that much if some weopons are a little OP, in fact sometimes they overlap roles wayy too much.  

Anyways the new innovations i consider are, Roaches, quick underground healing + them and infestors can move burrowed, banelings, can be used as mines, sentry, create temporary building blocks, collosus, a unit thats ground but can be be it by air whilst not seeing the difference in terrain between cliffs and ground,  void ray, continuously increasing damage, phoenix, graviton beam, make a ground unit temporarily aerial, terran reactors doubling que of a building, supply depot adding on and mule(even though supply depot not used much in pro games), i guess Xel Naga towers? I'm sure theres more, the innovations are just more subtle thats all. 
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    @Gamer_152 said:
    I'm voting for Halo, because I fucking love me some Halo. And you know what, I didn't play SC2, and I probably won't because I can't be arsed with the super-competitive community and elitist attitudes a lot of them seem to develop (not pointing any fingers, just speaking in general terms from what I've experienced so far) 

And dude, who are you trying to fool saying that SC2 needs more attention. It's one of the biggest games this year, the people who wants it bought it already, and the rest will buy it when it drops in price. It doesn't need more attention more than any other game. And I highly doubt that G4tv will have any impact whatsoever on people's decisions on what to buy.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gamefreak9
    @audiosnag said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    @Gamer_152 said:
    My vote is for Starcraft also but you can't sell Reach short. Reach innovated to the same extent Starcraft did. Both games added some features, changed things up a little bit but on the whole kept the core game play and both games were for the better for it. I loves me some Halo but damn do Halo fanboys deserve some of the crap they get. Some of those comments are painful to read. "
    Painful because they are retarded or because they are true? I'm not really saying reach is all bad, my fav is still the first one though, i feel like the formula just went down from there, Reach was better than 2-3 imo, but i'v been playing Halo every year nowadays that it takes alot more to impress me, whilst i did play SC for the fist 5 years after its release, i then changed up to W3, and SC2 just felt sooo new. 
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By meteora
    @Azteck said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    @Gamer_152 said:
    I'm voting for Halo, because I fucking love me some Halo. And you know what, I didn't play SC2, and I probably won't because I can't be arsed with the super-competitive community and elitist attitudes a lot of them seem to develop (not pointing any fingers, just speaking in general terms from what I've experienced so far)   And dude, who are you trying to fool saying that SC2 needs more attention. It's one of the biggest games this year, the people who wants it bought it already, and the rest will buy it when it drops in price. It doesn't need more attention more than any other game. And I highly doubt that G4tv will have any impact whatsoever on people's decisions on what to buy. "
    If you haven't played SC2, why are you posting in this forums? 

That's something I don't really understand.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Azteck:  
    Predictable...Well i am saying that SC2 getting more attention could recreate the Korean scene in a small scale in the US, this would be a HUGE step for games, there would be differentiation between E sports and games. This can bring respect to the gaming community, i mean imagine in 30 years you might be able to put SC2 on ur CV, like poker players put that in theirs.   

Your the ignorant idiot i am trying to marginalize myself from, why i hate being called a gamer. 
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nephrahim

Done. 

I like Halo too, but eh, SC2 is amazing.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @gamefreak9: I'm pretty sure a Halo fan could give you a list of innovations naming all the subtle changes to the Halo franchise as well.

This whole thing kind of sounds dumb and obnoxious...
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Death_Unicorn:  
    It did, but not as many and not as significant, just because they are subtle does not mean they don't mean much. Anyways, i'm not trying to demote Halo reach, i am trying to balance out things since i expect theres lots of ppl like the guy above who have not played both and are voting for reach. 
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By audiosnag
    @gamefreak9 said:

" @audiosnag said:

" @gamefreak9 said:

" @raiz265 said:
    I'm not proud of either communities comments, but i'm just trying to get SC2 to become a little more out there.  @Thule said:

@Gamer_152

said:
    My vote is for Starcraft also but you can't sell Reach short. Reach innovated to the same extent Starcraft did. Both games added some features, changed things up a little bit but on the whole kept the core game play and both games were for the better for it. I loves me some Halo but damn do Halo fanboys deserve some of the crap they get. Some of those comments are painful to read. "
    Painful because they are retarded or because they are true? I'm not really saying reach is all bad, my fav is still the first one though, i feel like the formula just went down from there, Reach was better than 2-3 imo, but i'v been playing Halo every year nowadays that it takes alot more to impress me, whilst i did play SC for the fist 5 years after its release, i then changed up to W3, and SC2 just felt sooo new.  "
    Retarded. Granted there are some SC fanboys who are just as bad in there...i don't know who annoys me more, Xbox fanboys or PC elitists. 
    I do think SC is a better game, I base that solely on the fact that, as much as i love Reach, I don't really play it anymore whereas I still play SC. I didn't ever play the first near as much as this one but i played War3 a fair bit also.
    Both games have their merits for me, I've got way more nostalgic memories playing Halo with friends, but for now, Starcraft 2 is my vote. Although to be honest these sorta things kinda bug me. Just seems to be a source of fanboy flaming. Not that i'm trying to crap on your post, anyone supporting SC is all good in my books.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai

Reach and SC2 are equal.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    Let's face it, for a game 10 years coming Starcraft II didn't have all that many innovations either, just because they both stick to their core formula doesn't make either bad games. This isn't about innovation or who played what though, it's about which game more people like. "
    I don't disagree that for 10 years its not much, but you have to keep in mind that its hard to innovate while keeping it so balanced, fps don't mind that much if some weopons are a little OP, in fact sometimes they overlap roles wayy too much.   Anyways the new innovations i consider are, Roaches, quick underground healing + them and infestors can move burrowed, banelings, can be used as mines, sentry, create temporary building blocks, collosus, a unit thats ground but can be be it by air whilst not seeing the difference in terrain between cliffs and ground,  void ray, continuously increasing damage, phoenix, graviton beam, make a ground unit temporarily aerial, terran reactors doubling que of a building, supply depot adding on and mule(even though supply depot not used much in pro games), i guess Xel Naga towers? I'm sure theres more, the innovations are just more subtle thats all.  "
    I don't really think of those as innovations, but more a list of changes which helped make the game at least somewhat different from its predecessor. Even then if a game cannot innovate because of the core gameplay formula it's using then I don't think it should be excused for not innovating as much, but rather the makers of the game should be criticised for making a sequel when they couldn't innovate, not that I think don't think Starcraft II is a very well-made game, it just wasn't about innovation in my mind. Also, as Azteck said, I don't think the game needs more attention, I think the reason that Halo is more popular than Starcraft is nothing to do with a lack of awareness about Starcraft, it's just that Halo is a much more accessible game to people. Let's face it, if you play RTS games then there's no way you don't know about Starcraft and if you don't play RTS games then Starcraft isn't going to be your thing anyway.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Ryax

i saw a comment about how starcraft is for 30 year olds who live in their moms basement. if i had an account there i would say halo is for 12 year olds who live in their moms attic 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @gamefreak9: Will it be the end of the world if either game loses on G4? These are already two of the biggest games released this year.

I'm not underselling subtle changes, they definitely change a game, but to say sequel A's subtle changes are way more profound and significant than Sequel from Another Genre B isn't really a strong argument.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Meteora: no test shall be required as a qualification to any video game thread on giantbomb.com
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Gamer_152:  
    Quoting got too much. Well no those are innovations because they are new mechanics in RTS in general, i didn't mention repears for instance since tiberium wars had jet packs that could jump over cliffs too(even though you had to have sight).  I mean which of the additions i mentioned has been done before? Thats IS innovation, innovation's aren't only big things, they are minor improvements(this might be random but one of my courses is Management of Innovation, so i think i'm in a pretty good position to say what qualifies as innovation). 
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck
    @Meteora said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    @Gamer_152 said:
    I'm voting for Halo, because I fucking love me some Halo. And you know what, I didn't play SC2, and I probably won't because I can't be arsed with the super-competitive community and elitist attitudes a lot of them seem to develop (not pointing any fingers, just speaking in general terms from what I've experienced so far)   And dude, who are you trying to fool saying that SC2 needs more attention. It's one of the biggest games this year, the people who wants it bought it already, and the rest will buy it when it drops in price. It doesn't need more attention more than any other game. And I highly doubt that G4tv will have any impact whatsoever on people's decisions on what to buy. "
    If you haven't played SC2, why are you posting in this forums?  That's something I don't really understand. "
    Mistook it for being posted in Generall Disusions. My bad.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Death_Unicorn:  
    Comparing it to the end of the world, is not a very good comparison? Will it be the end of the world if your house burns down? If your family chokes? No, but it would probably be important. :P I don't know where i was going with that but anyways, if i was just stating my opinion, i'm not dealing in absolutes, if you played both then vote for the one you prefer.  
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Ryax said:
    " i saw a comment about how starcraft is for 30 year olds who live in their moms basement. if i had an account there i would say halo is for 12 year olds who live in their moms attic  "
    Please don't do that kind of stuff, it makes everyone look like an idiot.

@gamefreak9 said:
    " @Gamer_152:  Quoting got too much. Well no those are innovations because they are new mechanics in RTS in general, i didn't mention repears for instance since tiberium wars had jet packs that could jump over cliffs too(even though you had to have sight).  I mean which of the additions i mentioned has been done before? Thats IS innovation, innovation's aren't only big things, they are minor improvements(this might be random but one of my courses is Management of Innovation, so i think i'm in a pretty good position to say what qualifies as innovation).  "
    Yes, I guess those things do meet the dictionary definition of innovation. I still stand by my other points though and all the debating in the world won't change that the G4 competition is basically a popularity contest.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Gamer_152:  
    Winning a popularity contest might make people snobby and stuck up, but it never hurt a product :P. 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Gamer_152:  Winning a popularity contest might make people snobby and stuck up, but it never hurt a product :P.  "
    I agree with you but that wasn't really my original point. I'm asking why should people vote for anything other than the game that they prefer?
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Deusoma

I'm not voting for anything if it means I have to sign up with G4's website. :P

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @gamefreak9: Why do I have to prefer one? They are kind of completely different and both have appealing aspects.

Why do you have this contest in such high regard, it's a popularity contest that doesn't mean a thing... Both games are already immensely successful and have their established communities. I would also hope this contest is not as important as your mom choking.

Do you consider adding new units an innovation to the genre? Would you want all RTSes to build off basic unit archetypes? I'd hope not, that would make things very bland.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Gamer_152:  
    I agree with you, vote for the one you prefer, i do have a bias in wanting SC2 votes, hence posting this in SC2 forums instead of general. This is because i believe SC2 has a higher potential threshold, if its popularity goes high enough it will hit American television as an E-sport that could give more respect to the gaming community, i don't really care about just more gamers playing sc2, i care about games in general beating down the crap movies, and music did once upon a time and gained respect.  

Actually this might be interesting to add on since its in my studies anyway. When writing was first introduced, it was also shunned, you might find this really awsome, Socrates thought:     

1.Inhuman – pretends to create outside the mind what can only exist within it. 2.Destroys memory skills – readers forced to rely on aids 3.Unresponsive – texts can’t explain or justify 4.Real speech works within the give and take of real people. 

He had numerous arguments with Plato.  
    Also to note these are notes from my lecture, watch out where you spread them, i think they might be protected.  

@Death_Unicorn said:
    " @gamefreak9: Why do I have to prefer one? They are kind of completely different and both have appealing aspects.  Why do you have this contest in such high regard, it's a popularity contest that doesn't mean a thing... Both games are already immensely successful and have their established communities. I would also hope this contest is not as important as your mom choking.  Do you consider adding new units an innovation to the genre? Would you want all RTSes to build off basic unit archetypes? I'd hope not, that would make things very bland. "
    If you don't prefer one, then don't vote, i am not forcing you.. well actually, its about making unique units with unique abilities, i don't mind if other games use these amazing concepts, they are but a stepping stone in the world of RTS, i still expect other RTS'es to make other innovations, however, they will probably be of a different type, like that train capture point in Tiberium wars, or that robot that absorbs other vehicles to become stronger. Hopefully globalisation will hit gaming and there will one day be a supreme rts game that has different modes and all the unit archetypes. Aka have a turn mode(civ style), hero mode(w3 style), capture point(dawn of war2), mabe even change era within game options. 
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Feanor

The Starcraft community is above shit like this. No need to get dragged in with all the Halo kiddies. 

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Feanor:  
    I know i should be ashamed for trying to pool more votes. Seriously. 
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Feanor
    @gamefreak9: well.... yes you should, because who cares about an internet poll. but I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the people getting into fan boy wars over the game.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Feanor: i do love people that don't feel shame though... deviation from topic... not good
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Edin899
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Azteck:  Predictable...Well i am saying that SC2 getting more attention could recreate the Korean scene in a small scale in the US, this would be a HUGE step for games, there would be differentiation between E sports and games. This can bring respect to the gaming community, i mean imagine in 30 years you might be able to put SC2 on ur CV, like poker players put that in theirs.    Your the ignorant idiot i am trying to marginalize myself from, why i hate being called a gamer.  "
    WE HAVE A WINNER PEOPLE FOR THE DUMBEST COMMENT OF THE YEAR ! 

I love starcraft but you will never put starcraft 2 in your CV
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Edin899
    @Edin8999 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Azteck:  Predictable...Well i am saying that SC2 getting more attention could recreate the Korean scene in a small scale in the US, this would be a HUGE step for games, there would be differentiation between E sports and games. This can bring respect to the gaming community, i mean imagine in 30 years you might be able to put SC2 on ur CV, like poker players put that in theirs.    Your the ignorant idiot i am trying to marginalize myself from, why i hate being called a gamer.  "
    WE HAVE A WINNER PEOPLE FOR THE DUMBEST COMMENT OF THE YEAR !  I love starcraft but you will never put starcraft 2 in your CV "
    NEVER!!!!
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Edin8999 said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    WE HAVE A WINNER PEOPLE FOR THE DUMBEST COMMENT OF THE YEAR !  I love starcraft but you will never put starcraft 2 in your CV "
    NEVER!!!! "
    Koreans have been putting it in their CV for 5 years, its actually supposed to be one of the best indications for fast stock Brokering, thank you, try again. 
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Edin899
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    NEVER!!!! "
    Koreans have been putting it in their CV for 5 years, its actually supposed to be one of the best indications for fast stock Brokering, thank you, try again.  "
    LOL 
    HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA 
    I would love to see you put starcraft 2 in your CV and apply for a job in europe or the US in 30 years. 

Please tape it and send it to me so i have something to laugh at till i die. 
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ArchScabby
    @Fragstoff said:
    " Starcraft doesn't need support its too awesome "
    I think your army of 3 dragoons is going to lose though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.