Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

System requirements and other concerns

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By trylks

I don't have a PC capable of running this game at this moment. I'll probably buy a laptop in some months, I'll then jump from XP to 7 and probably will get a core i? processor. Gaming for me is secondary in a PC, but it is something that I may like to do if that doesn't put too much stress to my PC.

A patch in SC allowed it to use less than 100% of the processor, which is a very nice thing for such an old game that needs so little resources when compared with current chips.

I would like to know several things, some should probably be better asked somewhere else, so you can skip those if you want

• Which are the system requirements for SC2?
    • Will an average to high laptop computer bought in a few months surpass those requirements by a wide margin?
      • If not:
        • Do you think playing in a laptop is such a bad idea?
      • If yes:
        • Do you know if SC2 has enabled the use of a part of the power in the PC to reduce energy consumption and heat?
        • Do you know a way to specify quotas for processes in windows 7?

Thank you very much.
    Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Phaseshift

I'm gonna go with:

Buy an Alienware

for all answer's, problem solved.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Semition

Minimum
    • 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
    • 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
    • 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card
    • 1024x768 minimum display resolution
    • 4 GB free hard space (Beta)
    • Broadband connection

But I have heard you can run SC2 smoothly with a 1.8GHz processer if you just play 1v1.

An average-high computer bought now will surprase these requirements by quite a bit.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By ethan_raiden

They haven't released any requirements yet, but any mid range machine bought in the past 2 years will be able to play it, the game scales really well. There's no need to go to an Alienware level of PC to play this game at decent settings.

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By kerikxi

My machine is probably not technically on par with minimum requirements, but I can play 1v1 with minimal lag. I built this computer over three years ago, so that should give you a decent benchmark.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fbomb

I'm guessing they'll attempt to keep settings as low as possible, since it's core base doesn't sit at the bleeding edge of PC gaming technology. I'm referring to Korea, where StarCraft has it's own TV channels, and PC gaming is incredibly popular. It's a country where, if Blizzard were to release a high requirement replacement to StarCraft, they would just keep playing the original. If Blizzard wants a quick shift from its old game to the new one, it will need pretty much anyone with a PC to have the ability to make the switch to StarCraft 2. Can't wait.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Phaseshift said:
    " I'm gonna go with:  Buy an Alienware  for all answer's, problem solved. "
    Thats the worst advice you can give someone, way too expensive.
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By taccyp

The minimum requirements for SC2 are on the extreme low end. I had a computer back in 2004 that had a 9800 pro and similar specs in comparison to the minimum requirements for SC2. That computer became obsolete sometime in 2006 or early 2007. I was actually surprised that the minimum requirements were that low when blizzard posted them. Almost everyone will be able to run SC2 as long as they don't have onboard video. If that's the case, I suggest upgrading.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By trylks

Great, that you for your answers, if someone is interested I also found a way to limit the cpu usage, it is for windows 2000 and XP but I hope I'll find a similar way with windows 7.

I also don't know what's the power consumption of the graphics card when playing a game like this, I would like to keep my PC cool so that it will keep working for years, it would be good if blizzard managed the power consumption to keep it low, specially considering they managed to do so with the original starcraft.

I suppose that at this point in time we can only hope :-)

Again, thank you all.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Trylks said:
    "Will an average to high laptop computer bought in a few months surpass those requirements by a wide margin?"
    Provided you aren't purchasing from the extreme low-end, then yes it will surpass by a fair margin.  Laptops are getting better at performance that it will become a viable option for portable mainstream entertainment for all types of consumers, if it hasn't already.  I see laptops at affordable prices with dedicated graphics cards, 4 gigabytes of RAM as standard, and 320GB or 500GB of space to boot (though the wise will keep everything in externals as much as possible).  I had a laptop before it broke, and was playing some RTS games with a mouse.  Do not rely on the touch pad to play properly.  Get any decent laser mouse for cheap and you will be set. 

Also about heating issues, once you try to run big enough games, you cannot really avoid high levels of heat in laptops.  Just make sure you play in relatively stable environments with good room-temperature or cooler.  Also I believe some companies sell cool mats which help to reduce the heat, though they need to be powered, so it may be too much of a hassle except for home use. 

Other than that minor issue, you shouldn't have any major problems running SC2 on a recent laptop at all.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By trylks

Thanks, as I said, gaming is secondary, so I think I'll only play at home, and I already have a cooling system, despite of that I may avoid playing at summer at all, and I'll try to find a way to limit the processor usage as I hope it will be enough with a fraction of it.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12  Edited By SunKing
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Phaseshift said:
    " I'm gonna go with:  Buy an Alienware  for all answer's, problem solved. "
    Thats the worst advice you can give someone, way too expensive. "
    Honestly, +1 for truth. Find yourself a decent computer hardware website or selection of magazines and see what the lay of the land is.

I can tell you my specs right now:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor @3.20 Ghz
    ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
    3 Gigs DDR2 (low speed) RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit

And I've got everything on ultra high settings at a resolution of 1440*768. Occassionally the FPS dips below 30, but only when the screen gets really busy. It is very playable.

I have a medium-end computer, and the equivilant must be quite cheap by now, relatively speaking.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trylks
    @SunKing: but... is it a laptop? what about the heat? Games have usually a processor usage of 100% even running in processors with very different specs, and I live in a hot place. By now, I can only hope I'll find a program to limit processor usage when I get my new computer with windows 7.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14  Edited By SunKing

Mine's a desktop, and if you were to buy a desktop then you could fit it with additional cooling, if you were so inclined. If you're looking for a laptop then you're going to have to find some reviews that address that aspect specifically.

I never thought I'd say this, but maybe a MacBook Pro would be the the way to go? I hear there will be a StarCraft 2 version for the Mac, and on the Apple website they state the actual max temperatures you would expect (around 100 degrees fahrenheit).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.