Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Tech timing?

Avaren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Avaren

How do you guys decide when to advance techs? Is it part of your initial build or do you time it based on some other ingame event?  I am having trouble deciding when to stop massing gateway units and tech to colossi/templar instead.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Thule

It can be part of your build, for example a Protoss player could decide to go for Colossi after they get their first expansion and get 4 gas up and running. 
    I play Zerg though, after my initial build I usually choose a tech path that counters whatever my opponent is doing.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Turambar
    @Avaren said:
    " How do you guys decide when to advance techs? Is it part of your initial build or do you time it based on some other ingame event?  I am having trouble deciding when to stop massing gateway units and tech to colossi/templar instead. "
    Unless you're good at scouting, making your tech timing reactionary would not be a good idea.  Especially as a protoss, the time it takes to go down on of your tech paths to get the money unit (either colossi or templar with storm) is very long, and if you start it only after your opponent has a noticeable advantage because of a certain unit composition, the time it takes to tech to colossi or templar will leave you more vulnerable than you would want as you invest resources into something that doesn't have any immediate return.

For me, the best way to find the proper tech timing is just base it on something arbitrary, and then alter it after seeing how well it works over the course of a couple of games. 
    Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shibbxyz

I usually start a game with a tech route in mind and scout my opponent and if he happens to be going something that does counter my tech choice then ill quickly switch out of it, but as zerg i hardly get past roach hydra anyway :D

oldmouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldmouse
    @Avaren I usually wait until I get an upgrade, or an higher tech unit.

Like if I had marines and mauraders, I would wait for a tank and the siege tech to move up on my opponent. Or when getting Banshees with the cloak.

But scouting before so you can actually know what you should get.
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By commandercup
    @Shibbxyz said:
    " I usually start a game with a tech route in mind and scout my opponent and if he happens to be going something that does counter my tech choice then ill quickly switch out of it, but as zerg i hardly get past roach hydra anyway :D "
    This. Although lately I've been trying to stick mainly with gateway units until the late game. Day9 says that the future of SC2 is in more gateway units and I can definitely see why as they are incredibly versatile and warp gates work with late-game tech (Templars), plus you can produce really quickly to replenish. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.