Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

The Newbie Question Thread

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

I was going to just make a topic with a whole bunch of questions of my own, but figured I might as well make a thread for all new players to pose their questions, and, hopefully, have them answered by more experienced players. I'll try my best to keep this post updated with the questions and answers supplied by the users. So before you pose a new question, be sure to check if it's already been answered. 

Now I just hope this thread doesn't turn into a huge fail. 

So, here's some noob questions of my own: 

Terran Questions

How Many Unit Upgrades Can I Research?

@ThatFrood said:

" Research done at any building applies to all units for the rest of the game. Meaning that if you research something in a tech lab for one barracks, it applies to them all. Research can only be done one at a time if it is just one building, but if you have several you can make each start researching a different tech at the same time. "

@ThatFrood

said:

" If you research stimpacks at a barracks, all of your barracks units will have stimpacks. Forever. It doesn't matter where the marines were made, if they were made in a barracks or magically floated in from space, once you've researched stimpacks anywhere, it'll apply to all of your units. "

@Osaladin

said:

" @Kazona said:

" @ThatFrood: So if I understand correctly, you can have more than one type of research if you have multiple buildings? (e.g. 2 barracks, of which one researches stimpacks, the other shields, and both researches being applied to units created at either barrack?)  I hope that made sense lol. "

No matter where you do research, it effects all of your units that the upgrade is for. "

Can I Have Multiple Building Upgrades?

@ThatFrood said:

" The Barracks can have either a tech lab or a reactor. Once you build one the other becomes unavailable, unless you lift up your barracks and decouple the add-on. Then you can build the other addon after landing. "

Q:How Do I Prevent Rushes?  (by HandsomeDevil)

@ThatFrood said:

" @HandsomeDevil said:

"How do I prevent rushes? I always think I have enough troops, but then the other dude always has 10 times as much. Am I missing something? I play Terran by the way. "

If the enemy has more troops than you then he has a better economy. From the onset you should be building scvs as often as possible, stopping only to build depots and a barracks. Terran can stop rushes fairly handily by blocking off the ramp entrance into their base with their big, bulky buildings. 2-3 supply depots and one barracks is usually enough. To leave the base you only need to lower a depot. "
    @Osaladin said:

"   @HandsomeDevil: As Terran you should have your base walled off with 2 supply depots and a barracks. Spawn a marine and have him stand behind the wall (in your base) he can repel pretty much any rush. The only thing you'll have to be careful of is a baneling bust, but if you do sufficient scouting, you'll be able to spot the baneling nest and you can react by doubling your wall off with more supply depots.   But don't get yourself trapped and just turtle, you should harass your opponent quite often in early game. Build the units you need to harass based on the race you're going against.  That's my two cents from playing and watching videos. I am by no means a pro or anything close, but I have read up and experimented with the game quite a bit. Hope that helped! "

@sixghost said:                                          

" Like someone said, learn to construct a wall at the top of your ramp. If for some reason you don't have a wall, don't be afraid to pull your SCVs to help you fight, if your opponent has an unusually high number of units early on in the game, they must have sacrificed their economy, so you can lose some scvs and still be in good shape.

Other than that, just improve your scouting. Maybe you just aren't scouting early enough or aren't keeping your scout alive for long enough, but if you know what's coming it's 100x easier to defend. If you aren't fast enough to constantly keep bouncing back and forth from your main base to your scout, use shift+right click to queue up waypoints for your scout, so it will keep on moving regardless of whether or not you are watching it.

Also, when you are playing zerg, keep your scout off the creep since it allows zerglings to move much faster, meaning your scout will die much quicker.

If you do all that and are still losing to rushes, it just means that you don't have the correct amount of units at the time of the rush, which means something is wrong with your build orders.

"
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ThePickle

To answer your question, Barracks can only have one upgrade. 

How do I prevent rushes? I always think I have enough troops, but then the other dude always has 10 times as much. Am I missing something? I play Terran by the way. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By thatfrood

Research done at any building applies to all units for the rest of the game. Meaning that if you research something in a tech lab for one barracks, it applies to them all. Research can only be done one at a time if it is just one building, but if you have several you can make each start researching a different tech at the same time.

The Barracks can have either a tech lab or a reactor. Once you build one the other becomes unavailable, unless you lift up your barracks and decouple the add-on. Then you can build the other addon after landing.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thatfrood
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    " To answer your question, Barracks can only have one upgrade.  How do I prevent rushes? I always think I have enough troops, but then the other dude always has 10 times as much. Am I missing something? I play Terran by the way.  "
    If the enemy has more troops than you then he has a better economy. From the onset you should be building scvs as often as possible, stopping only to build depots and a barracks.
    Terran can stop rushes fairly handily by blocking off the ramp entrance into their base with their big, bulky buildings. 2-3 supply depots and one barracks is usually enough. To leave the base you only need to lower a depot.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Kazona
    @ThatFrood: So if I understand correctly, you can have more than one type of research if you have multiple buildings? (e.g. 2 barracks, of which one researches stimpacks, the other shields, and both researches being applied to units created at either barrack?)  I hope that made sense lol.
    Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Osaladin

@HandsomeDevil:
    As Terran you should have your base walled off with 2 supply depots and a barracks. Spawn a marine and have him stand behind the wall (in your base) he can repel pretty much any rush. The only thing you'll have to be careful of is a baneling bust, but if you do sufficient scouting, you'll be able to spot the baneling nest and you can react by doubling your wall off with more supply depots.  

But don't get yourself trapped and just turtle, you should harass your opponent quite often in early game. Build the units you need to harass based on the race you're going against. 

That's my two cents from playing and watching videos. I am by no means a pro or anything close, but I have read up and experimented with the game quite a bit. 
    Hope that helped!

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thatfrood

If you research stimpacks at a barracks, all of your barracks units will have stimpacks. Forever. It doesn't matter where the marines were made, if they were made in a barracks or magically floated in from space, once you've researched stimpacks anywhere, it'll apply to all of your units.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Osaladin
    @Kazona said:
    " @ThatFrood: So if I understand correctly, you can have more than one type of research if you have multiple buildings? (e.g. 2 barracks, of which one researches stimpacks, the other shields, and both researches being applied to units created at either barrack?)  I hope that made sense lol. "
    No matter where you do research, it effects all of your units that the upgrade is for.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ThePickle
    @Osaladin: @ThatFrood: Thanks to you both
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By sixghost
    @HandsomeDevil said:

" To answer your question, Barracks can only have one upgrade.  How do I prevent rushes? I always think I have enough troops, but then the other dude always has 10 times as much. Am I missing something? I play Terran by the way.  "

Like someone said, learn to construct a wall at the top of your ramp. If for some reason you don't have a wall, don't be afraid to pull your SCVs to help you fight, if your opponent has an unusually high number of units early on in the game, they must have sacrificed their economy, so you can lose some scvs and still be in good shape.

Other than that, just improve your scouting. Maybe you just aren't scouting early enough or aren't keeping your scout alive for long enough, but if you know what's coming it's 100x easier to defend. If you aren't fast enough to constantly keep bouncing back and forth from your main base to your scout, use shift+right click to queue up waypoints for your scout, so it will keep on moving regardless of whether or not you are watching it.

Also, when you are playing zerg, keep your scout off the creep since it allows zerglings to move much faster, meaning your scout will die much quicker.

If you do all that and are still losing to rushes, it just means that you don't have the correct amount of units at the time of the rush, which means something is wrong with your build orders.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By sixghost

Another general tip, STOP MAKING STATIC DEFENSE. Spine crawlers, bunkers, turrets, cannons, etc. should only be made for very specific reasons (i.e. you are expecting mutalisks, an early hellion, early reapers, etc.). Every mineral you spend on static d is money that you could have been spending on more important things like teching up, making more production buildings, more units, or upgrades.

Making 400-500 minerals worth of static d in your natural expansion may make you feel more comfortable early on, but it will most likely end up hurting you later on in the game when you are expanding to areas other than your natural. That said there are exceptions, such as adding static d to far away expansions later on in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.