Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Thinking of switching to zerg

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By leburgan

So I have been having problems with toss. I'm not sure why either. It just seems its really hard to go long game against zerg, and the early game against terran seems too hard. I feel like zerg just has so many options, and can do so much rediculousness. Has anyone made the shift, and how hard is it to do?

EDIT: I am protoss and I am Diamond

EDIT EDIT: Let this thread die, its not serving a purpose anymore, as I've made my decision.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

do a 9 pool

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By sixghost

Terran is just harder to play than it was previously, but it's still possible to win. People are just having a hard time adjusting to TvZ now that you can't basically guarantee massive damage with one of like 4 types of harass. You need to start learning how to cut corners and play greedy, then hit your timings. To be honest, terran was way too fucking easy for a long long time, now it's more where it should be.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Rockanomics

Just play them a few times, it's not like you can't just go back. 

I'd say they are much harder myself, there's so much crap to babysit.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By leburgan
    @sixghost:  I don't play terran I play toss
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkanti

Soo many people seem to have switched to Zerg after the last two GSL's, which really annoys me as someone who has been Z the entire time. Last night in 1v1 ladder I was put into 6 ZvZ in a row.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By leburgan
    @Arkanti: Its not becasue zerg are doing well with the gsl. Hell P did fine in MLG. I just cannnot deal with shit on a personal level, and feel like zerg is so annoying as roach/hydra and muta/ling are hard to deal with.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @tankintheair315: I'd suggest watching this before making the switch.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thule
    @tankintheair315 said:
    " @Arkanti: Its not becasue zerg are doing well with the gsl. Hell P did fine in MLG. I just cannnot deal with shit on a personal level, and feel like zerg is so annoying as roach/hydra and muta/ling are hard to deal with. "
    If your having problems with that, I can tell you already it's not going to get any better playing as Zerg. Playing against a good Protoss who places his forcefields well or uses a good timing push is just as annoying as a good Roach Hydra composition. If you really want to switch then go for it, but don't expect the grass to be much greener on the other side.
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arkanti
    @tankintheair315: 

Those builds are going to be just as annoying if not more so with you playing as a zerg. Hell they'll even be on creep when they're in your base.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sixghost
    @tankintheair315 said:
    " @Arkanti: Its not becasue zerg are doing well with the gsl. Hell P did fine in MLG. I just cannnot deal with shit on a personal level, and feel like zerg is so annoying as roach/hydra and muta/ling are hard to deal with. "
    It always seems like the other race is easier, but trust me, there is plenty of stuff like that with Zerg as well. I consider switching to Protoss just about every time I get steamrolled by some 200/200 colos armyl
    KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KingPossum

I've been maining Terran since late beta and I'm also hitting the wall with them. I'm having an increasingly hard time racking up any kind of wins without either over macroing in a long battle of attrition or by cheesing the crap out of uneducated opponents. 

So I'm going to step away for a bit and maybe come back to see how things are after the next balance patch. But like you I've also been toying with the idea of switching to either Protoss or Zerg in the long run. 

But god damn if marines don't just look cooler...and that's what's making it so hard to leave.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By benpack

I too have been a Terran main, but there's just something about Zerg that keeps me coming back. The main problem I have when I play them is I either have not enough resources, or way too many resources and not enough units. I just have to get my build order down.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By leburgan
    @sixghost: Yeah I think its because I took a break, and I gotta get back on it. I don't think i'll switch, its just seems that zerg can be so powerful since unit compositions can have radical shifts like from mass roach to mass hydra.
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By wunder_

I can't speak for the Toss here -- but switching races is definitely quite a tough thing to do. Personally, if I'd switch from Terran to another race, I'd pick Toss, and vice versa. Zerg mechanics are just too complex and require a bit of a different mindset whereas at least Toss and Terran have a few more similarities with each other. I know that Harris tried to switch to Zerg but stopped after a couple weeks and went back to Toss. I find Zerg much harder to play and pick up rather than playing Toss and I think if you really want to switch, switching to Terran is a much better option.  

Terran right now is quite solid in terms of a lot of match-ups. I'm comfortable with TvP/Z but my TvT is where it's quite shaky. Obviously mirror match-ups don't really count in terms of balance because it's really all about outplaying your opponent or not making mistakes. Sometimes I've found TvP to be a little stale, but I've found one or two newer builds that can switch it up from simply bio play. 

So just deliberate a bit more -- I know there aren't many protoss heroes you can look up to, that might be the main reason why you feel Toss is really difficult to play, and even in the GSL3 there are far more Zergs and Terrans than there are Toss. If you really want to switch to Zerg though, I can always help with TvZ.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By leburgan
    @Wunder_: Ha I might use u more for PvT as taht matchup is giving me issues too
    haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By haffy

I switched from Terran to Zerg mostly because of all the bitching that was thrown at me as Terran and Zerg seemed fun to play.  I played mostly 2v2's and a few custom games with Zerg to get used to them. I was in gold 1v1 with Terran with 50wins and about 35 losses. This morning I just got into dimond with Zerg with 80 wins and around 50 loses. It's been fun playing Zerg mostly because of the speed of their units and they're just a really fun race to play. Also their tactics always seem to be trying to trap opponants which I find fun when it work's well.

Even if you don't fully switch, finding out what's beating you playing as Zerg will only make your Protoss play better anyway.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By audiosnag

I've been paying Z since the game released an they're a lot of fun but they're def not east to play initially.
    Between creep spreaad, vomiting larva and figuring out when to pump drones or army, there's a LOT to deal with an that's on top of everything else.
    Maybe its just me but early game z don't seem to have many options.
    That being said they are fun to play.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sixghost
    @tankintheair315 said:
    " @sixghost: Yeah I think its because I took a break, and I gotta get back on it. I don't think i'll switch, its just seems that zerg can be so powerful since unit compositions can have radical shifts like from mass roach to mass hydra. "
    That's true, but you can't just look at the 3 races and say, "oh well race X can do this better than any other race, that's imba". Zerg can change unit composition really quickly, but that's also because they need to. Zerg is never going to have a maxed army that can kill everything until they get to ultralisks (which IMO are kind of terrible now). Protoss on the other hand, is all about timing attacks, expanding, and finally moving out with that unkillable army to win the game no matter how many more expansions your opponent has. Which is something zerg would never be able to do.

I do feel for the P players out there. They're clearly having some trouble with TvP, and I think it's got alot to do with how little harassment potential they have. Reavers were removed, and storm is hard to tech to, and virtually useless when it comes to storming minerals lines.
    danyul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danyul

Sixghost destroyed me last night ;( 

But OT, I think Protoss are severely lacking in the late game. I feel out of any of the races, protoss players are probably dying for the next expansion to come out so maybe they can get a new unit or two, because they desperately need it. Its almost like the original SC where Terran didnt have medics until Brood War came out. 

You just have to look at the gsl qualifiers to see that protoss is hurting, as they are so underrepresented its pretty sad. I watch tons of pro starcraft footage on youtube, and I've seen Protoss throw away 50 food leads to terran players dozens of times, which imo should never really happen unless youve made a huge mistake in the game.  Another problem with protoss is that expanding is a huge problem for them. While terran have the PF which is basically invincible to ground attacks (which is a bit ridiculous), Protoss have nothing to protect their expansions, except a highly immobile army. Terran can drop around and really put the hurt on protoss. Its weird because Terran are so cost efficient, while protoss really need a lot of resources to produce units, and yet terran have such an easier time expanding.

It remains a problem for Blizzard to sort out though, as in low level play (plat and lower) Protoss actually have the highest winning percentage of all the races. Yet on the the higher ups, Protoss have quite a lot of problems.

danyul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danyul

As for Zerg, I find them incredibly fun to play. Im not very good yet, but theres a couple of really fun tricks they have up their sleve (burrowed banelings, baneling bombs, burrowed roaches, INFESTORS, etc). I definitely enjoy them a lot more than other races. I started playing as protoss though, and would 4 gate the hell out of everyone, and transitioning to zerg is a bit of a jump, but its really worth it imo. 

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

its the hardest of the possible transitions, but totally worth it

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By meteora

The Zerg mechanics are really hard to grasp your head around until you play a bit more of the game. You need to do babysit a shitload of things with the Zerg though, with the damn hatcheries and queens and creep and whatnot. 

I think I'll comfortably stay with Terrain/Protoss.

SoulPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SoulPunisher

i was scared of switching to zerg because i thought they were too hard to use, but now that i play them i love it, just have to get your hotkeys set up so you can macro like crazy without inturrupting what your doing on the batlle field
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @Arkanti: It was the roach patch that did it. Zerg are just a much more competitive option than they used to be. I do wish there was more variety to the Zerg units though. Nobody gets Hydras so you almost always see a mix of Ling/Baneling/Muta/Roach. I'm guessing the next patch will have some adjustments to make Hydras better.
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By leburgan
    @gunslingerNZ: Yeah hydras already have ridiculous DPS that will destroy toss gateway units like no other. They already do amazing dps per cost, they don't need more.

And after some practice games I feel like I'm going to stay toss, but it seems you just can't fuck up. Maybe its the level I'm playing at but if you fuck up you're dead.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DoctorWelch

I'm thinking about switching to Zerg, but I have been thinking about it even before the first GSL. The only reason why I went Terran is because I was the most familiar with it but I have always wanted to play Zerg. I say the hell with it, who cares if you loose your Diamond rank, its not like your gonna go pro, so why not have fun and switch it up. Thats what I think I'm gonna do.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Driadon

Zerg is a big macro switch from either of the other races thanks to the larva balancing you have to do on top of production/economy. I've tried to play Zerg a couple of times, but unless you can pick up on that change right off the gate, you'll likely come back to Toss.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By davidwitten22

The answer is always Random man. I main random now, and I'm loving it. I'm bad with all races equally, so I get to play as everyone and the game seems fresher. Just finished too Terran matches, and they're my least favorite. But I sure do love Random.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By audiosnag
    @tankintheair315 said:
    " @gunslingerNZ: Yeah hydras already have ridiculous DPS that will destroy toss gateway units like no other. They already do amazing dps per cost, they don't need more.  And after some practice games I feel like I'm going to stay toss, but it seems you just can't fuck up. Maybe its the level I'm playing at but if you fuck up you're dead. "
    Oh god. If Hydras got buffed I'd blow the front of my pants clean off.
    They're already such a strong unit, if you get good creep spread they tear through Toss gateway and air units like they aren't there.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Donos
    @audiosnag said:

" @tankintheair315 said:

" @gunslingerNZ: Yeah hydras already have ridiculous DPS that will destroy toss gateway units like no other. They already do amazing dps per cost, they don't need more.  And after some practice games I feel like I'm going to stay toss, but it seems you just can't fuck up. Maybe its the level I'm playing at but if you fuck up you're dead. "
    Oh god. If Hydras got buffed I'd blow the front of my pants clean off. They're already such a strong unit, if you get good creep spread they tear through Toss gateway and air units like they aren't there. "
    Heh, try some Hydra + Infestor. Hydras outrange most ground units, so fungal growth lets them kill most ground armies with ease. I just used it a few times in some 4v4s, and against the constant MMMing it's disgustingly effective.

To your point, Hydras absolutely do not need any buffs.
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By commandercup

I've really wanted to switch to Zerg as well. I've been playing Starcraft (1 & 2) for a long, long time and I've always been in love with the Zerg, but they are just too damn hard for me to play for whatever reason. I'm a ~1300 diamond toss and zerg is just completely foreign to me; I can't manage queens, my hatcheries, creep, overlords, map control and everything all at once without completely failing. 

I love my toss, but they just seem so limited... someone else mentioned it in this thread, but they have such a limited potential for harass and can't really put on effective early pressure (they can, but it's especially risky) because the zealot is so damn slow. I want something like a medivac, or a banshee, or a muta, or even ghosts. Plus, Ekaj raped me yesterday with his super-duper EMP timing push which makes me rage and say that EMP is OP (it's basically a storm that does 100% damage instantly and plus the ghost is a templar that can cloak and do regular damage). 

I want my reaver back, or I want some damn movable/salvageable static defenses (wtf Blizzard?) 

/rant 

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rmills87

Go for it!  This game practically BEGS you to try all three races and find how each piques your interest :-)  Good luck with being Zerg!  I used to love Zerg in the StarCraft & StarCraft Brood War days, but I haven't touched them yet in SC2.  I am still loving the Terrans.

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Creigz
    @hedfone said:
    " do a 9 pool "
    It ain't easy being cheesy. 

I play both Zerg and Protoss depending on how I feel that day, and honestly, don't underestimate roaches, corrupters and Zerglings. Banelings aren't too bad when a guy is bunkered down, because you just run em in and BAM! A couple buildings go out, additionally, I use my Banelings as land mines, so they burrow and I just wait for em to get walked on and I out a full force commonly. Roaches are great little tank guys, Hydralisks are quite unarmored in comparison, just hydras are good against void rays, very good. Battle cruisers and carriers not so much, but corrupters turn into carriers. Also, if they're really hunkered down, Ultralisks get the job done man...they really, really do. Start out with 10 or 8 pool rushing, where you do 8 drones and then a pool, while the pool builds, get a new overlord out to hold upkeep for the new Zerglings, and then just push out a queen and run Zerglings as fast as you can, while building a Roach Warren and then a Spire so you can get out roaches and Mutalisks, and trust me, Mutalisks are lifesavers, their attack is AOE, and if you upgrade the attack you get a nice advantage.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By m1k3

Im thinking about switching to zerg from terran. terran requires too much micro and multi-tasking which i have a hard time doing. but then again the whole "having to choose whether to make a drone or an army unit" kinda scares me.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By leburgan
    @m1k3: If you have a problem with multitasking and micro with terran, you probs won't be able to make the switch, theres more on the z end.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShockD

I learned quite a lot from watching the Fruit Dealer play. Before, I was occasionally playing with Zerg. Now I mostly play with them. They have some great tactics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.