Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Trying to "play like a pro"

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cataphract1014

I watch games on youtube, I download replays from top players, but I rarely attempt to emulate their exact play style.  I try build orders and harass and stuff, but I've never been super aggressive.  It took me getting furious after going 1-2  trying to play as protoss for the first time to attempt this(My hand still hurts from punching my door! I know I have an anger problem).  I have a hard time trying to keep myself in this mentality though.  I always turtle, I'm never aggressive.  At most I'll harass with a banshee or something.

I know we got some Diamond players around here, so I'm trying to ask, if you play like this or do you try and do your own thing.  I know there his a huge difference in skill between low diamond and people like HuK, but do any of you attempt to be super aggressive?  Non-cheese aggressive.  But maybe people will think what I did is cheese!

http://www.mediafire.com/?spi9s5zw2194sxw

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By PerryVandell

One of the key strategies of Starcraft II is to follow the strategies of the people who are better than you. When someone beats you, watch the replay of the game and see exactly what they did, and then think of what you could have done to counter that. While you can gain some knowledge from watching pro matches of Starcraft II, the people who play pro are generally very good at multi-tasking, which many of us aren't. These are guys who juggle seven or more complicated tasks while following a set regiment that they made after playing hundreds of hours of Starcraft II and nothing else. So I wouldn't recommend going pro unless you want to make your life all about that one game and nothing else. But if you want to just get better at the game, then just watch replays and learn the hotkeys. (Or switch to zerg)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00d76666221
    deactivated-5f00d76666221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought you did fine in that replay, sure some minor gripes (could have expanded while you had him trapped in the main).  What you did wasn't cheese, the opponent could have done with more lings and spreading creep more.  As for being aggressive, it's different strokes for different folks, I try to be aggressive in the early game, and then if I get ahead, expand and out macro the other player.  Being aggressive definetely can be useful, but I for one get overeager.  Though against zerg, if you can be a pain then do it.

JusticeReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JusticeReturns

I got to watch huk play at mlg raleigh. hes pretty good.

pros dont do the same thing every game. there is a time for aggression. if you scout and see a hole in their timing, hit then.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DoctorWelch

I've noticed it's always hard to compare yourselves to the pros because they have to do something different ever game in order to throw people off and make sure they arent predictable. When your just playing against random people though, you can do the same thing every time and just make sure you know how to adjust. For me personally I go with a 4 racks marine marauder ball with eventual Ravens, Medivacs, and Thors if it comes to that point, and I know how to adjust my build and what I am getting accordingly. Really the only games I am loosing right now are against stupid ass cannon rushes or Zealot rushes. I looked up videos on how to stop both these things, but its still really hard sometimes but thats a different discussion. I would say what you did wasnt cheese, but I would also say it wasnt the most effective strategy. I would say spend those resources on Marauders instead of Reapers because you could have had way way more Marauders by the time you had those Reapers out. If you are going to go Reapers though, they are most effective when used as cheese. So if your using Reapers and your not proxying or harassing, you're doing something wrong.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Turambar

There's nothing wrong with emulating what a high level player does to help give you a general sense of what to do, but don't follow it too closely.  The thing is their level of play is far more efficient and cleaner.  By that I mean they will never forget to make workers unless they specifically want to cut workers.  They won't forget to pump army units out of production facilities, etc.  Thus, for example, on a one base, while you or me can be macroing out of 4 barracks and still have some money left over, someone like Silver might be pumping out of 3 and just have enough resources left to make his next expansion or something because there is no "dead time" for him.

Also, imo, forget the distinction between what's cheese and what's not.  Just always have an idea of what to do if that early move fails.  For example, if you have a plan to have early reaper harass and then transition out to something like an MMM for mid game, to hell with all the people bitching at you that lose to the early reapers and mock you for cheesing.  There is no such thing as unfair.  If they can't deal with it, its their problem, not yours.  You just need to figure out how to deal with an opponent that survives that first step.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kelbear

You have to take some risks to learn when they pay off. It's a game, it doesn't matter when you die, just learn from it. You'll improve, and get a feel for what you're capable of, which will better inform you on what your practical options are. 

freeground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By freeground

The thing is with pros is that they won't suicide their unt\its with a reckless attack they'll instead continue attacking, harrasing really, the other player. There's no need to try and go for the kill. Also if someone says you're cheesing, ignore them. Cheese is a legitimate strategy and if the other player can't defend it then they aren't good enough to be in diamond. It also should be noted that early aggression should be done in order to keep the oppenent defensive so that you can expand and have a macro advantage. Such an advantage will be what makes the difference in the middle game. 
    Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Hennet_sim

Try to expand early on after the first rush and be sure to scout out your opponents to see what there doing and build accordingly.

Flooko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Flooko

What i would do is when your watching your replays measure your self to PERFECT. it's easy to just go "oh i got supply block but it no big deal i'm only in silver league." but if you really want to be good when you watch your replay and see that you dont have a prob build for just 10 sec. you should yell at yourself over it because that way you wont repeat that mistake next time and you will improve a ton over a short period of time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.