Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Tutorial for New Players

MrWillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By MrWillz

I was not lucky enough to have played the orignal Starcraft so i am totally new to this.  I have played many stragegy games such as C&C and DoW so I not new the genre.  So does anyone know of any places to get a tutorial or walk through?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

...go to Team Liquid for their information.  THere is no better place to go.  Trust me.

DawnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DawnB
    http://www.teamliquid.net/ Link for the Lazy. But there isn't really a tutorial there.  

Basically I would say that that researching the original games gives you at least an idea of the stuff going on.  Pick a race and mess around in a custom game to at least get a feel before going into the placement matches.  Unlike DoW there is a much bigger focus on base management/peons.  You want 2-3 peons per mineral pile and per gas building.  There are a lot of replays out there to watch, so I also recommend watching them to get a feel for the # of peons before you start doing buildings early on.   

http://starcraft.org/blogs/starcraft/405 - How to wall (walling to create a choke and to limit the income of enemies is important 
     http://www.giantbomb.com/news/here-are-starcraft-iis-current-tech-trees/1494/ - Old Tech tree listing here on Giant Bomb, but it is out of date. 

I can really only speak to specifics for Terran and even that is not well thought out. 
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Donos

Huskystarcraft on youtube has a bunch of commentated matches, as well as a couple of tutorial videos. It's not hugely in-depth, but they're nice and simple, and I found them helpful.

DawnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DawnB

For Terran: 

Immediately put all SCVs (peons) you have mining minerals, start a new SCV (s) in your command center and rally point to an unused mineral pile.  Continue to build SCVs until you pop the 9/11 supplied SCV while another is building and send it to your choke to build a supply depot.  Hotkey this SCV and SHIFT-Right click to another start position to have it auto scout when it finishes.  Continue to build SCVs 
    The supply Depot should finish just as you hit 11/11 supply with an SCV trying to build, so it will start.  When you have 120 minerals (right around here) grab an SCV off the minerals to build a Barracks at your choke (full block, or 1 supply depot left for wall completion). 
    Build more SCVs until you are at either 13 or 14 supply.  Either build another Supply Depot (at the wall) if you fear an early rush, want to prevent scouting, etc. or a Refinery.  Continue to build SCVs and whichever of those you didn't start at the 13/14 level do so at 15/16. When the refinery finishes put 2-3 SCVs on it (the hints say 3 total needed, I prefer 4 but I haven't actually run the numbers on efficiency)
    When the barracks finishes start a marine and do NOT build more SCVs than the one currently building. Once that SCV is complete, start the upgrade to an Orbital base. 
    Your SCV scout should have been to 2 or 3 of the start spots for a 4 start map or be totally all up in the enemy's base on a 2 start map.  You should know your opponent's race, early build order and whether they are fast expanding.  Zerg will likely have killed this with early lings (is fine, and you should be able to see a Roach Warren go up if they are slow), Terran will have a marine chasing you (if you are by the peon line you get longer scout cuz hte marine has to travel) and if htey are Toss you Shift rally your SCV in circles and laugh at the Zealots until the warp stalkers are out. 
    While the Orbital base is building you should be building the second refinery building, a second barracks, putting a tech lab on your first barracks and building another supply depot. 
    Once the orbital base is done, pump SCVs until you have full coverage (30 SCVs, I almost always peter out around 24 cuz I get distracted but I'm working on it) of 2.5 SCVs per mineral and 3 SCVs for the gas.  Whenever you have 50 energy, drop a mining drone and have it start on minerals.  DO NOT USE THE ENERGY SCANNING UNLESS IT WILL WIN YOU THE GAME.  The drone mineral income is way better. 
    You should have 3 barracks (2 with tech labs, 1 with reactor core) for most games, and tech up to Starport (Barracks, Factory, Starport) relatively quickly for your Dropship/medivac.  The two with tech labs should pump maurders and ghosts (light marines if you are gas short) and the core should pump marines.  Research the Concussive Shells ASAP, Stim Packs secondary, and the marine range/health upgrade teritary. 
    For Protoss - You want early ghosts (Barracks, Ghost Academy) which are gas heavy but negate the shields with their EMP.  You want at least 2 early on with 6-9 Maurders and 5-8 marines.  Always have 2-3 ghosts handy in your army and 2-4 medivacs for healing.  EMP and then focus fire down Immortals & Colassi to hurt the toss in their gas units. 
    For Zerg - Don't need ghosts here, other than for nuking/sniping but I honestly don't have that down.  You just need to pump maurders/marines/medivacs with Viking/Banshee support.  If they are heavy roaching, go heavy maurders. Heavy Hyrdas go for more marines and maybe some tanks/hellions.  Heavy Mutas do get beat by straight marines, but hard to pump that many if you are caught flat footed.  Vikings/Marines/Medivac work well, and Thor is probably good though I never get that far.  Terran need to keep early pressure on to prevent an early expansion. 
    For Terran - Again, your Marine/Maurder/Medivac is a mainstay, but you'll need tanks and vikings and ravens as well.  I personally hate mirror matches. 

In general you need to expand relatively early but not as early as Zerg to get your gas production up.  Remember to build extra barracks when you expand.  At least 5 barracks (3 with tech lab, 2 with core) for single expo if you are pumping heavy infrantry and two starports.  Ensure that you pull some SCVs from your main to your expo and put all new mining drones in the expo for maximum uptime with building more SCVs at both locations for later expansion. 

General rules of thumb: 
    Group your unit production buildings by type so that you hit one hotkey and can queue up 3 units in different barracks to pop all at the same time. 
    Always queue up units just before a major attack. 
    Micro/baby your Medivacs and get them out if the army is dead so you can repair them. 
    Use Reapers/Banshees for harassment of expansions and scouting. 
    Always scout early, scout often and have map awareness. Know when your opponent is expanding and either stop him, kill it after investment is sunk or use the distraction to pwn their base. 
    The Zel'Naga towers that grant huge extra map sight are awesome.  Control them. 
    Attack only if you have the bigger (resource) army or know that your opponent doesn't have the counter (no cloak detection for Banshees, no Anti-Air for Vikings, etc.) 
    Don't move your army during an attack.  They don't shoot while moving so they are just dying.  Exception, specific microing of a unit back to draw enemy fire/let an expensive unit live. 

I'm sure there is more and there are way better people than I out there.  Good luck.

Carnage1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Carnage1290

I would say look up some pro's playing in the HLH Invitational on youtube.  I've never really played SC online before either, but by watching some pro's play and picking up some strategies to get started, and unfortunately just playing even though you're probably going to lose, that is how I've learned to play, and I'm decent now.  The matchmaking also seems absolutely great at finding matches that you have a chance of winning or losing once you get passed the placement matches.

Sporkbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Sporkbane

I think a very good thing to do is to simply have a few priorities in mind as you start to play for the first time

1. Keep making workers--This is really crucial during the opening moments of the game, until you are more aware of build orders having constant worker production means you are staying on par with your opponent in terms of resources

2. Don't get supply locked--getting supply blocked means you are going to have a moment where you aren't producing anything, except maybe research or constructing a larger base, but 9/10 times getting more units is better than either of those things, so getting supply blocked is a massive problem. Just peek up at your supply (or food, if you prefer) and when you are getting close to the limit build another supply depot/overlord/pylon.

3.Constantly  be spending resources--this probably takes the most time to really perfect, as even the best players can have a time when they have tons of resources stacked up. Really this is what separates a bad/good/great starcraft player in my mind. If you look at the report after the game is over, you will see a counter for "average unspent resources" You want that number to be as close to 0 as you can. I started in Bronze league averaging around 1k unspent, and now I'm in gold rarely going above 4-5 hundred. 

4. Don't get discouraged! Watching replays of yourself to see where you went wrong or to sneak a peek at an opponents strategy can really be helpful. Always do this if you don't know what beat you or how to counter it. Jumping leagues isn't that hard (I believe brad went from copper to gold himself)

After those basic tips I think the best thing to do is look up early build orders. It's already been mentioned before, but teamliquid.net and liquidpedia 2 are excellent resources for finding new build orders and basic strategy to the game, along with excellent discussions on the topics of timings and macro/micro. Check it out if you really want to get better at the game.

If you ever want to play some 1v1 custom games and get some tips just send me a PM with your identifier/name or whatever it is blizzard is calling it these days. Summer starts for me after my final tomorrow, so I'll probably be on a lot.

Hope this helps!

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sixghost
    @Carnage1290 said:
    " I would say look up some pro's playing in the HLH Invitational on youtube.  I've never really played SC online before either, but by watching some pro's play and picking up some strategies to get started, and unfortunately just playing even though you're probably going to lose, that is how I've learned to play, and I'm decent now.  The matchmaking also seems absolutely great at finding matches that you have a chance of winning or losing once you get passed the placement matches. "

That's the absolute last thing a beginning player should do. Other than just for the enjoyment of it, they really gain nothing by watching pros play. The best way to learn is to find someone a little better than you, and watch some of your replays with them. I've been a member of Teamliquid.net for years, but to be honest it's not really the most accessible place for beginners. Unless you are willing to not understand 99% of what you are reading wait until you have a bit more knowledge about the game to start reading TL's strategy section.

Right now you just need to learn the fundamental RTS skills which are, understanding basic strategies(i.e. map control, why timing pushes work, when and why to expand, etc), using hotkeys and control groups, and macroing(read: making tons of workers, then making tons of unit producing buildings, then making tons of units)

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=60601

That's the link to the Brood War recommended threads thread on TL, I HIGHLY recommend reading some of the threads in the "Beginner" tab under "General Guides". It's alot about how you need to think about RTS games in general.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Donos

Now that I think of it, try checking out some of the replays from the Giant Bomb SC tourney. I took a glance through and they actually demonstrate a lot of good beginner and intermediate strategies, being used by people with realistic and achievable APMs.

TheRemedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By TheRemedy

This isn't purely for newbies, but I'd like to recommend Day9 to you. He's an excellent commentator who covers plat level games. You can watch him stream live here...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/day9tv

Here's his schedule 
    7pm PST Sunday, 10pm PST Monday, 7pm PST Tuesday, 9pm PST Wednesday, 7pm PST Thursday.

MrWillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By MrWillz

Thanks for all the good recommendations.  I will definitely look into all of them. 

Carnage1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Carnage1290
    @sixghost said:
    " @Carnage1290 said:
    " I would say look up some pro's playing in the HLH Invitational on youtube.  I've never really played SC online before either, but by watching some pro's play and picking up some strategies to get started, and unfortunately just playing even though you're probably going to lose, that is how I've learned to play, and I'm decent now.  The matchmaking also seems absolutely great at finding matches that you have a chance of winning or losing once you get passed the placement matches. "

That's the absolute last thing a beginning player should do. Other than just for the enjoyment of it, they really gain nothing by watching pros play. The best way to learn is to find someone a little better than you, and watch some of your replays with them. I've been a member of Teamliquid.net for years, but to be honest it's not really the most accessible place for beginners. Unless you are willing to not understand 99% of what you are reading wait until you have a bit more knowledge about the game to start reading TL's strategy section.

Right now you just need to learn the fundamental RTS skills which are, understanding basic strategies(i.e. map control, why timing pushes work, when and why to expand, etc), using hotkeys and control groups, and macroing(read: making tons of workers, then making tons of unit producing buildings, then making tons of units)

That's the link to the Brood War recommended threads thread on TL, I HIGHLY recommend reading some of the threads in the "Beginner" tab under "General Guides". It's alot about how you need to think about RTS games in general.

"
    Well, yeah, I definitely see your point, that's how I tried to get better and I think it worked for me.  I'm never gonna say I'm actually good at the game but I'm decent and have won a few matches.  Watching the really good players in SC did help me to some degree because it was a commentated match and they explained what the players were doing in the game, but it probably isn't the best way to learn.  You can learn broad strokes from watching them though, like sending a worker to scout out the opponents base, and how the terrain build a wall at the ramp of their base with supply depots.  Gotta say though, that website is completely impenetrable for me, I have no idea where to begin on that site.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By sixghost
    @Carnage1290 said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Carnage1290 said:

"
    Well, yeah, I definitely see your point, that's how I tried to get better and I think it worked for me.  I'm never gonna say I'm actually good at the game but I'm decent and have won a few matches.  Watching the really good players in SC did help me to some degree because it was a commentated match and they explained what the players were doing in the game, but it probably isn't the best way to learn.  You can learn broad strokes from watching them though, like sending a worker to scout out the opponents base, and how the terrain build a wall at the ramp of their base with supply depots.  Gotta say though, that website is completely impenetrable for me, I have no idea where to begin on that site. "

Yeah when I first started playing BW I was so overwhelmed by most of the stuff on teamliquid. The beginner section in the Recommended threads is probably the best place to start. There are some great articles written by vets of TL that try to explain most of the basic concepts you'll need to understand the more advanced ones.

But I do agree with you about commentated vods, that was what really helped me through the early days, mostly just because it was fun to watch. You are right, you can learn very very basic stuff from pro vods, like why you should scout, common unit compositions and general strategies, etc, but 99% of the time a beginner won't understand why a player did strategy x, which is why you need someone around your skill level to explain stuff like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.