Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Where to begin learning strategy

OddyKnocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By OddyKnocky

So I'm getting pretty into the multiplayer of this game now, but not having ever played an RTS against other people before this I'm inevitably not very good. I'm having fun finding things out, and I have a basic idea of how a match should play out, but I'm looking for a good place to find some basic strats for all three races (as I can't decide on a main, I like them all too much). Standard builds, that kind of thing. I've seen links to Team Liquid on here and had a look, but I'm not familiar with all the jargon just yet and a lot of the discussion was about strategies I haven't learned yet. Anyone have any ideas?

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By evildeadron

watch a lot of the casts on youtube to learn all of the jargon etc and pick up some good tips and strategies, Husky, HD, Starcraft amateur hour are all really good, and they have their own dedicated starcraft forums where you can read strategies, download replays etc. since you have not found a main race yet, try them all against the ai until you pick one your really good with and use that against real players...gl hf
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aetos

Watch HD and Husky casts on youtube. You can pick up on some tips there by watching the videos.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nephrahim
    @Tactical_Kill said:
    "

Watch HD and Husky casts on youtube. You can pick up on some tips there by watching the videos.

"
    While these two are ALRIGHT, they're really more about having fun casting high level replays. 

What you really want to do is head over to Day9's casts.   http://day9tv.blip.tv/ 

He pauses the action and constantly explains everything in every cast he does.  It's the most informative anywhere.  In particular, you want to see this one.   http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3732340/  This video covers the basics of every single SC2 match you will ever play.  Not in terms of unit counters, but just what you need to know that the game will not explain to you. 

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3991475/  Is a good one too.  
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nephrahim
    mech4399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By mech4399

Above advises are pretty good. Find really good replays and watch them for the build orders. Top players from Teamliquid is a good start. I like Idra for Zerg, White-Ra for protoss, and most TLO for terran. TLO sometimes plays random though. Its one thing to know the build orders, but seeing how they are executed is something else. osgSTC, i think is korean terran player and he is very very good. Like Brad said on the podcast, learn from the best.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar
    @SamDrugbringer:  That was really fucking helpful!
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nephrahim
    @Turambar said:
    " @SamDrugbringer:  That was really fucking helpful! "
    Just as long as you don't show up tomorrow :p  If you won your next two matches you would play me :)
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Cirdain

Great this page is bookmarked.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By haffy

Save every replay you lose. Figure out why you lost, work out what you could of done to win.
    OddyKnocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OddyKnocky

Some really awesome stuff there guys, thanks a lot.

Killboyy777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Killboyy777

www.day9ty.blip.tv  - this guy is awesome, he doesnt just cast matches, but talks strat in a way any newb can understand 

if you dont watch day9, you dont know starcraft 2

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sodiumCyclops

A lot of people have told me to go here to get tips:

http://www.shokzguide.com/

Lordborg909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lordborg909
    @SamDrugbringer said:
    " @Tactical_Kill said:

What you really want to do is head over to Day9's casts.   http://day9tv.blip.tv/ 

He pauses the action and constantly explains everything in every cast he does.  It's the most informative anywhere.  In particular, you want to see this one.   http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3732340/  This video covers the basics of every single SC2 match you will ever play.  Not in terms of unit counters, but just what you need to know that the game will not explain to you. 

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3991475/  Is a good one too.   "
    This.... I spent like a hour watching one of these, he explained what HE does in a toss game in such a way as to make it so very understandable.... great viewing!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.